• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Terra ED vs Conquest HD (1 Viewer)

I agree with the Porsche analogy, and [yes] I was one of those Porschephiles [and owners] that was aghast at the decision to build SUV's. And Lee is right, it likely did save the brand and allowed development of the rest of the sportscar line-up. That said, Porsche is now selling SUV's nearly 2 to 1 over their sports car models and could, conceivable, become an SUV company 1st with a boutique line of sports cars - BAD!

Hopefully Zeiss keeps the emphasis on the upper tier and doesn't go ''all in'' on the lower tier stuff, and keeps spending the dollars on R & D for even more cutting edge designs.

I agree with the Porsche analogy, and [yes] I was one of those Porschephiles [and owners] that was aghast at the decision to build SUV's. And Lee is right, it likely did save the brand and allowed development of the rest of the sportscar line-up. That said, Porsche is now selling SUV's nearly 2 to 1 over their sports car models and could, conceivable, become an SUV company 1st with a boutique line of sports cars - BAD!

Hopefully Zeiss keeps the emphasis on the upper tier and doesn't go ''all in'' on the lower tier stuff, and keeps spending the dollars on R & D for even more cutting edge designs.

Absolutely agree.

Lee

I think optics reached the end of cutting edge years ago...glass quality, coating quality..since then its just been tweaking......and figuring out how to make it cheaper than the other guy.......but they have had the ability to produce Hubble quality optics for a long time......Its just how much do you want to pay for top end and how good is good enough for your entry and mid level offerings.............

I think optics reached the end of cutting edge years ago...glass quality, coating quality..since then its just been tweaking......and figuring out how to make it cheaper than the other guy.......but they have had the ability to produce Hubble quality optics for a long time......Its just how much do you want to pay for top end and how good is good enough for your entry and mid level offerings.............

I'm thinking about the inevitable digital / IS epoch....

that is a possibility....but personally I don't like it ....I like glass, metal, prisms.....smooth focuser....the image stabilizers might be OK if they could guarantee them for 10years.....and still have the bins look sexy....:-O

Btw, sorry for all the posts. Just trying to adhere to the rule requiring X amount of posts before you can have privileges like any other full member.

Btw, sorry for all the posts. Just trying to adhere to the rule requiring X amount of posts before you can have privileges like any other full member.

You are in very bad form, simply on here to try to sell some binoculars.:C

I found you posting on another site, trying to sell.

I don't like that, and it needs to be pointed out.

Jerry

it really should be in the for sale section.....this is the personal opinion, optics BS section....

I'm with you, James, The Terra is OK, sort of anyway, but no more than that. Mediocre, no more. And I still believe Zeiss should not have started selling a mediocre Chinese-made binocular under the Zeiss label.

No, it's not Zeiss. Not at all.

Hermann

Herman and others:

This is not picking on you at all, but just to point out Zeiss and some
of their past offerings.

Zeiss Diafun. I have not tried one, but have found they were an
entry level model. So the Terra is nothing new.

Jerry

I have 2 pair diafuns.....very good glass....a little short on design and build quality....but they still work fine for 20yr old bins.....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back