• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Linnet Murmuration (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
The sky thin ice, blue and brittle,
The winter-dead wood so many reaching
Bony fingers rattling in the grave cold wind.
In the harrowed sun-warmed hollow
Of the furrowed field
Five hundred Linnets skim and swirl
Like Dunlin above tide-hidden sands.
Their gathered sound in multiples pulses
Softly as the flighty flock swarms,
Circles, spirals and finally settles.

From out of the long-stretched shadows
A Sparrowhawk, dark against the stubble
Glides low towards the game herds ahead.
Finches rise and the flock splinters,
On the flanks of the hawk heading for
The impossibility of hiding from
A thousand eyes.

LOL H I've never thought of calling it a murmuration, but you're right, it is very like that when a flock takes off. a great sight.

Many thanks for your lovely posts throughout 2017 - I've loved reading them all, and look forward to what you have for us in 2018.

Happy New Year to you and your family lad.

The sky thin ice, blue and brittle,
The winter-dead wood so many reaching
Bony fingers rattling in the grave cold wind.
In the harrowed sun-warmed hollow
Of the furrowed field
Five hundred Linnets skim and swirl
Like Dunlin above tide-hidden sands.
Their gathered sound in multiples pulses
Softly as the flighty flock swarms,
Circles, spirals and finally settles.

From out of the long-stretched shadows
A Sparrowhawk, dark against the stubble
Glides low towards the game herds ahead.
Finches rise and the flock splinters,
On the flanks of the hawk heading for
The impossibility of hiding from
A thousand eyes.
I really like this one, H--just beautiful, even though it feels so cold! Gene and I head for Peregrine in a few days for a few weeks of warmth--not that we are as cold as you. Winter is finally on the way here though--we are due to get some rain while we're gone--a "Pineapple Express" is on the horizon.

thanks Kits & Sue.

Sue: have a great time back on board. Hope it's all fair winds and calm waters.
Thanks, H. We will definitely have calm waters, LOL. We aren't leaving the dock! I know Gene would love to go sailing--it's been years, but he isn't quite strong enough. He only got his feeding tube out in November. We went at that time stayed aboard, but for only a week. I was afraid he'd lose weight and just wanted a quick trip to see how he'd do. He gained 2 pounds. So this visit we're going for two weeks. When he gains some weight and strength we'll try a sail.
Sue (aka Nurse Diesel)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back