• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod head change (1 Viewer)

kim

I have a Canon 7d Mark 2 and have just changed my lens to a more heavy Canon 300mmf2.8 and find my current Manfrotto ball head inadequate. I would be grateful for any suggestions or recommendations which would be more suitable for my current set up. Many thanks, Kim

I've just upgraded from a 7Dmk2 to a 5Dmk4 and use a Canon 300f2.8 and use a Manfrotto MVH500AH Head and find it to be okay.

Thank you Geoff, my current set up lacks smoothness and feels unstable, will look yours up.

Certainly not a cheap option but I would suggest a Gimbal head. The (pricey) Wimberley 2 is nice but more than you need for a 300 F2.8. Perhaps one of the smaller Jobu or Lensmaster models?

I have discovered that there is a branch of WEX in Manchester, I live near Chester so think it best if I go and try some out. Many thanks for your suggestions.

It is becoming more difficult. Nowhere in the Northwest seems to stock them. Wex has lots of branches but they do not have them in stock. It is a bit of a pain to have to buy then return if not quite what was wanted.

I have the 500 and a 502 from Manfrotto and both are good but I use the 502 for my big Kowa scope. If you prefer a ball head then a sirui K30 or K40 should do just fine and they are about a third the price of a RRS 55 head.
Steve

I went to Calumet (Wex Manchester) on Saturday and found them to be absolutely brilliant. I ended up with the Benro GH2 Gimbal head. They gave me a good discount too. Thanks for all your help, really appreciated.

Glad to hear that you are happy with your new toy - enjoy!

Whilst I find my fluid head great for my scope I much prefer a gimbal head for photography.

Let us know how you get on.

Certainly not a cheap option but I would suggest a Gimbal head. The (pricey) Wimberley 2 is nice but more than you need for a 300 F2.8. Perhaps one of the smaller Jobu or Lensmaster models?
I bought, after your recommendation, the Benro Gimbal head, and am absolutely chuffed to bits with it. It’s an absolute pleasure to use. Thanks for your advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back