• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cirl Buntings in august (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
Hi, have a few days in Dawlish in early august. Anyone got any advice on Cirl Buntings at that time of year, I know there are a few local reserves/spots but was unsure if they were any good in the summer.

I don't mind doing a couple of hours of searching if there isn't a nailed on place but I want to be sure I'm looking in the right area.

Hi Owene. I was at Broadsands today and there were a few feeding on some seed that had been put down. Don't know if they're there in the summer though.

Rich

I'm not sure either, but they ought to be at Labrador Bay at that time because that's breeding territory. A couple of hours certainly ought to get you a few there.

John

I'm not sure either, but they ought to be at Labrador Bay at that time because that's breeding territory. A couple of hours certainly ought to get you a few there.

John

You would be very unlucky not to see Cirl Buntings within ten minutes at Labrador Bay - as often as not you hear them as you get out of your car. I go at the end of August every year and usually see double figures without too much effort.

Steve

Hmmm not sure if this will be acceptable.
It is august and it is Devon...am I allowed to ask if I’m likely to see these near Dartmouth.

I realise it's not August, but would like to jump on to this thread as we're in the area next weekend (5th November) visiting daughter at Plymouth Uni.

Other than Labrador Bay (where I blanked in September when we dropped her off!!) where are any good suggestions in the area between Callilngton (where we're staying) & Plymouth to potentially see Cirls?

Thanks, Richard

I realise it's not August, but would like to jump on to this thread as we're in the area next weekend (5th November) visiting daughter at Plymouth Uni.

Other than Labrador Bay (where I blanked in September when we dropped her off!!) where are any good suggestions in the area between Callilngton (where we're staying) & Plymouth to potentially see Cirls?

Thanks, Richard
Don't know about inland as you've asked but Wembury is not far from Plymouth and I've seen them there fairly easily over the years along the coast path West from the beach car park.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back