• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa vs Opticron 60mm (1 Viewer)

dunder

Hi,
I'm looking to purchase a lightweight 60mm scope for use when walking reasonable distances, but want better resolution than my MM2. I've narrowed my options down to:

Opticron IS60 WP + 32x HDF eyepiece = £259
Kowa TSN 601 + 30x WA eyepiece = £550
Kowa TS 611 + 27x eyepiece ~ £200 off Ebay

Obviously the 601 will be better than the opticron, but is it really good enough to warrant paying over twice as much?

Would I be better off getting the (older model) TS 611 and waiting until TSN 601's come down in price or secondhand start to become available, upgrading eyepiece first then scope?

Any thoughts much appreciated,

Dunder

Hi Dunder,
Difficult choice but I'll try and give you some info. I have used both Opticron and Kowa Scopes, I currently own a TS 611 myself and use this as my "travel scope". The Opticron IS60 is a great scope too, especially with the HDF eyepiece; the standard eyepieces are ok but the HDF eyepieces really lift the image. With the 611 and the 27x eyepiece you will get a nice, bright wide FOV but the eyepiece will undoubtably be the older type with the rubber fold down eye cups. The good thing about the 611 and 601 is that second hand eyepieces are reasonably available, including the older TSN 20 and 30x which again improve the views at relatively low cost. I recently tried the newer 30x Kowa eyepiece with twist up eye cups and compared with an older TSN 30x and in my opinion, the slight improvement didn't warrant the price. Price and weight are the obvious consideration. The Opticron IS60 will probably weigh less than the Kowa TS611 and on a long walk around a larger reserve or over moorland, that will make a difference as well as saving those precious few g in luggage allowance for international travel. The IS60 is waterproof too whereas the 611 isn't and would need a stay on case. Although the TS601 is a great scope I think £550 is quite a price to pay for what could be a secondary scope. Saying that the Kowas are well built and will take a bit of punishment, lobbing into and ragging out of a rucksack as mine have been. I guess it depends on how you choose to transport it and again padded cases may be a consideration. I guess if I was buying new, I'd go for the IS60 with the HDF eyepiece, for value/weight ratio, think I'd still get a case too, knowing what a klutz I can be in the field sometimes!!! Eagerness to view a bird can overrride hand/eye coordination! Best thing to do is have a look through as many as you can in that range. Good luck.

hI Dunder,

I'd forget the Opticron Is60 and go for the Gs665, a far far better scope
I use one with and HDF 25x and its a very lightweight setup. I use the combination on a monopod with no problems. you can get the Gs665 from Sherwoods (binocularhouse.com) for £245, Hdf eyepiece for £119 so not a bad price.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back