• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where have you been? (country lists) (1 Viewer)

In rough order:

UK
Spain (2 trips)
Poland
USA - New York
Gambia (3 trips)
USA - Texas
France
Belgium
Holland
India
Colombia (numerous times)
Panama
Peru
Brazil
Thailand
Greece (twice)
Bonaire (Dutch Antilles)

Have been in (but not "to")
Venezuela
Bahrain
Curacao

Remembers me of a story a Finnish guide told me. When crossing the border from Norway to Finland his customers wanted a stamp in their passport. As there is usually nobody around they looked out for an official and eventually found one. But he didn't have the right stamp, so he stamped the passport with something like "Please forward to ..." in Finnish. The customers were happy and the guide was smiling.....

There will be some worried birders now......

I only really started making an effort to search out birds in the last 4 or 5 years, and even since then, I am not a great birder - and far from dedicated - so don't see or identify many species, and also only spend a fraction of any holiday or trip actually birding. Nevertheless, I like travel and am lucky to have got to several interesting places with work, and I also am a bit of a list nerd!

So, of the 42 countries I have visited in my life, I have bird lists for 17 of them! In roughly chronological order:

UK (177 birds)
France (49)
Germany (48)
Belgium (no list)
Netherlands (11!)
Luxembourg (no list)
Denmark (21)
Sweden (28)
Czech Republic (no list)
Slovakia (no list)
Hungary (no list)
Austria (5!!)
Italy (no list, although did see black grouse there!)
Greece (no list)
Monaco (no list)
Spain (96)
Morocco (no list)
Tunisia (no list)
Hong Kong (no list)
China (no list)
Canada (no list)
Malta (no list)
USA (8!!!)
Switzerland (32)
Bahrain (no list)
Oman (no list)
UAE (no list)
India (72)
Vietnam (no list)
Thailand (no list)
Kenya (91)
Tanzania (2!!!)
Japan (no list)
Ireland (11)
Singapore (no list)
Cambodia (no list)
Poland (no list, although I do remember seeing a field full of common cranes from a car while being driven to a meeting near Gdansk!)
Liechtenstein (no list)
Finland (no list)
Norway (29)
Sint Maarten/Saint Martin (5)
British Virgin Islands (22)

Last edited:
1. Norway
2. Sweden
3. Denmark
4. Germany
5. Ireland
6. UK
7. France
8. Belgium
9. Luxemburg
10. Netherlands
11. Spain
12. Portugal
13. Morocco
14. Czech Republic
15. Austria
16. Liechtenstein
17. Switzerland
18. Italy
19. Vatican
20. Slovakia
21. Hungary
22. Slovenia
23. Croatia
24. Bosnia
25. Greece
26. Qatar
27. Singapore
28. Indonesia
29. Australia
30. New Zealand
31. USA
32. Costa Rica
33. Panama
34. Brazil
35. Bolivia
36. Argentina
37. Paraguay

Next destinations will be Finland in February, Istanbul/Turkey for spring migration and maybe later this year Gambia.

I've done a bit of travelling. The countries in Europe I DON't have a bird list for are:-
Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Estonia, Georgia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova ( I don't think anuone else on here has birded there either ), San Marino, Ukraine or the Vatican.
I've birded Azores, Canaries, Cape Verdes, Egypt, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Uganda, Madeira, Morocco, Senegal, Tanzania ( just the far north + Zanzibar ) + Tunisia in Africa,
Brunei, China ( incl. Hong Kong + Tibet ), India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Nepal, Russia ( Tuva + Altai Rep.), Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, UAE + Vietnam in Asia
Argentina ( just 24hrs ), Canada, Costa Rica, Chile, Cuba, Dom Rep, Falklands ( + Sth. Georgia, Sth. Orkney, Sth. Shetland, Antarctic Pen., Tristan da Cunha, Gough + deps), Jamaica, Trinidad
, USA + Venezuela in Americas
Australia, Fiji, New Zealand, Palau, Western Samoa, F.S.M. + Northern Marianas in Australasia + Pacific.

Still a hell of a lot to do.

Chris

Hi Chris,

My birded-in country list is probably less than 10% of yours, but I seem to have got one ahead of you: Moldova (121 birds seen) ;)

Cheers, Florian

My country list:
Belgium
Netherlands
Luxemburg
Germany
France
Switzerland
Italy
Spain
US (New England, Florida, NYC, Arizona, Seattle)
Canada (Southern BC)
Mexico
Ecuador (twice)
Colombia (twice)
Brazil (South-east)
Tanzania (Uluguru mountains)

A paltry 15 countries. :)

Cheers,

filip

Current list of countries:

1. UK - Home
2. France - School trip in about 1990, I've only done airport transfers there since
3. Greece - Corfu, Crete, Rhodes and most recently Samos between 1992 and 2012 with various degrees of birding.
4. Cyprus - Twice in 1994 and then 1995. Was learning to bird around this time and picked up my first decent list of European species in 1995.
5. Spain - Holiday in 1996 then regularly from 2006 when my parents moved there, still a good few species to find, it's a very big country! Also been to Tenerife and Lanzarote but not birding.
6. Cuba - Non birding trip back in 2000. This was the place which gave me the travel bug.
7. Germany - 2003 with a bit of birding in the Alps.
8. Austria - Visit to Salzburg from Germany in 2003
9. Sri Lanka - Island tour where I got to do some birding but not as much as I'd have liked. 2004
10. Bulgaria - Birding trip 2005
11. Kenya - Safari in 2006, crossed the border into 12. Tanzania for 10 mins or so where the Masai Mara becomes the Serengeti.
13. Ecuador - General tour in 2007, did some birding on my free days but needed to spend a month or two there!
14. Netherlands Antilles Strictly speaking an airport transfer at Bonaire when it was still part of the Netherlands Antilles but we did cross the tarmac on foot and I have 2 bird species recorded for the country. 2007
15. Jordan and 16. Egypt Historical tour with a few notable species picked up. 2008
17. USA - Texas migration at High Island and the surrounding area in 2009
18. Hungary and 19. Romania - Birding tour in 2010
20. Gambia - Birding tour, my report is available on this site. 2011
21. Senegal - Spent the morning over the border from Gambia.
22. Turkey - Day trip from Samos in 2012
23. Iceland - Birding tour, my report is available on this site. 2012
24. Andorra - Another border crossing while birding the Pyrenees. 2012

25. Poland - Krakow stag weekend and 26. Slovakia Couldn't be that close to the border and not go across it!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back