• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hugh's Fish Fight: 1/8 CH4 19.00-20.00pm 2/3/2014 (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hugh's Fish Fight: 1/8 Sunday CH4 19.00-20.00pm 2/3/2014

Hi there

This is the other original thread that had the last series dealing with same issues as before. Now it is back once more with Hugh at the mask!

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=251232&highlight=Krill

Back to a second helping of the second part of Hugh's Fish fight

New programmes are on the link:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/hughs-fish-fight/episode-guide

In the 2nd episode of *** Save our Seas'**** is about the issues with 'commercial use' of Krill, and the effect it has on wildlife.

From what I remember before there are a lot issues with the effect on seabirds especially Puffins, and other birdlife.

I see that Krill is being advertised on UK TV as before, a great tablet to fix everything. So it carries on as it did before with Krill (not in my in beliefs at all)

Love to hear what is said about issues as Hugh goes out of his way for wildlife to give us the viewing public our monies worth.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Krill is also an important food source for Baleen Whales such as Blue, and 'nearer to home' species like Minke among others, and like the 'wholesale hoovering up' of sandeels in the past as a cheap source of animal feed and fertiliser - badly affecting seabirds et al. (Sea temperatures warming, notwithstanding.) Is Krill to be the "new panacea for healthy living from the 'never ending' resources of exploitation of the seas? When will Man ever learn??

Krill is also an important food source for Baleen Whales such as Blue, and 'nearer to home' species like Minke among others, and like the 'wholesale hoovering up' of sandeels in the past as a cheap source of animal feed and fertiliser - badly affecting seabirds et al. (Sea temperatures warming, notwithstanding.) Is Krill to be the "new panacea for healthy living from the 'never ending' resources of exploitation of the seas? When will Man ever learn??

Hi bird-nut

So true with what you say about the Krill. It is one unnecessary food that is not needed at all - other than for pet food and pill popping. I will never buy a Krill pill in my lifetime

Mankind will never learn from his mistakes until it is too late

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/hughs-fish-fight/episode-guide

I see that the first progamme covered issues to do with all of the other programmes

The issues with Krill covered 10 mins 20.35-20.45pm of the video

Not to say that that all of the content of every progamme coming up is interesting to watch. and is a conservation issue most of all.

The positive issues is that fish are not being thrown away if a daily catch goes over the weight limit... so that is good too.

Simply by re-designing the nets - small fish cannot be caught in the same way anymore. It affects all of us as people, and the governments need to act as they should.

1st programme: I was amazed that in some countries laws are 'still' flaunting the law when it comes to breaking the code of conduct. The 'inbuilt' area of protected marine conservation areas, and the on-going 'continual' senseless fishing quota - mind boggling as it is.

Local people are poor, and that not help at all. It needs re-education, and that is the only way to get the message though that fish need to multiply, and they have no chance with the overfishing as it is.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back