• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sigma 150/600 (5 Viewers)

The sharpness would not be greatly affected if noise reduction not was used but the noise would be greater.

The Tamron shot at f8 on the D810 would be about the same as the Sigma on the same camera at f6.3 from my current experience.
It is a shame I do not have 2 full frame cameras to do more tests of the same bird, they never stick around long enough for me to swap cameras ...

Is it possible on the next test shots to put the Tamron on the D810 and the Sigma on the 7100? This way we can see how much better/worse the performances are depending on what camera they are on.

Is it possible on the next test shots to put the Tamron on the D810 and the Sigma on the 7100? This way we can see how much better/worse the performances are depending on what camera they are on.

Sure, why not? :t:

BTW my tamron is very good at f8, problem is that in the UK you cannot often use f8 ...

This is the full frame of a shot with the Tamron at f8 in Cyprus and below the crop:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfoq0u01upllo7t/crop 810_3615.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hp096311pjkdp6j/810_3615.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:
Bearing in mind that I am viewing on an Android tablet and can't download the shot, that Shrike shot looks really nice. I am guessing that was taken on the 810?

And I disagree about not being able to use F8 in the UK - I clearly remember on midsummers day 1976 that the sun did shine brightly! On the other hand, today was so dim that I didn't even take my camera out of the house which was a shame because I had a male barn owl soooo close that I could hear the silence of its wings. If they stay in that area I'm in with a shout this summer!

Bearing in mind that I am viewing on an Android tablet and can't download the shot, that Shrike shot looks really nice. I am guessing that was taken on the 810?

And I disagree about not being able to use F8 in the UK - I clearly remember on midsummers day 1976 that the sun did shine brightly! On the other hand, today was so dim that I didn't even take my camera out of the house which was a shame because I had a male barn owl soooo close that I could hear the silence of its wings. If they stay in that area I'm in with a shout this summer!

The Shrike was on the D800e
And it was 1986 ;)

Sure, why not? :t:

BTW my tamron is very good at f8, problem is that in the UK you cannot often use f8 ...

This is the full frame of a shot with the Tamron at f8 in Cyprus and below the crop:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfoq0u01upllo7t/crop 810_3615.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hp096311pjkdp6j/810_3615.jpg?dl=0

I know you kind of said this in a previous post but just sure I want to understand. Is what I am about to say correct in your opinion:

The Tamron at f8 and the Sigma at f6.3 have similar image quality? (Does one have an edge?)

The Sigma is sharper than the Tamron when both are at f6.3. (seems clear from the woodpecker shots and the bullfinch)

Now some questions:

When both are at f8 which has the edge?
Which has better IS?
Which would you consider a better all around lens? Specifically, does the increased weight of the Sigma make it more difficult to handhold and keep steady? Or do you find that the increased weight is offset a bit by the ability to shoot at f6.3 instead of f8 and therefore have a faster shutter speed in the same lighting?

I know you kind of said this in a previous post but just sure I want to understand. Is what I am about to say correct in your opinion:

The Tamron at f8 and the Sigma at f6.3 have similar image quality? (Does one have an edge?)

The Sigma is sharper than the Tamron when both are at f6.3. (seems clear from the woodpecker shots and the bullfinch)

Now some questions:

When both are at f8 which has the edge?
Which has better IS?
Which would you consider a better all around lens? Specifically, does the increased weight of the Sigma make it more difficult to handhold and keep steady? Or do you find that the increased weight is offset a bit by the ability to shoot at f6.3 instead of f8 and therefore have a faster shutter speed in the same lighting?

The Sigma at f6.3 is approximately as good as the Tamron at f8
At f8 the Sigma is better (as expected)

The stabilization of the Tamron is supposed to be a little better (around half a stop) but the Sigma OS seems to take less time to stabilise the image.

I find the weight of the Sigma to help me hold it steady more easily BUT I have been handling much heavier lenses before (including the 400mm 2.8 and 600mm f4) so I am used to hand holding heavier lenses.

I find the Sigma a better all-around lens due to:

1. Better overall sharpness and less chromatic aberrations (especially open wide)
2. Better AF
3. Better weather sealing
4. Better overall build (feels more sturdy, much closer to the Nikon primes)
5. Supports push/pull zooming
6. AF with the 1.4x
7. Custom modes setting with the dock which allow for much better BIF shots (my settings are outlined below)

Normal mode
------------------
Focus: Standard
Focus limiter : 10m to infinity
OS setting : Standard

C1
----
Focus: Drive speed-priority
Focus limiter : 20m to infinity
OS setting : Dynamic

C2
----
Focus : accuracy-priority
Focus limiter : 30m to infinity
OS setting : Moderate

The Tamron is also a fantastic lens and I will surely keep it until I test the contemporary version of the Sigma.

For those that may be interested there is a very thorough review of the 100-400 ii on (the digital picture.com) website. It compares some of its closest competition and comes out very well. Its an interesting read.

For those that may be interested there is a very thorough review of the 100-400 ii on (the digital picture.com) website. It compares some of its closest competition and comes out very well. Its an interesting read.
Also interesting is the Digital pictures lens comparison tool Paul. The Sigma 150-600 is not on their yet but the 100/400 mk2 is. What is a big eye opener for me is comparing the 100/400 mkII on the 1Ds3 against the same lens on the 7D2.

Last edited:
And the Canon 100-400 mkii versus the Tamron 150-600, both at f5.6, both on Canon 1Ds mk iii. Much closer IMHO

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...meraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=3&APIComp=0

Edit: just checked the Canon with 1.4x against the Tamron at 500mm. Not sure that would convince me to buy the new Canon and stick a converter on it (I won't be buying it anyway)

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...meraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=4&APIComp=0

And canon vs tamron 560mm vs 600mm @ f8
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...meraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=5&APIComp=2

Tamron looks better in center. Hmm
I have found that you have to be very weary of these lens comparisons that were done with a full frame camera like the 1Ds III if you intend to use a lens with a crop Camera.
Full frame Cameras are very forgiving but crop Cameras can bring out the worst in lenses and are much more demanding. Some lenses can perform reasonable well on a full frame but poorly on a cropper (especially a 1.6 cropper). Ideally you need to compare lenses on a similar type of Camera to the one you intend using them on. The digital picture lens comparisons have some lens samples on up to three different Cameras whereas others are just with one Camera.
In General decent prime lenses will perform well on any sensor type whereas zooms can be variable.

If anyone is looking for a Canon fit one, I have one on reserve until lunchtime tomorrow that they can have as the friend I reserved it for already bought one.

Agreed closer is always better, it's was good to see which lens they would pick up given a specific situation ie walking or in a hide.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back