• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iceland May 15th -22nd 2016. (1 Viewer)

Stunning photos as ever. Phalaropes, like dotterel, have brighter females than males - so you might want to rethink the behaviour you witnessed!

Rob

Stunning photos as ever. Phalaropes, like dotterel, have brighter females than males - so you might want to rethink the behaviour you witnessed!

Rob

Thanks for that information Rob, really appreciated. I had checked my Collins guide but the male/female symbols are so small I didn't notice which was which and assumed the bolder plumage was the male.
I'm in shock to think I was witnessing an attempted sex crime!

Really enjoyed that Dave. As others have said your photos are great. Iceland is one of those places I'd love to visit one day.

Rich

Thanks Rich, I'll try and get another episode done soon. I was pleasantly surprised that it cost us less than we expected and if I'd known the weather was going to be so good I'd have stayed a few of days more to take in some of the sights as well as the birds.

Dave, been stuck in the depths of the Dordogne with no wifi. Was looking forward to this when I was able to access. Not disappointed, absolutely superb. Glad the weather turned out OK after your worries beforehand.

Phil

Thanks for the comments everyone. It's much appreciated that some people enjoy the read and the photos.
This one is now completed and my thoughts are on next years expedition.
Any suggestions for a 7-10 day trip more than welcomed.
In the meantime, I would highly recommend Iceland to those who have yet to try it. Some cost details are mentioned in my report and it's not nearly as expensive as I thought it would be, in fact it has been possibly the cheapest trip of the 4 pal Mike and I have taken abroad together.
Read on !
http://davewilliamsnaturephotography.blogspot.co.uk

Thank you so much!
Wonderful trip report and just outstanding photography.
The snipe in flight shots are just unreal, it is not easy to follow them with binoculars, much less a long zoom lens.

Great report Dave.
We've been on a photographic sabbatical for five consecutive years to some cracking locations.
For me, this one was the most productive and enjoyable. Perhaps because everything was done under our own steam, no guides or facilities required!
Blessed with good weather and extended daylight hours we were able to fill our boots.
Roll on next year!
Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back