• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

trip to Oman (1 Viewer)

ammadoux

Registered doux
started the trip on 24th of July.

two days in Muscat, i have seen.

Indian Roller (lifer)8-P
Graceful pirina
Rose necked parakeet
Common Myna
Red vented bulbul
Gray Francloin (i think) about 10 in the hotel garden, (lifer) 8-P
Red Watelled lapeing. (lifer) 8-P
common sandpiper
purple sunbird (lifer) 8-P
Egyptian vulture (lifer) 8-P

Jabal Alakhdar region (27-29th July)

House sparrows
Indian silverbills
Swifts (not sure of the ID)
Desert lark (lifer) 8-P
Hume's wheatear (lifer) 8-P
Egyptian vulture
Striolated bunting
voice similar to the graceful pirina but sure not, could it be scrub warbler

Sallalah (30 - 1st of Aug)

Garceful pirina many with young ones
Swift (not sure of the iD)
Shining sunbird (lifer) 8-P
a large gray sunbird thought it might be Socotra but now i think its maybe imm shining sunbird.
Kestrel
Tirstam Starling (lifer) 8-P
Sooty Gulls
Lesser crested terns
Laughing dove
African Collared dove
Red shanks
Ruppell's weaver
Indian Silverbills
Cinnamon breasted bunting. (lifer) 8-P

Holy cow, you got another lifer since I last spoke with you Duha! Sounds like this was a very productive holiday for you ;)

OMG Doux!!! What a wonderful time you had in Oman lass.

All those Lifer's you got too. You lucky girl!

Duha, the swifts would be Forbes-Watson's.

The sunbird was definitely Shining. However, you don't find African Collared Dove in the Salalah area.

Duha, the swifts would be Forbes-Watson's.

The sunbird was definitely Shining. However, you don't find African Collared Dove in the Salalah area.

I think Forbes-Watson's Swift is only in Dhofar and Duha mentions swifts from much further northeast. My guess is they may have been Pallid but it's hard to know without more information.

African Collared Dove is certainly found in Dhofar, but maybe not so much in the immediate vicinity of Salalah. It's quite a lot rarer than Collared Dove.

I think Forbes-Watson's Swift is only in Dhofar and Duha mentions swifts from much further northeast. My guess is they may have been Pallid but it's hard to know without more information.

African Collared Dove is certainly found in Dhofar, but maybe not so much in the immediate vicinity of Salalah. It's quite a lot rarer than Collared Dove.

I meant the swifts Duha saw around Salalah. The ones at Jabal Al Akhdar woulds have been Pallid for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back