• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Victory SF 8x42 Prices by Color? (1 Viewer)

You think the black rubber is worth $1000-$1200 ?

Thanks ... good to know. The discounts on the gray models are very attractive, but I have to say I prefer the look of the new black models much better. Supposedly, the black rubber is better quality - better grip and thicker rubber. I would save and buy the black if I was going to buy an SF since it would be a binocular I would keep for life and surely my only 10x. I tried two gray model SF's so far (8x and 10x) and like the ergonomics and wide view quite a bit.

You think the black rubber is worth $1000-$1200 ?

Nope. But if I'm going to buy a top bino for life I want what I'll be most satisfied with when given a choice. I like to spend my hard earned money the way I see fit and everybody else can do the same.

I've grown tired of replacing bins each year like I was doing there for quite a while. I want a good 7x (got it now) and 10x (still looking) as two main bins and be done with it. So I do want to get the optimal choice for me since I'll be using the bin for many years.

I read one report that the "green-ish" color cast of SF is gone in the black version.
Anyone know if this is true? Zeiss says optics haven't changed, but could it be they won't mention
a tweak like this since it would be admitting to the color bias in the gray units?
I haven't looked through SF long enough to know if there is indeed a color bias or not. I realize some
see it and others don't.

It's also not in the last Gray models, I ordered the updated eyecups and had them in three days, you won't buy the Gray or the black.

I read one report that the "green-ish" color cast of SF is gone in the black version.
Anyone know if this is true? Zeiss says optics haven't changed, but could it be they won't mention
a tweak like this since it would be admitting to the color bias in the gray units?
I haven't looked through SF long enough to know if there is indeed a color bias or not. I realize some
see it and others don't.

It's also not in the last Gray models, I ordered the updated eyecups and had them in three days, you won't buy the Gray or the black.

I'm not sure why the overly-sensitive reaction, but I can only guess now that you feel I have insulted one of your favorite binoculars (gray SF). This is usually the cause for hostile or sensitive reactions here.

If you go back through my comments you will see that I did have concerns about build quality of gray SF's based on comments and reviews (and I posted an example review). However, I thanked Jerry for letting me know that later model gray SF's have been tweaked and improved. I didn't know that since I don't go on the Zeiss forums too often.

Then, I only expressed that I like the look of the black SF's much better than the gray (subjective and personal opinion) and , if I were to buy an SF, I would go for the black due to the better armor and aesthetic appearance (my opinion again).

Sounds as if "green-ish" color cast (if it ever existed) may have been corrected in later gray models.

Predicting I will not buy an SF is a bit weird and I'm not sure why you would say such a thing. Maybe I wont buy it, but you really should just focus on your own purchases and your own money. Your prediction just comes off as arrogant (and irrelevant) and argumentative for no reason.

I can't afford even the gray one right now, nevertheless I have added SF 10x42 on my shortlist since I was so impressed with it when I briefly tried it last weekend. It may be quite a while before I buy a 10x binocular and maybe I never will, but that is my choice and I do have the right to continue to ask questions on the forum and make comments in an effort to figure out what I need and desire in a new 10x binocular.

Enjoy what you have and, if it's a gray or black SF, then you have one of the very best binoculars made.

Hi SD

I'm having trouble understanding your post as you have mixed a comment about transmission colour in grey SFs (thanks Bruce for the translation from gray :)) news that you have obtained the new eyecups from Zeiss (me too) and a prediction about what GiGi will not buy.

Surely you did not mean that last remark in an unkind way?

Lee

My comments were not in good taste and I apologize, I just really feel your once in a lifetime binocular is available now at a price you may never see again, a price that would allow you to easily recoup your money if you ever need to do so, but if you don't currently have the money I understand that. In the last two years I've actually hands-on used or owned the entire 10X SV series, the 8.5X42 SV - (owned a 2010 and 2015, unlike the two SFs I couldn't see a difference in them), early 10X42 SF, 10X42 HT, and 10X42 FL, of the lot my current 10X42 SF (Gray model that arrived at Zeiss USA in October) is easily (to me) the finest overall image I've seen. Good luck in your quest.:t:

Robert

I'm not sure why the overly-sensitive reaction, but I can only guess now that you feel I have insulted one of your favorite binoculars (gray SF). This is usually the cause for hostile or sensitive reactions here.

If you go back through my comments you will see that I did have concerns about build quality of gray SF's based on comments and reviews (and I posted an example review). However, I thanked Jerry for letting me know that later model gray SF's have been tweaked and improved. I didn't know that since I don't go on the Zeiss forums too often.

Then, I only expressed that I like the look of the black SF's much better than the gray (subjective and personal opinion) and , if I were to buy an SF, I would go for the black due to the better armor and aesthetic appearance (my opinion again).

Sounds as if "green-ish" color cast (if it ever existed) may have been corrected in later gray models.

Predicting I will not buy an SF is a bit weird and I'm not sure why you would say such a thing. Maybe I wont buy it, but you really should just focus on your own purchases and your own money. Your prediction just comes off as arrogant (and irrelevant) and argumentative for no reason.

I can't afford even the gray one right now, nevertheless I have added SF 10x42 on my shortlist since I was so impressed with it when I briefly tried it last weekend. It may be quite a while before I buy a 10x binocular and maybe I never will, but that is my choice and I do have the right to continue to ask questions on the forum and make comments in an effort to figure out what I need and desire in a new 10x binocular.

Enjoy what you have and, if it's a gray or black SF, then you have one of the very best binoculars made.

I was a touch rambling and disjointed on that one, hopefully I took care of the unkind part. |=)|

Hi SD

I'm having trouble understanding your post as you have mixed a comment about transmission colour in grey SFs (thanks Bruce for the translation from gray :)) news that you have obtained the new eyecups from Zeiss (me too) and a prediction about what GiGi will not buy.

Surely you did not mean that last remark in an unkind way?

Lee

My comments were not in good taste and I apologize, I just really feel your once in a lifetime binocular is available now at a price you may never see again, a price that would allow you to easily recoup your money if you ever need to do so, but if you don't currently have the money I understand that. In the last two years I've actually hands-on used or owned the entire 10X SV series, the 8.5X42 SV - (owned a 2010 and 2015, unlike the two SFs I couldn't see a difference in them), early 10X42 SF, 10X42 HT, and 10X42 FL, of the lot my current 10X42 SF (Gray model that arrived at Zeiss USA in October) is easily (to me) the finest overall image I've seen. Good luck in your quest.:t:

Robert

No biggie...understood. Hopefully, someday the price will be reduced a little for the black one if I ever decide to buy an SF.

If I ever settle on the SF , I'll bet the grays won't even be available anymore. I'm sure they are selling fast. But, that's ok since I really prefer the black edition.

Yes, the model numbers for the black armored versions are different

Gray (Grey for Lee) 08X42 MFR# 524221-0000-000
Gray (Grey for Lee) 10X42 MFR# 524222-0000-000

Black 08X42 MFR# 524223 0000 000
Black 10X42 MFR# 524224 0000 000

These numbers are from the B & H Photo web site.

Thanks for the grey/gray translation Bruce and these model numbers check out OK

Lee

I can't afford even the gray one right now, nevertheless I have added SF 10x42 on my shortlist since I was so impressed with it when I briefly tried it last weekend. It may be quite a while before I buy a 10x binocular and maybe I never will, ...

GG, I have an UVHD 10x42 that I chose after trying the SV and SF 10x42's due to the compactness and brilliant image it provides. Even after getting the stunning SV 8x32 I am still wowed by the UV every time I use it. I have compared the both for some months and I know now that a 10x doesn't show any more detail than an equally good 8x bin when hand holding. After using a fellow birder's scope for the last two months I now am certain that a good 8x bin along with a scope will be the best option for me. He uses a SLC 8x42 and a 85 mm Vortex Razor scope and has no other bins. If I get a deal on a nice used Swaro or Meopta scope I'll part with the UV happily.

GG, I have an UVHD 10x42 that I chose after trying the SV and SF 10x42's due to the compactness and brilliant image it provides. Even after getting the stunning SV 8x32 I am still wowed by the UV every time I use it. I have compared the both for some months and I know now that a 10x doesn't show any more detail than an equally good 8x bin when hand holding. After using a fellow birder's scope for the last two months I now am certain that a good 8x bin along with a scope will be the best option for me. He uses a SLC 8x42 and a 85 mm Vortex Razor scope and has no other bins. If I get a deal on a nice used Swaro or Meopta scope I'll part with the UV happily.

I tried an Ultravid+ 10x42 quickly last weekend and thought it was very nice, but I only got a couple of minutes with it. I already have 7x42 UVid+ and think a good 10x will be nice to round things out. I don't like the idea of lugging around a scope and tripod, so I have thrown that idea out. I went back and forth with that idea for a while there. I like to keep it simple and just bring one bino out with me.

Thanks for the grey/gray translation Bruce ............Lee

Just trying to be helpful! :t:

I normally say grey in reference to the SF in order to honor (honour for Lee :king:) the SF's heritage. In this case I went with gray since it was a reply to Jaywalk who is US based. (Umm, sometimes I over think these replies.)

No kidding, that's good service. I wonder if you could pay them for a change to black for less than the $1000-$1200 difference in the price between the gray and black models. That's some damned expensive rubber. :-O

the gray had developped yellowish taint to it... changed free of charge

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back