• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 10x42 fl eye relief (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

Evening all, a quick question regarding the above - can anybody comment on the eye relief of these binoculars in the 10x42 format, and be able to offer commentary on its effectiveness with glasses please? I am considering a pair to compliment my 7x42's. Cheers

I have a pair but my only spectacle use is sunglasses - they work fine and provide a complete FOV with no blackouts or obstructions. I believe that many of Zeiss's listed ER specs are under-stated, for whatever reason.

Evening all, a quick question regarding the above - can anybody comment on the eye relief of these binoculars in the 10x42 format, and be able to offer commentary on its effectiveness with glasses please? I am considering a pair to compliment my 7x42's. Cheers
I use 8.5X42 and 10X50 SV's, both of which have adequate eye relief with my eyeglasses and the eyecups fully down. Both the Zeiss 8X42 and 10X42 SF's have MORE eye relief...to the point where I'd need to use the first click on the eyecup. It's an immediate and obvious benefit to anyone who wears eyeglasses.

PS
When I was handed the bin the eyecups were set at the first click (the guy knew the bin). As I lowered them I was told many eyeglass wearers used the 1st click. I soon learned he was more than correct and I moved them back to click one. Bravo to Zeiss for the superior eye relief in the SF's! And, the view is truly immersive.

Allbino's reviews of the 10x42 Victory FL, the 8x42 FL and the 8x32 FL gives 16mm ER for all three. The 8x56 Victory FL which they also reviewed has 16mm ER.

I believe that my 7x42 Victory FL also has at least 16mm ER but the manual that came with it does not give the ER for any of the Victory FL binoculars listed in it. I don't wear glasses and I use the binocular with the eye cups fully extended. I have never experienced any blackouts with it and I brace the eye cups firmly under my eyebrows on my brow ridge when I use it.

I think my 7x42 has the most comfortable and the most efficient ER of all my binoculars.

Bob

Last edited:
I own a pair of the most current gray 10X42 SF and use them only with eyeglasses, I haven't had any problems at all.

Sorry, I just realized your question was about the FL. Eye relief with glasses on the FL was fine, the reason I didn't keep them was I couldn't seem to find an IP adjustment that worked for me.

Last edited:
Thanks

wow, that was very fast, thanks guys. I will have to discuss it with the better half first, but I think I may take a chance on them - I'd have to buy unseen.

Odd how the eye relief is the same across all the models!

The Image of the 10X42 FL is superb compared to anything else.

wow, that was very fast, thanks guys. I will have to discuss it with the better half first, but I think I may take a chance on them - I'd have to buy unseen.

Odd how the eye relief is the same across all the models!

Eye relief is better than Zeiss specs! PERFECT compliment to the 7X42....I have that exact combo!:t:

Eye relief is better than Zeiss specs! PERFECT compliment to the 7X42....I have that exact combo!:t:

That's great to hear Chuck, I was hoping you'd chip in as I know you have an extensive collection of bins and use them!

I will post some findings if they are of interest once I've received them, though I expect all that could possibly have been written about them already has been!

I found "first click" with spectacles to be necessary too... it took me by surprise... as an added benefit, it gives the eyepiece lenses a small degree of protection.

I found "first click" with spectacles to be necessary too... it took me by surprise... as an added benefit, it gives the eyepiece lenses a small degree of protection.
My comments related to the new SF. I completely missed the "FL" in the OP's question.

They arrived today, very happy with the condition, less happy that it is pitch black outside so I can't really make any significant use of them yet! Love the feel, low weight and when trying them in the house, glad to say I can see the full fov.
Can't wait to put them through their paces and see how they compare with my beloved swaro's!

Thanks for the opinions which helped me take the plunge!

I was out for a few hours with the fl today and it really is a great binocular. Unsure if it will replace the slc as my main binoculars, but I must say it really came into its own at a local gull roost this evening - being able to pick out the white head of an adult yellow legged gull at several hundred meters was pretty satisfying.
One thing I have noticed is that the dof is rather shallow, and I have to make adjustments to the focus a lot - having used a 7x more or less exclusively for 4+ years this may take some getting used to, but I am enjoying the "feather fine" detail it offers. The extra power is useful - I may just use this in scenarios where previously I'd take my travel scope. The absolute revelation for me however, the weight! Anybody who uses the older SLC's will tell you they are weighty - indeed those birders can usually be told by their disproportionatly large neck and shoulder muscles ;)

Cheers

Exceptional customer service from Zeiss

I didn't wish to start a new thread - adding onto this if that is acceptable.

I contacted Zeiss as somebody snatched the case belonging to my FL's from the car a few weeks ago, (luckily the binoculars were safely around my neck) and I was inquiring about buying a replacement.

I sent an email on Thursday of last week, but hadn't had a reply so I emailed again on Monday. I got home today to find that Zeiss had very kindly (and completely unprompted) sent me a replacement cordura and leather case free of charge.

Great to see that a company values customer service as highly as their products. The bins are a joy to use, and should I need to replace any kit in the future I'd likely give Zeiss my business. Swarovski are also excellent, and I should say that Leica have offered to service my partners old trinovid's free of charge. Great to see the companies providing this level of service.

Love my two FLs. I'm still not sure where the FL drops off and the HT steps in. So far I believe I enjoy the FL better than the HT.....

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back