• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Annoying bird. (1 Viewer)

Hello McCaw

I've had a listen to your recording and you have two birds -not counting the lorikeets in the background. The first is a Torresian Crow and the second, more musical call is that of the Pied Butcherbird -in my opinion.

Pied Butcherbirds can "go on" for quite some and they'll sometimes get together in a tight group and sing, their bills all pointed to the skies. But I can't say I have ever heard anyone describe the pied butcherbird call as annoying, assuming that is the one you are speaking of -maybe I just haven't been in your shoes. Among birders here it is actually considered melodic.

The Torresian Crow call, on the other hand, can be rather monotonous and I can find its call annoying. In fact, sometimes it can "drive you up the wall".

Mike

Hello McCaw

I've had a listen to your recording and you have two birds -not counting the lorikeets in the background. The first is a Torresian Crow and the second, more musical call is that of the Pied Butcherbird -in my opinion.

Yes, the two crows live in a very large tree near me. I've dubbed them Heckle and Jeckle, of course. And we get lorikeets at any time of the day.

The musical motif is the one. In itself it's a very clear, strong note and pitch-perfect. But therein lies my problem. I can't hear it without having that Xmas carol start up in my mind! And the carol is repetitious in the extreme. So, despite it being a pretty and musical sound in its own right, it actually drives me nuts at 6 am.

The Torresian Crow call, on the other hand, can be rather monotonous and I can find its call annoying. In fact, sometimes it can "drive you up the wall".

Mike

Sure can. When a bunch of them get together in the forest behind me and start their singalong, my affection for the bird world takes a big hit!

So, given that it seems to be a Butcher Bird, what can I do to drive it away, (short of buckshot up the tail-feathers). |=)|

So, given that it seems to be a Butcher Bird, what can I do to drive it away, (short of buckshot up the tail-feathers). |=)|

Declare your garden a vegetarian zone? 3:)

No idea! Doubt it can be done, to be honest. One possibility might be to play 'normal' Butcherbird songs from a loudspeaker, in the hope it might change away from imitating that carol.

Declare your garden a vegetarian zone? 3:)

No idea! Doubt it can be done, to be honest. One possibility might be to play 'normal' Butcherbird songs from a loudspeaker, in the hope it might change away from imitating that carol.

That's a good idea. On the other hand, it might arouse the Carol-singer's territorial instinct and he might dive-bomb the speaker. |=)|

Anyway, lately he seems to have gone west, so maybe he's gone looking for the rest of the choir. Hope so.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back