• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (8 Viewers)

On the trail of Pretty Polly- or, billing and cooing ?

Finally able to emerge, after a morning of rain, I decided to check Gramboro’. A slightly depleted flock of Snow Buntings was still frequenting the beach car park at Salthouse. Obviously, people are still spreading seed.

I walked out along a very wet path. Just before I reached the Hill, the pager informed me that a possible Parrot had been seen in Sheringham Park. I decided to do my check first and was pleased to see that the Reed Bunting flock had doubled in size- to 6. The male Stonechat persisted.

Driving all the way back to Upper Sheringham, I trudged along the main drive, where the bird had been reported. I was surprised to find no birders (and no Crossbills), although there was much loud ‘hooting’ from Stock Doves. A ‘phone call helped me in the right direction- all the way up to the top car park. There were Crossbills flying around and perching inconveniently together with several birders (who weren't flying around!), but I didn’t see any with the head-shape of male cattle ! Neither did I hear any ‘odd’ calls.

Nonetheless, I learned that one of our more dependable local birders, very familiar with the Park, had seen the beast and seemed confident of his ID.

Thank you - map printed - very helpful!

There was I expecting a local - thanks anyway!B :)

Hi, we parked there yday and wandered throught he woods and out the other side. Didn't really see much as too low so we backtracked and parked just before the big bridge along the main road by Fritton and walked up to the 'summit' and watched with a group of others from there. The higher viewpoint gave a much better view across the marshes and we saw all the bits (can be a bit noisy though!! ;))

Hi, i am coming down your way in April, about the 1st to the 20th. I was just wondering what time do the Montagu's harriers return? In my Guide it says late march and april. Will there be any to see anywhere. Also when do the Hen Harriers leave?
Oh, where is the best place to see cranes in the broads??
Thanks,
Birding maniac

Hi, i am coming down your way in April, about the 1st to the 20th. I was just wondering what time do the Montagu's harriers return? In my Guide it says late march and april. Will there be any to see anywhere. Also when do the Hen Harriers leave?
Oh, where is the best place to see cranes in the broads??
Thanks,
Birding maniac

A Montagu's Harrier in late March/early April would be unusual. The first reports can just about be within your stay but to be honest I wouldn't expect it. My personal earliest is 25th April and when they first arrive they're not always predictable. We tend to think of Hen Harrier as a winter visitor in Norfolk but many records are of spring (or autumn) migrants, and these spring migrant Hen Harriers are often seen in April. Normally they've gone by late April but last year one or two hung around into June at least. Anyway, any Hen or Montagu's Harrier during the period you're here is most likely to be Hen - but not necessarily.

Cranes are best looked for by stopping regularly along the road between West Somerton and Waxham and scanning the fields. I also often see them in flight from the footpath round Martham Broad or from Hickling (either the east side of the NWT reserve or from Rushill Scrape). Not sure how reliable they are from Stubbs Mill in the spring, but might be worth trying. Alternatively try the Lakenheath birds.

I know Josh has had some stick about a Red footed falcon he saw last year. Again having birded with Josh he is more than capable indentifying a Red foot!

Josh is honest and will only describe what he saw. I think he has to be given credit for that. There are some who would pick up there collins and copy it word for word!!

Good luck with the year list!:cat:

BK i can't work out whether you're more intolerable in the flesh or on the net ;) - carn't remember too much stick, only from Trinny Macdougall which didn't really register, think the stick was more from the fact that in celebration, i committed sacrilege in the birding fraternity by then turned up inebriated at a Red-rumped Swallow :eek!: :). (the Red-foot is apparently through with flying colours, don't think the Collins describes them as having 'tube-like' wings).

aahhh relax... back to reality, another cracking winters days birding, with Glonky Gull and Goldeneye at Holkham Park Lake, 5 Water Pipit, 2 Hen Harrier, 2 Pale-bellied Brents and 6 more Goldeneye at Burnham Norton and Slavonian and Red-necked Grebe at Holkham, Woodcock and murk at Warham.

Last edited:
Sunday 7th Feb

Hello, if any one is interested there was a Purple Sandpiper this afternoon on the rocks with some Turnstones, directly below the 'empty' Shannocks Hotel in Sheringham.

Hello Sue G, yes hope we do meet.

Sally.:hi:

BK i can't work out whether you're more intolerable in the flesh or on the net ;) - carn't remember too much stick, only from Trinny Macdougall which didn't really register, think the stick was more from the fact that in celebration, i committed sacrilege in the birding fraternity by then turned up inebriated at a Red-rumped Swallow :eek!: :). (the Red-foot is apparently through with flying colours, don't think the Collins describes them as having 'tube-like' wings).

aahhh relax... back to reality, another cracking winters days birding, with Glonky Gull and Goldeneye at Holkham Park Lake, 5 Water Pipit, 2 Hen Harrier, 2 Pale-bellied Brents and 6 more Goldeneye at Burnham Norton and Slavonian and Red-necked Grebe at Holkham, Woodcock and murk at Warham.

Josh. I was sticking up for you!! There were certain individuals - not named to avoid legal action, who were questioning that record!! On what basis, I really do not understand. Given the amount of time you spend in the field, you deserve a break!! Given that some of "unnamed" rarely leave their houses, unless there is something somebody else has found!! Anyway as Stu as said, rarity descriptions should not be discussed on the forum!!

Shall we discuss politics instead!! Should the westminster four be able to claim immunity from the courts!!

Having said that, pleased that you find me intolerable. That is the copper kettle calling the frying pan black!! Must discuss over a beer sometime!! :cat::cat:

Not sure, but you might have been the extremely helpful lady who let me look through her scope when I only had a brief time on site (even if you weren't I expect you would have done, most birders are extremely helpful!!)

Never been before, was well worth the trip though. First the Great Northern Diver was showing off right close in to the shore. Then a red necked grebe. A little further on and a gathering of birders! Saw the Smew, Goosander, Scaup and with a little help from a nearby very helpful birder man the ring-necked duck. so all in all an excellent day.

I am new to the birdforum, but am enjoying reading all the reports and information. Hope may meet some of you on my birding outings. ;)

Sally.

Hi Penny. Hope you are feeling better!

What was the date of that Cory's that we jammed on at Cley. I don't think the four finders have put in a description. Do you think you saw enough to put in a description yourself.

No doubts that it was a Corys - but the bird was going away and I would not be able to describe the bill or its colour. Can describe flight. Size comparison with Both Gannet and manx. Structure and wing shape. Colour of upperparts, contrast of darker brown tail band, contrasting white underparts also underwing pattern/colour.

I seen a few Corys in the uk and more abroad, some fairly close. Don't like writing descriptions on other peoples birds. Also can write an Ok, but incomplete decription from what I saw.

Do not want to see the record lost. But do not want to massage what I saw to get it through!

Hopefully the finders will read this and submit the record.

Regards.

Mark.:cat::cat:
Hi Mark

Sorry with late reply - awful time lately - computer back but can't access Firefox where all my bookmarks are, can't open photoshop or iTunes - this Mac is so close to going out of the window!!!

The date was Saturday 18th July. See page 271 of this thread and see my post 6752, also Rob Lee's post 6753 who saw it at Sheringham and one of the four who picked it up at Cley comments on post 6761 (you could pm him and see if he has/or is submitting it)

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Not really been out at all this weekend as still trying to sort my Applemac:-C.

Had a look for the reported wheatear at Hunstanton Bowls Club late this afternoon but no luck. Tons of oystercatchers and turnstones on the shoreline below the cliffs.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Anyone who finds themselves with a couple of hours to spare whilst to the north/west of Norwich city centre (as I did yesterday whilst Mrs. Frootshoots car had a new windscreen fitted) could do a lot worse than take a stroll along the riverside walk between the Gibraltar Gardens PH and Sweetbriar Road - the ring road. There's plenty of tree cover along the river, some with lots of established Ivy, and some Alder is mixed in too. Several areas close to the path are very boggy looking and the northern side, once away from the industrial area, consists of damp grazing marsh with patches of scrubby cover.There were 4 Little Grebes close to the road by the pub that would make a good photographic opportunity for a quick photographer and birds seen along the walk included Kingfisher, Water Rail and a very showy Treecreeper. A Stock Dove was in monotonous song and I also heard Green and Great Spotted Woodpecker plus a flyover Redpoll. Over the bridge behind the waterworks a Nuthatch was calling in the ribbon of woodland that runs through to the Dereham Road. A brief sojourn to the waterworks gate was pitifully rewarded with a few Gulls and 9 Tufted. It sure beat sitting in a dull waiting room...

James

Last edited:
Weekend Visit

Hi I'm looking for some help. My wife and I will staying near Titchwell this weekend and were wondering if there are any closer raptor roosts, than Stubb Mill.

Thanks Steve C

Weekend Visit

Hi I'm looking for some help. My wife and I will staying near Titchwell this weekend and were wondering if there are any closer raptor roosts, than Stubb Mill.

Thanks Steve C

Hi Steve

There is a Hen Harrier roost at Roydon Common NWT and you also have a chance of seeing Merlin and Short-eared Owl. At Titchwell RSPB you can find Marsh Harriers going to roost in the evening plus to odd Hen.

Regards,

Weekend Visit

Thanks Steve C

Hi Steve

I had 14 marsh (1 male) and 2 ringtail hen harriers in the Titchwell roost this evening. The was also a male hen around on Friday evening. Probably the best place to view to roost is from Gypsy Lane, accessed from a small layby on the north side of the road just east of Titchwell village. All of the birds had gone into the roost by 5:15 but it may be later if the weather is better.

Good luck

Paul

Anyone who finds themselves with a couple of hours to spare whilst to the north/west of Norwich city centre (as I did yesterday whilst Mrs. Frootshoots car had a new windscreen fitted) could do a lot worse than take a stroll along the riverside walk between the Gibraltar Gardens PH and Sweetbriar Road - the ring road. There's plenty of tree cover along the river, some with lots of established Ivy, and some Alder is mixed in too. Several areas close to the path are very boggy looking and the northern side, once away from the industrial area, consists of damp grazing marsh with patches of scrubby cover.There were 4 Little Grebes close to the road by the pub that would make a good photographic opportunity for a quick photographer and birds seen along the walk included Kingfisher, Water Rail and a very showy Treecreeper. A Stock Dove was in monotonous song and I also heard Green and Great Spotted Woodpecker plus a flyover Redpoll. Over the bridge behind the waterworks a Nuthatch was calling in the ribbon of woodland that runs through to the Dereham Road. A brief sojourn to the waterworks gate was pitifully rewarded with a few Gulls and 9 Tufted. It sure beat sitting in a dull waiting room...

James

its a great area, it used to be my patch. The boggy area to the right of the path is very good for Woodcock + the really boggy areas were good for Snipe and supposedly Jack Snipe. Just finding birds such as Shoveler and Stonechat were real highlights. The Alders next to the path bring in finch flocks mostly Siskin and Goldfinch but also Redpoll, good to here Treecreepers still about they used to be very prevalent. As you say good for Woodpeckers and used to be a very reliable site for Lesser Spot. One of the features of the place is that it used to hold very late winter Thrushes, Redwings and Fieldfare still about in late April. Again Dolphin Bridge which is next to Gib Gardens is excellent for Daubentons Bats, absolutely amazing views can be got as they fly directly at you illuminated by the streetlights, i also once saw a Noctule flying about with Swifts at the end of my road, excellent for Dragon and Damselflies in the summer, could go on, real urban oasis. :t:

Just watched four buzzards over Fulmodestone after initially hearing one calling in sunshine whilst out on my bike. Also glad to hear and finally see a tree sparrow nearby though where the main flock has disappeared to who knows. Also singing skylark and yellowhammer so hopefully spring is close by, but just seen report of two waxwings at Holme - perhaps winter is not quite over.

Sweet Briar Marsh and waterworks by Waterworks Road

James

Its had Ring Ouzel, Long-eared Owl, Yellow-browed Warbler, Shag, Pied Flycatcher, Firecrest, Glaucous Gull, Grasshopper Warbler and Nightingale over the years and one winter I even found an Arctic Redpoll with the Redpoll flock. The waterworks can be good, especially when everything else freezes, its had Scaup, Ring-billed Gull and I even found a Black-throated Diver on it before it decided the river in Norwich was more productive.

Best regards

Robin Chittenden

Titchwell February 9th

Today's highlights

Waxwing - 1 very briefly in trees by visitor centre mid-morning before flying west
Velvet scoter - 10 offshore
Barn owl - 2 hunting west of main path
Bittern - 2 in flight over reedbed
Marsh harrier - 11 females to roost
Hen harrier - 2 ringtails to roost.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back