• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (40 Viewers)

Some pics from around the patch today with one of the Felbrigg Crossbills, another Wheatear in the car park at West Runton and the Med Gull which has now got a fully black hood.

Simon

Attachments

• Crossbill1.jpg
    Crossbill1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Wheatear3.jpg
    Wheatear3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 91
  • MedGull10.jpg
    MedGull10.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 86
Trogs...

It seems there has been a very significant passage of Tree Sparrows over Hunstanton for the last two days; 233 were counted! Click here for details...

Aside from the two mentioned by Paul at Titchwell on March 17th, has anyone else noted any passing through?

James

Local news - 3 Wheatear in first weedy field 1 km West of Blakeney + new pair of Bullfinches, 2 Wheatear in ploughed field between Blakeney and Morston, Black Redstart in Morston Quay on boats + Spotted Reshank still, Wheatear along track by mussel beds, 3 Goldeneye in Blakeney Harbour + Med Gull on colony on the Point, regular Barn Owl just West of Blakeney + the wintering flock of Yellowhammer.

It seems there has been a very significant passage of Tree Sparrows over Hunstanton for the last two days; 233 were counted! Click here for details...

Aside from the two mentioned by Paul at Titchwell on March 17th, has anyone else noted any passing through?

James

interesting Tit numbers as well, saw a flock of around 7 Great Tits passing through that suggested migrants.

Searching for spring today I came across the remains of winter in the shape of a distant diver and a small flock of Redwing and Fieldfare! Did have an alba wagtail. All at Happisburgh.
Cheers,
Jim.

I finally got in on the migrant action today with two (non-singing) Chiffchaffs at Whitlingham this morning. One was in trees along the south shore, and one in the wooded area adjacent to the car park.

Other than that had a Mealy Redpoll with 2 Lesser Redpoll in alders along the Little Broad, one Small Tortoiseshell and my gf had 5 Waxwings in her garden in Lakenham.

Mass viz mig

With tasks to complete that kept me housebound until far too late, I eventually emerged and drove to Salthouse. The Snow Buntings in the vicinity of the beach car park numbered 22.

To the west of the Little Eye was, apparently, the 1W male Wheatear from yesterday- well it's spring tomorrow !

A walk out to Gramboro' was undertaken under the passage of 3+1 (probably) Pied Wagtails and a group (not quite a flock) of some 35 Meadow Pipits that just westered. A very dark Common Buzzard went thru on the same compass bearing.

A 'new' (not yet sum plumed) male Reed Bunting was trying out its song, poorly, like a 5 year old attempting Puccini and there was no sign of any Stonechats.

As I parked at Friary, an improbable duck flew back into the Pond. One of the exotic teals ? Quite pretty, though.

I just missed a couple of House Martins going west, but managed to 'shoot' the attached monstrosity of a goose. Literally would have been good. Canada x Greylag, anyone ?

Attachments

• 011pse.jpg
    011pse.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 84
There's been a Goose at Denver Sluice this winter which looks exactly like the one you have taken a picture of John. It associates with Canada and Greylag so I'm pretty sure it's a hybrid of those two as well.

2 Chiffchaffs singing in the village this afternoon; my first migrants of spring. They certainly brightened up a dull day!

Grenada Goose ?

Name for this wonderful hybrid ?

It, too, was associating with feral Greylags, one almost a pale biscuit colour !

Canadas were not all that far away on the freshmarsh.

There is often a passage of tits at this time of year east then south around the coast and some cutting south across the county too. I few years ago i was involved with a ringing project where we retrapped 6 great\coal\blue tits all ringed mid winter on the coast and retrapped 10-15 miles to the south and additional birds ringed at the site moved south east at the same time. Back in the 1990s one year during Feb and March I had a string of great tit recoveries all to the east of the site at Wells along the coast to Gt Yarmouth and some even made it to Langard point.l Not saying they were from mainland Europe , but Langard makes a good jump off point for Holland.

Rain and sun all afternoon, but it was lovely to be out again - have not been birding very much over the last few weeks. Soooooo glad I am not year listing this year with the price of petrol as it is!!!

Hunstanton Cliff Top - 19 Turnstones feeding with starlings and black headed gulls.

Field east of the A149 between Old Hunstanton and Holme 17 Curlews, 31 Lapwings and at least 127 Golden Plovers.

Parked the car at Holme by the public toilet block and walked west along the outskirts of the golf course towards the beach huts at Old Hunstanton and had my first Wheatear of the year at 1.50pm along with 1 male and 2 Female Stonechats. The area I was walking has been a public footpath for as long as I can remember, but now apparently it says 'Private land' and the path has been diverted along the dune ridge - well I WILL continue walking along my usual path unless someone physically stops me!!!!!:C There is a rumour that the golf course is going to be extended over this area which would be terrible as this valley between the current fence line of the golf course and the dunes is very rich in plant life and birds etc etc.

Holme Marsh Reserve - Pair of Bullfinch flew across the path to the first hide (still with holes in roof - been like this for over 3 months now). From the first hide tufted duck and mallards. Walked to hide 2 and had my first Sand Martin at 3.40pm and another 3 Sand Martins later on at 4pm with another couple who had joined me in the hide - also several coot here. Tried to imagine a Penduline Tit on the bull rushes - lovely thought;).

Titchwell RSPB - As soon as I got out of the car in the first carpark I saw a Chiffchaff (4.30pm) flitting about in the trees by the information hut! A few people were looking for the Firecrest. I walked along the path to the shop and had lovely views of a Woodcock standing on a bright green mossy log through the trees on the right. Found out from someone else that the Chiffchaff had been seen yesterday aswell. A Wheatear had also been seen on the grazing marsh at Titchwell. On the way back to the carpark I had brilliant views of the Firecrest flitting about until it poured with rain - dived into the car and waited for rain to stop and I continued watching the Firecrest until 5.15pm and obtained a very bad record picture!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
2 Chiffchaffs singing at Denver Sluice this morning and my first Sand Martin of the year also. Very rewarding for the early start! Beautiful day as well.

Buzzards, and more Buzzard, punctuated by a butterfly

An adult and 3Y Med Gull provided entertainment at WRunton beach car park, drawing attention to themselves with frequent tri-syllabic calls. A difference was provided when one dived below the cliff edge, squawking a single note I’d not previously heard. 2 adult male Wheatears were most pleasant.

1 Snow Bunting remained this morning at Salthouse, surrounded by avid avian photo-journalists. It seemed oblivious to them, pecking away at the seed.

Lunch at the Cley VC was interrupted when a couple outside started peering high into the heavens. Quickly exiting, I was able to spy 3 Common Buzzards thermalling.

At Friary, I was luckily unable to relocate my honking horror from yesterday. However, my first definitely ID’d butterfly of the year is attached beneath, a , .

A walk along the ‘front’ at Warham Greens produced nought but a single Common Buzzard, way out over East Hills.

Returning to Cley, I was able to snap the rather nicely composed shot of a Pied (I know I’m being immodest), in the cattle pens along the Beach Road. It would have been even better, if I'd been able to include all of the brick, too.

Attachments

• 001pse.jpg
    001pse.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 004pse1.jpg
    004pse1.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
There is often a passage of tits at this time of year east then south around the coast and some cutting south across the county too. I few years ago i was involved with a ringing project where we retrapped 6 great\coal\blue tits all ringed mid winter on the coast and retrapped 10-15 miles to the south and additional birds ringed at the site moved south east at the same time. Back in the 1990s one year during Feb and March I had a string of great tit recoveries all to the east of the site at Wells along the coast to Gt Yarmouth and some even made it to Langard point.l Not saying they were from mainland Europe , but Langard makes a good jump off point for Holland.

I'm guessing though that the fact all the Tits and Sparrows were moving South meant that they had come from the East i.e moving West, the small party i had 'hedge hopping' - (good term) were moving West as were Paul's birds, i too am suspecting (some/all?) of these are continental birds and have come in with the Firecrests / Black Reds- esp if you consider wind direction (SE).

I saw 4 Wheatears this afternoon whilst walking along Heacham North Beach and a group of 5 Whooper Swans (2 adults & 3 juveniles) which took off from Ken hill marsh and headed in a north-east direction.

I'm guessing though that the fact all the Tits and Sparrows were moving South meant that they had come from the East i.e moving West, the small party i had 'hedge hopping' - (good term) were moving West as were Paul's birds, i too am suspecting (some/all?) of these are continental birds and have come in with the Firecrests / Black Reds- esp if you consider wind direction (SE).

I had another 7 great tits moving west at Titchwell this morning. Also small numbers of finches all very high up with the clear skies and 7 jackdaw.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back