• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (14 Viewers)

Sorry I missed you. I was there from around 1.45pm (ish) sitting by the pond at no.10 (near Steve Gatlett) and then moved to sit on the front edge of the patio at number 6 after Dave told us that it had been showing there.

I was the chap standing on the patio at No 10 with a camera, I think you were chatting to Andrew who (like me) had popped out from working at Cley Spy to see the bird.

evening jog and seawatch

3 Barwits south
2 Redshank south
lovely ad summer Little Gull on the beach
Gannets south
13 Pied Wags over sea, probably just off to roost

and a regularly showing Little Owl just south of the Stalham / Happisburgh / Sea Palling juncton. Usually on telegraph poles by the farm.

Mat

Did you get down to Salthouse Yesterday? The Nightjars were dispaying from 21:34 onwards. Really atmospheric with that massive storm rolling in from the east; massive grey cloud flashing silently red. Scary stuff :eek: This, plus Nightjars clapping and churring around your head made for a pretty special experience. Barn owl also seen.

Salthouse beach beforehand produced a fairly young Weatear. Took some pics, in case its not a Northern, although I'm sure it is. Just not used to seeing juv birds. Also rediculous numbers of Pied Wagtails, Linnets and Mipets, and lots of Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns on Gamborough Hill (will spellcheck later!) Also what I think may be a 6 Spot Burnet. Blurry pics later.

Jason

Now I appreciate that you have been asked this a million times but I am coming to Norfolk for 2 weeks in August on my holidays

Can you suggest somewhere to go and see Cranes ?

Also I am missing Yellow Wag and Turtle Dove from the old yearlist. Any suggestions.

Cheers
Darren

Hey Darren.

Holme Dunes are good for Turtle Dove, I believe. Also the road from Titchwell to Burnham Market, via Choseley drying barns.

Dont know if there is a good site for Yellow Wag in Norfolk. The only one I've seen was a flyover.

Head over to Stubbs Mill and the surrounding villages and fields for Cranes. Others will be able to be more specific with these. Or visit Pensthorpe. They're really easy there :D

Jason

Last edited:
Yellow Wags

Have seen YW's at Titchwell and Cley in late summer, though our views have always been some distance away.
Also once had a turtle dove at Cley
Record shot attached.
Good luck!
Mick
B :)

Now I appreciate that you have been asked this a million times but I am coming to Norfolk for 2 weeks in August on my holidays

Can you suggest somewhere to go and see Cranes ?

Also I am missing Yellow Wag and Turtle Dove from the old yearlist. Any suggestions.

Cheers
Darren

Attachments

• Wagtail Yellow Titchwell   050804.jpg
    Wagtail Yellow Titchwell 050804.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 79
Cranes are tricky in summer but by August you should stand a good chance.

Only seeing them intemittently at moment - just once last week for example...

try the mill and general area

Several gannets north this morning,
8 or so Common Terns on beach,
lots of Sandwich.
No sign of the Little Gull from last night.

looking forward to a seawatch this evening...

Cley today.

2 Yellow Legged Gulls (lifers)
1 Green Sandpiper
2 Greenshanks
Ruffs
Black Tailed Godwits

And another stonking storm. Lucky I was in a hide, nice and cosy.

Congrats on the Kittiwake Mat.

Jason

I know it's the wrong county but does anyone know whether there still any Kittiwakes at Lowestoft these days? There used to be loads of them nesting on the pier building by the marina before they pulled it down and then they moved to the specially built wall at the harbour entrance. It was good seeing them nesting on the south side of the harbour pier wall but unfortunately the nests were an easy target for vandals. I don't suppose there are any left in Lowestoft now.

Ron

Seemed to have accidentally deleted my earlier post..

Sightings for yesterday at Cley and Blakeney, started off walking over to Blakeney Point and saw a few Little Terns and Sandwich Terns, no Commons though ~ also watched a couple of Razorbills together on the sea along with a single Common Scoter (originaly thought this was a female Eider!) Eventually made it to the point and while chatting to a guy by the dunes (possibly one of the wardens?) he picked out a Kittiwake, very chuffed about this as it was a lifer for me, Also picked out a stunning looking summer plumaged Knot. Last sighting before the trek back to Cley were the seals ~ and plenty of them there were too!, both species all doing what comes naturally, despite not being able to get close enough for a pic they could easily be heard about a half mile away!!

Seemed to take an eternity walking back to Cley so spent the rest of the
afternoon in Dawkes hide, were I managed to find my first Spotted Redshank
among the Avocets, Ruff, Godwits etc.

....now I can't wait to get out to Titchwell

Matt

Last edited:
I know it's the wrong county but does anyone know whether there still any Kittiwakes at Lowestoft these days? There used to be loads of them nesting on the pier building by the marina before they pulled it down and then they moved to the specially built wall at the harbour entrance. It was good seeing them nesting on the south side of the harbour pier wall but unfortunately the nests were an easy target for vandals. I don't suppose there are any left in Lowestoft now.

Ron

They were certainly there last year.(haven't been out this year yet)

Hi all,

Continuing with the Kittiwake theme there was an interesting gathering of 29 of them on the sea defences between Happisburgh village and Cart Gap this evening. They were preening/loafing about, perhaps preparing to roost there. Several Sandwich and Common Terns in the area too, increasing numbers of juveniles with them.

Also an adult Little Gull eastward. Tims bird perhaps.....

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back