• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GND - Priory CP Bedford (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Hi Guys,

I see that there has been a GND reported at Priory CP Bedford today, and I seem to recall seeing it a day or two ago too....

Not having been there before, has anyone got any info on the Country Park??

Rgds... Ruby

I saw this bird today up to about 2.15. It was found yesterday morning. The park is pretty easy to find from Bedford town but is basically on the south east side of town. Brown tourist signs will take you there. There seems to have been a bit of an inland influx with birds in Bucks, Leics, Derbys and one in Staines which might be nearer to you perhaps? You'd be very welcome to come to Beds of course - this bird is pretty approachable. Check out the photo on our club website - www.bedsbirdclub.org.uk taken by Nigel Blake.

Best wishes

Richard Bashford

Ruby said:
Hi Guys,

I see that there has been a GND reported at Priory CP Bedford today, and I seem to recall seeing it a day or two ago too....

Not having been there before, has anyone got any info on the Country Park??

Rgds... Ruby

I don't know whereabouts you are in Surrey Ruby but surely the one at Staines is a bit closer for you. Thats also showing quite well, although it does have a tendancy to disappear for long periods.

Graeme.

graeme782 said:
I don't know whereabouts you are in Surrey Ruby but surely the one at Staines is a bit closer for you. Thats also showing quite well, although it does have a tendancy to disappear for long periods.

Graeme.

As it happens, I DID go for the one at Staines - I had been aware of this one, but suspected views might be distant, as I know that the reservoirs at Staines are pretty big...

I had hoped to have a whole day out and therefore fancied a trip somewhere different, but it all went pear-shaped, so a morning out was the best I could manage.

Anyway.... GND had obviously read Graeme's post, because it did show very well, before disappearing never to be seen again - there were a couple of us there, and we didn't see it fly, so I imagine it was just lurking somewhere that we couldn't see it.

Also there were at least 3 male Goldeneye and one female - looking very splendid in the bright sunshine and 2 Black-necked Grebes.... Couldn't help noticing that the cull of Ruddy Ducks didn't seem that effective - there were at least 50 there!

Turned into a bit of a red-letter morning, as I popped into Bookham Common on the way home and found Common Buzzard, lots of Redwing, Bullfinch, Nuthatch, Goldcrest, and best of all, a Firecrest!

Ruby

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the Diver, and if you squint, you can just about tell that the other pic is a Firecrest!

Attachments

• Great Northern Diver.JPG
    Great Northern Diver.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Firecrest2.JPG
    Firecrest2.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 108
I'm glad you asked the question as I'm considering going for the Bedford bird tomorrow, seeing the photo on the Beford bird club site makes me think it would be worth the trip...

The Priory bird is still here today and you can certainly get close to it. There is a Cetti's Warbler and a Goosander or two here also.

Richard Bashford

Forgot to mention (going off on a bit of a tangent!)

When approaching the M25 on the A30, I saw 3 parakeets which appeared to be grey or maybe pale blue in colour - bit difficult to be sure as I was looking right into the light.

Any ideas??

cheers for the info on this bird.

I went this morning and had great views of it, unfortunately the light and the fence (couldn't get into the marina) stopped me getting the best angle to photograph it... but that didn't stop me shooting 200+ frames on it, I will post something later if I got any half decent shots.

It went for a fly about at around 12:25 and according to birdguides flew off east at 13:30 so it seems I got there just in time.

well I've just gone through yesterdays shots and the flat light has made for some really dull images... but here are a couple anyway, not bad as they were shot through a fence!

Attachments

• gnd301106_9893-01.jpg
    gnd301106_9893-01.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 91
  • gnd301106_9772-01.jpg
    gnd301106_9772-01.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 109
postcardcv said:
well I've just gone through yesterdays shots and the flat light has made for some really dull images... but here are a couple anyway, not bad as they were shot through a fence!

Very nice images Peter....

Not sure how your one was behaving, but the one at Staines was not being very co-operative photo-wise.... It would only stay up for a few secs, and then went under for quite a while only to re-appear a fair distance away.

Quite a challenge for the digi-scoping method, and it was only when the bird moved away to a bit further distance that I was able to get any shots at all that were anything other than ripples...

All the best.... Ruby

Ruby said:
Not sure how your one was behaving, but the one at Staines was not being very co-operative photo-wise.... It would only stay up for a few secs, and then went under for quite a while only to re-appear a fair distance away.

It spent much of the time fairly close in (about 10-15m out), and spent a reasonable amount of time on the surface. However it tended to go right out into the middle when it was doing anything interesting (like preening or flapping), so I just got lots of very similar shots. The worst thing was the fence between us and the bird, which I reckon will have degraded the images to some degree.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back