• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (13 Viewers)

Yup 200 solely in Yorks- could have seen the Black Guille - i was ringing in top scrub at Filey but was too busy disentangling a Sparrowhawk from my tutors arm, OUCH!! He was gracious enough to let me remove it from the bird bag an i managed but was struggling with the wing length- he took over as i made it look so easy and got nailed by 8 talons/hyperdermic's immediately. Got a pic and will post in due course. In all i processed 15 birds, flushed a woodcock and unfortunately had a stoat raid 2 greenfinch's out of a net (we saw it killing its 2nd victim and legging it before we could intervene). Obviously we closed that net straight away. The sparrowhawk was caught with starling (only id'able by the wing coverts as it was headless and virtually bald). Was good fun.

Yup 200 solely in Yorks- could have seen the Black Guille - i was ringing in top scrub at Filey but was too busy disentangling a Sparrowhawk from my tutors arm, OUCH!! He was gracious enough to let me remove it from the bird bag an i managed but was struggling with the wing length- he took over as i made it look so easy and got nailed by 8 talons/hyperdermic's immediately. Got a pic and will post in due course. In all i processed 15 birds, flushed a woodcock and unfortunately had a stoat raid 2 greenfinch's out of a net (we saw it killing its 2nd victim and legging it before we could intervene). Obviously we closed that net straight away. The sparrowhawk was caught with starling (only id'able by the wing coverts as it was headless and virtually bald). Was good fun.

I'll give Filey a miss if I'm after Passerines this weekend then. Between the Sparrowhawk, the stoat and you James there'll be none left;)

Had a few hours spare today, popped up to Northcave. All the usual birds, mallard, teal, snipe.....etc. But..got cracking views of a Green Woodpecker no more than 20 yards away, and where was the camera, AT HOME!!! Off to Potterick Carr and Blacktoft on Saturday hoping to get shots of Bitten.

Just had two days back in Yorkshire but according to Birdguides there was not one scarce or rare bird reported anywhere in the county while I was there. Incredibly quiet.
Managed a LTDuck at Filey on Thursday, followed by 4 very late Arctic Terns feeding off Barmston (good record for the winter Atlas!). Best though was at Blacktoft yesterday: we could see skeins of Pink-feet flying all over to the north and east of the reserve and settling somewhere behind the Hope and Anchor pub so I set off to see if I could find them on the ground. Eventually found them, very inconspicuous at the back of a bare field north of Faxfleet- 1080 of them including one with a ring and one with a collar, both duly read and reported.
And hardly any birders anywhere. Two others at Filey, a handful at Blacktoft Sands. There were more in view across at Alkborough than I saw in the rest of the two days, so I wonder what is over there....

Steve

Just had two days back in Yorkshire but according to Birdguides there was not one scarce or rare bird reported anywhere in the county while I was there. Incredibly quiet.
Managed a LTDuck at Filey on Thursday, followed by 4 very late Arctic Terns feeding off Barmston (good record for the winter Atlas!). Best though was at Blacktoft yesterday: we could see skeins of Pink-feet flying all over to the north and east of the reserve and settling somewhere behind the Hope and Anchor pub so I set off to see if I could find them on the ground. Eventually found them, very inconspicuous at the back of a bare field north of Faxfleet- 1080 of them including one with a ring and one with a collar, both duly read and reported.
And hardly any birders anywhere. Two others at Filey, a handful at Blacktoft Sands. There were more in view across at Alkborough than I saw in the rest of the two days, so I wonder what is over there....

Steve

There's been a lot of those pinkfoots about. My dad said he'd seen them over the house, and they've been feeding in one of our fields.

Marcus, how long have those whoopers been there? Are they going to stop lonG (have you seen their schedule)? I still haven't made it to Rodley since I moved out, but I reckon I was gonna have a scout about, and I might as well do it while they're there.

Chris ....there are whoopers coming into the county, I watched a dozen fighting the wind at Filey last weekend. If the birds at Rodders don't hang around, there are usually birds in the Dearne Valley, either at Broomhill, Old Moor or Wombwell Ings.

There's been a lot of those pinkfoots about. My dad said he'd seen them over the house, and they've been feeding in one of our fields.

Marcus, how long have those whoopers been there? Are they going to stop lonG (have you seen their schedule)? I still haven't made it to Rodley since I moved out, but I reckon I was gonna have a scout about, and I might as well do it while they're there.

Thye seem quite happy loafing around the fields, but south yorkshire may offer more variety in general. I love Rodley as it is my local patch, but wouldn't travel to go there unless it wa part of an itinery. It will take about an hour to work the reserve.

Spurn

Hi
Went down to Spurn today, light was poor and not a Breath of wind. Managed to catch up with a Little Bunting on Beacon Lane, Mealey Redpoll, Yellow Brow in the Crown and Anchor car park, with its momento of East Yorkshire attached to its leg ("this seasons must have"). On the way home popped over to Sammys Point and say a Short Eared Owl, to far to photograph. On the sea front, lots of Pom Skuas, apperently catching woodcock as they come in off the sea.....(according to reliable sources)
Photo links to todays Pics:
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p124/northgate70/Redpoll2.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p124/northgate70/Redpoll.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p124/northgate70/LittleBunting.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p124/northgate70/L3ittleBunting.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p124/northgate70/LittleBunting2.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p124/northgate70/yellowbrow.jpg

Regards
Dave

Had a corking afternoon today down at Wheldrake Ings including two patch ticks and my patch bogey bird was amongst them!! Was a chilly afternoon and there were plenty of tits including an extremely buffy coloured pair of Willow Tits. A bit further along the path i thought i was gonna stumble on more as i heard 'peu peu' but no, it was a pair of Bullfinches (saw 5 in all today, a good count). There were several hundred Greylags and Canada Geese around the reserve along with hundreds of Wigeon and Teal. From the tower hide I saw a female Stonechat in front which was a bit of a lame patch tick. Apparently a male was about somewhere but it wasn't calling. Further along down by the windmill i heard a whistling/ripping sound and then saw a large bird of prey stooping, trying to down some teal. A Peregrine at last! It showed really well and made some more half arsed attempts to take down teal and mallards. It made several appearances through the afternoon, a juv bird obviously practising hunting without any serious intent. Later on a Barn Owl was a nice site. As i was leaving in the dark a Buzzard (only my 2nd patch record) was being mobbed by a few crows only visible in silhouette. I was sure that i heard a Raven going 'Kronk Kronk' but couldn't see it so not sure. Ace day!

Had a corking afternoon today down at Wheldrake Ings including two patch ticks and my patch bogey bird was amongst them!! Was a chilly afternoon and there were plenty of tits including an extremely buffy coloured pair of Willow Tits. A bit further along the path i thought i was gonna stumble on more as i heard 'peu peu' but no, it was a pair of Bullfinches (saw 5 in all today, a good count). There were several hundred Greylags and Canada Geese around the reserve along with hundreds of Wigeon and Teal. From the tower hide I saw a female Stonechat in front which was a bit of a lame patch tick. Apparently a male was about somewhere but it wasn't calling. Further along down by the windmill i heard a whistling/ripping sound and then saw a large bird of prey stooping, trying to down some teal. A Peregrine at last! It showed really well and made some more half arsed attempts to take down teal and mallards. It made several appearances through the afternoon, a juv bird obviously practising hunting without any serious intent. Later on a Barn Owl was a nice site. As i was leaving in the dark a Buzzard (only my 2nd patch record) was being mobbed by a few crows only visible in silhouette. I was sure that i heard a Raven going 'Kronk Kronk' but couldn't see it so not sure. Ace day!

Sounds like a nice day James. Recently it's been difficult to go down the ings and not see a Common Buzzard, a very welcome situation. The days when they were rarities in the York area, and Lower Derwent, are long gone and the breeding population seems to be increasing year-on-year which is fantastic. The Peregrine sounds like the same juv that has been kicking around for a while, but must admit I've not seen it for a few weeks, whilst the pair of Stonechats have been in front of Tower Hide for a couple of weeks but can be elusive at times amongst the vegetation. Likewise there seems to be plenty of Bullfinches about, always a pleasure to watch.

I also had a bird filled day, but I was in south yorks - Potteric and then Old Moor. pleanty of nice birds, but still no LSW and this was my fourth attempt. I do love black carr wood though those trees must be many years old and you can feel their history.

Old Moor was so busy that the car park and the overflow car park were both full and visitors were parking on the road. I did a rough count of 140 cars and a coach, which is crazy. Apparently there are three firecrests there now, but I saw none.

Attachments

• jats.jpg
    jats.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 61
  • kfer.jpg
    kfer.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 80
  • wrail.jpg
    wrail.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 75
Bird Atlas Losh Potts!

Hi All

Did my first timed tetrad visit to one of my squares today which included Losh Potts. Was good to revisit the area, some of the highlights included:

3 Stonechat
7 Teal
22 Tufted Duck
11 Pochard
2 Wigeon
1 Snipe
8 Lapwing
3 Little Grebe
1 Great Crested Grebe
18 Canada Geese
2 Little Owl
6 Tree Sparrow
16 Meadow Pipits

108 Pink-footed Geese (flew NE fairly low)

Cheers

Andy

Ring-necked Parakeet

There was a Ring-necked Parakeet in Spofforth this morning, c 09.00 hrs, flew towards Stockheld/Wetherby way though...

Also had a nice flock of 80 Linnet behind my house in Monk Fryston!

Cheers

Andy

There was a Ring-necked Parakeet in Spofforth this morning, c 09.00 hrs, flew towards Stockheld/Wetherby way though...

Also had a nice flock of 80 Linnet behind my house in Monk Fryston!

Cheers

Andy

I'll keep an eye out for it Andy. Were the Little Owls at Losh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back