• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Enjoying The Evening Chorus (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
At the moment my window is open and I hear lot's and lots of bird song, Blackbirds etc it's really beautiful are you getting that right now?

Song

Euan Buchan said:
At the moment my window is open and I hear lot's and lots of bird song, Blackbirds etc it's really beautiful are you getting that right now?

Did have it earlier Euan and I agree, really beautiful. As someone who has now learnt that to appreciate birds to the full it is important to recognise bird songs and calls I take a much greater interest in them. Not easy to pick up though but I am getting there with practice. Thank goodness for the good old Chiffchaff that makes life so easy. ;)

I am lucky because I have a little wood opposite me so there's a wide variety of birdsong, and often owls at night! The robins always seem to be the last singers, but once I was leaning out of my window listening to a strange noise that was completely unrelated to birds, when a dunnock suddenly burst into a flurry of song! That was so peculiar, it was completely dark!

We live next to a small wood too and get a fantastic evening chorus - wren, blackbird, great tit, blue tit, coal tit, robin, dunnock, willow warbler and amazingly loud song thrush. And our resident male pheasant who lets us all know he's around by making a right racket before he goes to roost every evening!

We are both really glad our willow warbler is still singing as he crashed into Neil's open car door a few days ago. First I knew of it was Neil yelling for me to come quickly and he was horror-struck at the body of this poor tiny bird lying on the ground! I picked it up, saw that it was 'our' Willow Warbler and he was panting slightly so I took him indoors, put him into a shoebox and put him straight into the dark & warm airing cupboard for an hour. After that I could hear him moving around so brought him back outside and let Neil open the box to release him. He flew up into the branches of the big Ash Tree with no sign of injury so we felt really glad for the rest of the day!
I was amazed at just HOW tiny this bird was in my hand though...how on earth do these little guys fly all the way to Africa and back every year? Really brings home to you JUST how amazing the natural world really is!
Next morning we heard him singing away in the woods so he's obviously recovered ok. :t:

GILL :bounce:

Song

Gill Osborne said:
We are both really glad our willow warbler is still singing as he crashed into Neil's open car door a few days ago. First I knew of it was Neil yelling for me to come quickly and he was horror-struck at the body of this poor tiny bird lying on the ground! I picked it up, saw that it was 'our' Willow Warbler and he was panting slightly so I took him indoors, put him into a shoebox and put him straight into the dark & warm airing cupboard for an hour. After that I could hear him moving around so brought him back outside and let Neil open the box to release him. He flew up into the branches of the big Ash Tree with no sign of injury so we felt really glad for the rest of the day!
I was amazed at just HOW tiny this bird was in my hand though...how on earth do these little guys fly all the way to Africa and back every year? Really brings home to you JUST how amazing the natural world really is!
Next morning we heard him singing away in the woods so he's obviously recovered ok. :t:

Yes Gill I to have been suprised to see W. Warblers looking so tiny in the hand. The head especially looks minute. Don't know whether you were speaking to the ringers who were around at on the day of the NE meet. I was glad to get out of the rain and watch them at work for a while. They were saying tha the W Warblers weight was well down after their journey North and the two I saw measured and ringed were reluctant to fly off until they were given a little time in the bag to warm up. It was a lousy day for feeding so hope they coped ok. The rather well fed resident Wren had no problem and was off like a shot. But such wonderful sounds from such tiny individuals. As you say the natural world is amazing and not least in managing to cope with extreme obstacles. Euan has reminded me to keep my ears working overtime!

Gill Osborne said:
We live next to a small wood too and get a fantastic evening chorus - wren, blackbird, great tit, blue tit, coal tit, robin, dunnock, willow warbler and amazingly loud song thrush. And our resident male pheasant who lets us all know he's around by making a right racket before he goes to roost every evening!

Thats a great story Gill, as you say how do these little fella's do that long haul, year after year, the build of fat reserves they need is incredible. Glad hes back to full song.

Euan Buchan said:
Its getting better each evening, Euan. Its good to get home from work, and after tea go out in the garden with brew in hand, and just sit and listen what a
way to end the day.

Hi Euan, I've just opened my window (24 and a half hours after you started this thread) and I can hear Blackbird, Robin and Song Thrush singing in the rain. It is absolutely wonderful! Enjoy ..........

Nerine

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back