• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Breeding BW Stilts at Slimbridge. (1 Viewer)

helenol

Following on from Chris Monks thread re these birds arriving at Slimbridge, here is the latest:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/4548953.stm

A 24-hour watch is to be set up to protect a rare pair of black-winged stilts which have started to breed.

Wardens at the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust (WWT) at Slimbridge have decided on the protective measures after the birds spent the last 48 hours mating. Martin McGill, senior warden at Slimbridge said: "These birds don't hang around, there could be an egg within two weeks."

The "exclusion zone" would protect the birds from people and dogs.

The pair of black-winged stilts have taken up residence at a marsh in Frampton, near the WWT centre.

It is believed if the birds - which have never been seen in Gloucestershire before - breed successfully, they will become only the third ever pair to successfully raise chicks in the UK.

The stilts have a striking black and white plumage with long bright red legs and a needle-straight black bill. Black-winged stilts winter in Africa before heading north to spend summer in the Mediterranean and other warm parts of the continent. It is thought they were blown off-course by the recent strong easterly winds.

Mr McGill said: "They've been mating on and off for the last two days now.

"We have been having meetings to work out what plans to take as we've got to give the birds a chance to successfully raise their young.

"It would be a huge event if the breeding is successful, we are all very excited. "We would need to keep people away from the site and dogs out on walks as we don't want anything to disturb the couple."

Thanks for sharing the great news Helen. Reminds of my visit to Martin Mere last week not only did I see my first Avocet but I saw its 2 little chicks. I remember when this bird was confined to East Anglia. You never no maybe in another 20 years I will be looking at black winged stilt chicks at martin mere!

No sign of them so far this morning. Am I right in thinking this wouldn't be the first time stilts have been seen mating and then gone somewhere else? Just seems to ring a faint bell.

Bluetail said:
No sign of them so far this morning. Am I right in thinking this wouldn't be the first time stilts have been seen mating and then gone somewhere else? Just seems to ring a faint bell.

Absolutely. I forget the precise year, but I watched a pair at Oare Marshes that spent an evening displaying and mating, and they buggered off without trace. It happens.

Jon

A few years ago a pair settled in Cheshire, were seen mating elsewhere before settling down at Frodsham where I had the pleasure of a 24 hour watch myself.

Unfortunately the nest was flooded out.

I went yesterday evening and saw them, they looked pretty settled, but perhaps the calm clear night last night encouraged them to move on?

Dear BFs

Are these black winged stilts (himantopus himantopus).

The blacked winged stilt mentioned above was kind enough to nest and rare young about 20 ft in front of a hide at homebush bay (site of Sydney Olympics) this summer.

best wishes

raymondjohn

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back