• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The language of birding (1 Viewer)

Johann Sebastian Bach

"Just had crippling views of a Gropper.", said Birder 1.
Birder 2 replied, "Tart's tick. I got it UTB years ago. But I gripped back Waterbeast last year."
"How's your Yank list now?", B1 said, sarcastically. "Still a few blockers there - and you dipped on Greater Legs."
"Yanks don't bother me", said B2. "Sibes and BOPs - that's what pulls my strings - especially Hume's and barn doors."
"I think you mean stringer."

Most UK birders will understand the above but:

1. what birding jargon exists outside the UK;
2. can you suggest any new bits of jargon;
3. anything else?

Peter

One of the first times I went birding a guy at Staines said he had "dipped Pec" but seen crippling views of a "Ringtail". I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about and it was only some years later after reading "Bill Oddies Little Black Bird Book" that I finally understood. I don't use the language myself but don't mind it, it seems like harmless fun to me. The Pipits are fun, especially "Rocket" which I rather like. I can't dream any new ones up though, I will leave that to others.

Stick-dicks is one I use often....much to other people's initial confusion.....then they think about it and.....presto!! ;)
Mipit, Ripit, Tripit, Scripit, Wipit, Pechipit, Tawnipit, Red-thripit.....;)

In Dutch we also use abbreviations for some birds. For example:

Middelste Bonte Specht (Middle Spotted Woodpecker) is MiBo in short.

Roodborsttapuit (Euro Stonechat) is Robotap in short.

Words as listers, blockers, ... are also commonly used.

One of my old birding friends from the early 90s, who ( let's put this gently ) would have failed his rocket science exams at school, could not get to grips at all with the pipit contractions and used to call them Tree Mipit, Rock Mipit etc etc.

Add to those Blackwits, Barwits, PG Tips, Sprawks, Montys, Bonxies, Tysties, AGPs etc and you've got a whole language to confuse newbies.

It's all a bit old hat though isn't it? Most of this jargon's been around since BOLBBB which must be stuck in the 80s - where's the yoof input with their txt spk, LOLling all over new, cutting-edge abbreviations?

It's all a bit old hat though isn't it? Most of this jargon's been around since BOLBBB which must be stuck in the 80s - where's the yoof input with their txt spk, LOLling all over new, cutting-edge abbreviations?

Even rares and scares are sooo last decade - perhaps we need st1chat or semipalm8d sand?

For that matter, where are the yoofs? Most of the birders I see nowadays are middle-aged or elderly.

On another forum, Gandytron writes:

As for the 'nora's, what a great find - the stuff of dreams!

If I'd not been keeping up with the news, this might have had me guessing for a while....
And I still haven't worked out stick-dicks.

Peter

Stick-dicks is one I use often....much to other people's initial confusion.....then they think about it and.....presto!! ;)

That gave me a laugh until I suddenly wondered whether you were referring to the Picidae or a Scolopax. Or maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick-dick entirely!...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back