• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nightjar Lamping (1 Viewer)

I'm very much a beginner in all this and I'm learning what is and isn't reasonable as I go along. I have on one occasion used a torch to illuminate an owl, but not chased it.

A lot of this thread has been condemning lamping breeding birds, with some focus on Schedule 1. The original post talked about people chasing the birds around the clearing.
So, my questions (relating to bird watching, not scientific study etc):

1) are there occasions when using a lamp to observe birds is acceptable?
2) What are these occasions?
3) Would a low power lamp be acceptable?

My personal opinion, Graeme, is:

1. None
2. n/a
3. No

However, I'm an ex-twitcher and confess to a variety of examples of "over-eager" behaviour in the past, where seeing a bird became more important than its welfare. So I've trespassed, got too close, trampled crops and stood in front of other birders' 'scopes.

Good luck in the moral maze!

Peter

Last edited:
Unacceptable behaviour anywhere, including Africa. I agree that a very bad example was set and that you might consider Jos's suggestion of contacting the group concerned.
I've tried the other trick from yesteryear, doffing a hat at intervals to reveal a shock of white hair. I've never had any success with this - but I'm now lucky enough to live within a few hundred yards of a regular nest-site.
(No smiley for smug grin, unfortunately.)

Peter

Could you explain why you consider it to be acceptable to use a technique (i.e. flashing a white object) which mimics characteristics of an intruding competitor in a breeding birds territory, in order to elicit a response? How is this any different to, say, using a recording of a bird's song to lure it into view?

When a scientific expedition wishes to collect a specimen of a new species of owl, is it acceptable to spotlight the owl, to enable it to be shot. Or should they shoot "in the general direction" of the call?

cheers, a

When a scientific expedition wishes to collect a specimen of a new species of owl, is it acceptable to spotlight the owl, to enable it to be shot. Or should they shoot "in the general direction" of the call?

cheers, a

Maybe they could use a red filter like they do with the Kiwi's in NZ? That way the bird wouldn't get stressed as they took their shot...

Also...anyone criticising should probably ask themselves if they visited Thrupp in the last few years...

McM

Last edited:

Maybe the honourable members of the expedition could stand in a tight circle around the said bird and then all shoot inwards at once, they would surely hit something.

Nice one Jos. Just re-read the thread and all the way through I was thinking about the Scop's at Thrupp, not sure where it got to but it must have been blind by then. I got there at 10am, saw the bird twice in the daylight, had a picnic, enjoyed the day but left as soon as I saw the behaviour of the hundreds of people who came that night. That was the last twitch I ever went on.

Could you explain why you consider it to be acceptable to use a technique (i.e. flashing a white object) which mimics characteristics of an intruding competitor in a breeding birds territory, in order to elicit a response? How is this any different to, say, using a recording of a bird's song to lure it into view?

Aaaach - I hate it when this happens.
Of course, you're absolutely correct to make this point. There exists a rather homely distinction in my mind between the old ways (white 'kerchiefs; crawling on all fours; and pishing) and the newer ones (tapes, lights, etc.).
I acknowledge that the old ways also include shotguns and that my argument has no logical validity whatsoever.

Peter:-C

Nice one Jos. Just re-read the thread and all the way through I was thinking about the Scop's at Thrupp, not sure where it got to but it must have been blind by then. I got there at 10am, saw the bird twice in the daylight, had a picnic, enjoyed the day but left as soon as I saw the behaviour of the hundreds of people who came that night. That was the last twitch I ever went on.

Mike,

I can't recall the bird ever being seen in daylight - when was this? And I assume it wasn't at its roost? If so, do I assume it was flushed out of its roost?

The bird can't have been that blind. It managed to fly to Africa and back again to Thrupp the next year! It must surely have enjoyed hunting by artificial light, as they so often do in the Med. B :)

cheers, alan

There was an abandoned car and the Scop's could be seen nearby. It was not flushed at any time during my visit, I went back to see it again later in the day. It was seen in daylight by several people who turned up during the day. Sorry, the bit about being blind was tounge-in-cheek, I see them most nights here hunting for moths around the street lights, I just did not like the behaviour that night, pushing, shoving and ignoring "keep out" signs, not my scene at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back