Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 19th May 2017, 21:12   #876
Mike Montier

Forgot to say that September and October are the best months. Mike
Old Saturday 20th May 2017, 08:13   #877
phil turney

Hi Mike
Thank you very much for the info. I will be staying in Port de Pollenca
11-26 Sept. I have seen a Facebook pic of your lot at the Albercutx tower I think it was. Is this good for Autumn raptor migration?
Phil
Old Saturday 20th May 2017, 09:46   #878
HartleyPoole

After a Feb and May visit last year, could only get the wife and teenagers to agree to first two weeks in August this year halfway up the Palma to Valldemossa ... I'm going to frazzle to a crisp. Counting the days now, especially as plenty of UK people I 'know' been over...

Can't wait to wake up at five every morning and go for a drive then a wander and back to feed or take the tribe out for lunch. It's a well worked balancing act!

Miss these sights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4862.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	627601  
Old Saturday 20th May 2017, 14:12   #879
Mike Montier

Hi Phil, it's worth a go at the tower in September but nobody really knows as all the locals come south! It will be very interesting to find out what passes through there at that time of the year. I suspect it will be very quiet so good luck, you never know! Mike
Old Saturday 20th May 2017, 14:16   #880
Mike Montier

A good morning at the tower this morning with the first Honey Buzzards coming through before 9am which is earlier than usual. Good numbers though.
I did hear that some visitors saw some raptor migration past the tower during last week. Lalo keeps a record of all raptor migration so if anyone has any details could they please post them here and I will pass the sightings on. Many thanks, Mike
Old Saturday 20th May 2017, 14:20   #881
Mike Montier

A report of a mega seen from Sa Roca, a Western Reef Heron, an all dark individual and the real deal this time, not one of the hybrid ones that have been knocking around the Island recently. I have seen photos and it's a real stunner. Hope it sticks for anyone wanting to see it. Mike
Old Saturday 20th May 2017, 17:20   #882
Mcnswiss2

Swifts seen at the airport today..looked like Pallid...anything reported Mike?

Cheers
Old Saturday 20th May 2017, 17:43   #883
Mike Montier

I don't remember seeing Pallid swift that far inland before Mike. Perhaps they do venture there, I really don't know, but I have rarely seen them far from the coast. Maybe others have? Mike
Old Saturday 20th May 2017, 18:50   #884
StewB

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeym View Post
Here's a synopsis of some of the last few years:
In 2010 19 October
In 2011 12 October
In 2012 23 October
In 2013 18 October
In 2015 early November.
Thanks Martin & Mike, guess I'll have to add dunnock to the list of birds to plan another off-season trip around (although after my last off-peak trip in Feb 2015, when we had gales, torrential rain and even snow, I might have difficulty persuading my wife to agree).

Stew
Old Sunday 21st May 2017, 05:20   #885
Mcnswiss2

Dunnocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewB View Post
Birds seen included:

...Nightingales, Cetti and Fantailed Warblers, Dunnock and Purple Swamphen...

Oooooo.... dunnock! Still need it for my Mallorca list - was it a one-off, or will I be able to look for it when I'm back in September?

Stew
Hi Stew
Sorry for delay as I have just got back.
I am not so sure now about the dunnock as it was not a good view in the undergrowth however had the right head patterns etc..possible young Cetti.
I checked the previous BBR reports and the bird normally not seen this late.

Best place I have found them is in the Roman Ruins in Alcudia in the winter

Cheers

Mike Swiss

Last edited by Mcnswiss2 : Sunday 21st May 2017 at 06:58.
Old Sunday 21st May 2017, 08:58   #886
StewB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcnswiss2 View Post
Hi Stew
Sorry for delay as I have just got back.
I am not so sure now about the dunnock as it was not a good view in the undergrowth however had the right head patterns etc..possible young Cetti.
I checked the previous BBR reports and the bird normally not seen this late.

Best place I have found them is in the Roman Ruins in Alcudia in the winter

Cheers

Mike Swiss
Thanks Mike - definitely looks like I'll have to be at my persuasive best & negotiate a Winter visit!

Stew
Old Sunday 21st May 2017, 19:31   #887
Mike Montier

Hi Stew, October and November are usually the best months of the year weather wise, really sunny and warm with lots of sunshine and sharp light. The spring however can be unpredictable, cold and wet, as you found out! Not a bad idea to come at that time, hope you make it one day. Mike
Old Monday 22nd May 2017, 10:07   #888
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

The western reef heron

Finally this weekend after several months with hybrids around the island, we have got a genuine Western Reef Heron, it is flying around the fileds of the information center of s'Albufera N.P. and from time to time the heron lands at in front of Sa Roca hide to feed.
Yesterday it was a very nice onservation and I was very happy because it is a lifer for me!
Regards
Pep
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	M241_Agro_Esculls.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	851.3 KB
ID:	627866  
Old Monday 22nd May 2017, 10:43   #889
Mcnswiss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep Manchado View Post
Finally this weekend after several months with hybrids around the island, we have got a genuine Western Reef Heron, it is flying around the fileds of the information center of s'Albufera N.P. and from time to time the heron lands at in front of Sa Roca hide to feed.
Yesterday it was a very nice onservation and I was very happy because it is a lifer for me!
Regards
Pep
Brill!!

Great photo and great lifer!
Old Monday 22nd May 2017, 10:48   #890
Marina Tysoe

We had a really good day yesterday at the Albufera:

During the last two days, the Western Reef heron (Egretta gularis) has been seen from Sa Roca at midday time. We managed to get there around 3pm and it flew in half an hour latter. It stood quite close to us for 5 minutes and then left south. A few Glossy Ibis (Plegadis falcinellus) were constantly coming and going, carrying out some nest material with them each time. After a while, the Spoon Bill (Platalea leucorodia) flew down and the Western Reef heron reappeared. Three wonderful species in the same area at the same time, fantastic!

We saw a total of 34 species during the three hours we sat there, including a Hoopoe, 5 Marbled ducks, Cattle Egret, Squacco Heron, Black crowned Night heron, Purple Swanphen and the local Golden eagle.
Old Monday 22nd May 2017, 15:56   #891
eagle33
Craig Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep Manchado View Post
Regards
Pep
WOW!
Old Monday 22nd May 2017, 19:35   #892
Mike Montier

What a beautiful bird, congratulations to all concerned and thanks for posting Pep. Mike
Old Monday 22nd May 2017, 20:26   #893
honeym

Fantastic bird - and photo!
Martin
Old Monday 22nd May 2017, 21:44   #894
Derek Polley

ID help

I am compiling a trip report but would value some help with a couple of images. the first one we thought were dunlin but might they be curlew sandpiper?

The second one we are fairly sure is a green sand as we saw the rump when it took off, but it 's not what it is in the guide!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Curlew sandpipers (4).JPG
Views:	111
Size:	798.7 KB
ID:	627944  Click image for larger version

Name:	Green sandpiper (1).JPG
Views:	110
Size:	682.8 KB
ID:	627945  
Old Tuesday 23rd May 2017, 07:32   #895
Mike Montier

Hi Derek. I think your first birds are Curlew sandpipers. The back is uniform as opposed to the whitish stripes shown on Dunlin. Also the bill seems too decurved even for Dunlin with longer bills.
Not sure about the second bird though, it seems to have a white patch on the side of the breast indicating a Common sandpiper. Other features fit Green sandpiper. Perhaps others can comment. Mike
Old Tuesday 23rd May 2017, 12:17   #896
Andy Atkinson
Druridge Bayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Hi Derek. I think your first birds are Curlew sandpipers. The back is uniform as opposed to the whitish stripes shown on Dunlin. Also the bill seems too decurved even for Dunlin with longer bills.
Not sure about the second bird though, it seems to have a white patch on the side of the breast indicating a Common sandpiper. Other features fit Green sandpiper. Perhaps others can comment. Mike
Agree with you Mike. Curlew Sand has the white patch at the base of the bill which is in indicator in that plumage I think. Common Sand has the white patch so agree there too.
Andy
Old Tuesday 23rd May 2017, 22:03   #897
Derek Polley

There were a lot of common sand about that day, this bird was different but had that white patch which muddied the waters so to speak. My pal saw it flying off when everything spooked and noted a rump patch and flight pattern unlike common. Thanks for the help report still in process of being written and illustrated
Old Thursday 25th May 2017, 13:04   #898
Pancho44

Vultures etc

We caught the bus to the Mirador de Colomer today and walked up to the tower. Honey Buzzards ... Black Vultures ... and an Egyptian Vulture. Also met Mike ... nice to catch up with him after following this thread each time we come to Mallorca!
Old Thursday 25th May 2017, 15:51   #899
Mike Montier

Hi Pancho44, nice to meet you too. It was a great morning but it got very busy later with far too many people trying to get up to the tower.
We finished the day with 17 Honey Buzzard, 1 Black Kite, 4 Black vultures and an Egyptian Vulture. (Sorry I shouted so loud, I just got very excited at seeing this very scarce bird!)
Possibly a distant Bonelli's eagle but too far away to be sure.
On to Albufera and we saw one more Honey Buzzard over the marsh.
A great day. Mike
Old Thursday 25th May 2017, 19:55   #900
Mike Montier

And at least two Glossy Ibis and a Spoonbill seen from Sa Roca hide as well, also at least two Balearic warblers in song near the tower, Mike
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: