Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 19th May 2017, 23:30   #51
edwincjones

my choice for low light was
Zeiss dialyt 8x56
old design, new made
cool appearance

edj
Old Saturday 20th May 2017, 19:02   #52
Malloot

The Zeiss Dialyt 8x56 look very cool, but handle very poor and a definitely no go for is that they aren't waterproof, also the eyecups are not so nice when you wear glasses. The minimum focus distance is also quite long, which make them less universal. And at last, they aren't so bright anymore compared to the roof prism competitors that are available nowadays.
Old Saturday 20th May 2017, 20:03   #53
Loud Green Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloot View Post
The Zeiss Dialyt 8x56 aren't waterproof.
This surprises me given they have been the go-to binocular for the diserning European (woodland) hunter since they hit the market but clearly you know what you're talking about.

To what depth are the modern low light binoculars you refer to good for?

LGM

Last edited by Loud Green Man : Sunday 21st May 2017 at 17:39.
Old Wednesday 24th May 2017, 02:28   #54
Rathaus

I find the Dialyt 8x56 to be a great low light/difficult light glass. Zeiss only stopped making it a couple of years ago. I can easily see why it has a constant cult following for so many decades while other great Zeiss come and go.

Just wondering....Has Zeiss made any other binoculars which had a longer production run than the Dialyt 8x56? (With so few changes?)
Old Wednesday 24th May 2017, 13:00   #55
John Frink

[quote=...any thoughts on the finest low light set of bins out there? [/QUOTE]

I'd like to propose the Zeiss 7x45 Night Owl as a candidate. It's like a 7x42BGAT on steroids; it has the same wide field and clarity, plus a 6.4mm exit pupil. Heavier than the BGAT, yes, but it's more portable than a 50/54/56.

John
Old Saturday 27th May 2017, 18:05   #56
WJC

There has been much talk here about “light grasp.” But, am I out of line in wondering about the importance of quality over quantity? A 70mm “No Name” from China is going to blow away the best 40mm of Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, and the better Nikons as related to light grasp alone. But, is it going to make for a more enjoyable viewing experience when matters of glare suppression, chromatic aberration, field curvature, astigmatism, distortion, rigidity in collimation, AR coatings, eye relief, and other things enter the equation?

Just a thought,

Bill

Last edited by WJC : Saturday 27th May 2017 at 18:10.
Old Saturday 27th May 2017, 18:45   #57
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
There has been much talk here about “light grasp.” But, am I out of line in wondering about the importance of quality over quantity? A 70mm “No Name” from China is going to blow away the best 40mm of Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, and the better Nikons as related to light grasp alone. But, is it going to make for a more enjoyable viewing experience when matters of glare suppression, chromatic aberration, field curvature, astigmatism, distortion, rigidity in collimation, AR coatings, eye relief, and other things enter the equation?

Just a thought,

Bill
Good points of thought, Bill!

IMO, you are perfectly "In-the-Line-Up"!

Ted
Old Sunday 28th May 2017, 01:49   #58
adhoc

Allbinos have tested the new Steiner Nighthunter 8x56 porro and rate it at their very highest level. Note that they are yet to test the Swarovski SLC 8x56 or the Zeiss HT 8x54.
Old Sunday 28th May 2017, 22:00   #59
Loud Green Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post

Just a thought,

Bill
Yes, of course any set of binos must be able to accuratly resolve a target as distinct from simply light c/o an overgenerous objective. They must also be robust so one is not constantly worrying about prism shift at the slightest bump!

I'm therfore sticking with an 8X56 Zeiss Night Owl as I've convinced myself that the carrying of what amounts to a pair of lead shot weighted bottles around my neck must afford them magical properties.

LGM
Old Monday 29th May 2017, 23:45   #60
Rathaus

While on the topic of Zeiss and 'Low Light' - I noticed the elephant in the room...Did Zeiss ever sort the 'issues' with their flagship 8x54 HT and the 10x54 HT?

I remember there were entire Zeiss threads with unanimous (and seemingly evidence based and well informed) wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth due to the woeful performance of these flagship 'low light' Zeiss bins. Some highly respected members compared their performance to $100 Chinese binoculars. Zeiss was cognisant of the threads and negative feedback.
Then, it all went quiet. I possibly missed any resolution to the issues.

What was the upshot of it all...a design flaw, or early batch issues?
Were those initial concerns all sorted by Zeiss?
Is the 54HT back on the recommended list?
Old Tuesday 30th May 2017, 00:00   #61
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathaus View Post
I find the Dialyt 8x56 to be a great low light/difficult light glass. Zeiss only stopped making it a couple of years ago. I can easily see why it has a constant cult following for so many decades while other great Zeiss come and go.

Just wondering....Has Zeiss made any other binoculars which had a longer production run than the Dialyt 8x56? (With so few changes?)
Hell Rathaus,

The still current 7x50BT* has been around a long time. It has gone by names like the Nautica and the Marine but it probably has not changed since the introduction of multi-coating. There were early versions which did not have the 'B' for Briller [eyeglasses] designation or lacked multi-coating. However I believe that it may differ significantly from the Binoctems.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood
Old Tuesday 30th May 2017, 01:09   #62
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathaus View Post
While on the topic of Zeiss and 'Low Light' - I noticed the elephant in the room...Did Zeiss ever sort the 'issues' with their flagship 8x54 HT and the 10x54 HT?

I remember there were entire Zeiss threads with unanimous (and seemingly evidence based and well informed) wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth due to the woeful performance of these flagship 'low light' Zeiss bins. Some highly respected members compared their performance to $100 Chinese binoculars. Zeiss was cognisant of the threads and negative feedback.
Then, it all went quiet. I possibly missed any resolution to the issues.

What was the upshot of it all...a design flaw, or early batch issues?
Were those initial concerns all sorted by Zeiss?
Is the 54HT back on the recommended list?

It probably doesn't make much difference. Their biggest problem seems to be self made. They are in competition with their own Zeiss Conquest 8 and 10x56 HD binoculars which cost $1000.00 less.

https://www.eagleoptics.com/collecti...iss+large-size

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 30th May 2017, 02:05   #63
Rathaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
Hell Rathaus,

The still current 7x50BT* has been around a long time. It has gone by names like the Nautica and the Marine but it probably has not changed since the introduction of multi-coating. There were early versions which did not have the 'B' for Briller [eyeglasses] designation or lacked multi-coating. However I believe that it may differ significantly from the Binoctems.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood
Cheers Arthur. I've had an eyeball on the 7x50 Zeiss ever since we had a banter about them. The problem is that they hold onto their value so well...there is no cheap admission to this binocular.
One of the European members noted that the 8x56 Dialyt started production in 1965 and discontinued in 2016. That is a good innings in anybody's book. So, the 7x50 production is possibly similar or even longer?

Rathaus
Old Tuesday 30th May 2017, 07:01   #64
Gijs van Ginkel

adhoc, post 58,
I have pubished a test report of the Zeiss HT 8x54 and the Swarovski SLC 8x56 on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor. In that report I have also listed my test results of the older Zeiss 56 mm's including the Nightowl and the 8x5 Dialyt and ,if I rember well, also of the original Hensoldt 8x56 Dialyt.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Wednesday 31st May 2017, 12:25   #65
adhoc

Thanks Gijs, I now read those 2 or 3 fine review articles again. (I don't remember whether 2 or 3 because it was one day ago--this response has been delayed-- and their content overlap). I had read them some time ago, and in the meantime my interest in 8x56 waned, and has now recently revived. The new Minox 8x56 with its 7.8(!) deg. FOV (stated by them) is presently very attractive to me, subject to reviews, expected any time from Piergiovanni of Binomania (pl. see Minox sub-forum) and others, including you of course! The Zeiss Victory FL 8x56 is still selling (new) at high price.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: