• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Enjoying Great Optics (1 Viewer)

Hobbes2

In the hope that I'll find people who can relate to the joy of birding with great optics, I thought I'd share my recent experience...

....I'm in the process of going through lengthy physical rehabilitation after 8+ years of being pretty incapacitated. This month marked the completion of 1 year of doing a weekly hydrotherapy regime which has been both hard going and rewarding. Anyways....

.....as a kind of mark of the achievement, I'd saved up and finally treated myself to a superb pair of compact binoculars, the Ziess Victory 8x20. And, I'm so pleased I did. I'd never before appreciated how thoroughly enjoyable really good optics are. They are a pleasure to use. Some people say it's like looking at HD TV when you look through them, and I can see where they are coming from. The view is crisp, contrasty, bright and substantial/3D.

I'm also extremely pleased I decided to invest in a binocular that I can put in my coat pocket. They're always with me whenever I'm out on a walk however short that is. I live in a socially deprived area and walking about with a pair of binoculars round your neck is likely to get you into trouble so having a pair that I can safely stick in my pocket is spot on. Over the past few weeks I have seen some glorious sights which, had I not had my compacts, would have otherwise gone unwitnessed. In particular there was one morning I stepped out onto the footpath along some local fields and a small bird flew up from the earth to the bushes some way up along the path. I grabbed my binoculars, set them on the bird and discovered a beautiful Yellowhammer, shining in the sunlight, perched so that only I could see him. Then there was the late afternoon when I walked through some local woodland and up ahead spotted a red-breasted bird come to rest on some fencing. First thoughts were that it was a Robin but looking through binoculars, I was thrilled to find the most handsome male Bullfinch feeding on blackberries. He was the first and only Bullfinch I've seen in those woods in 10 years of enjoying them!

Anyway, there we go. An 'hurrah' for great optics. They have enhanced my experience of observing birds and nature and have already given me some cherished memories. I'm chuffed to bits I bought them! Anyone else really thrilled with their purchases...?

Hobbes

Hello Hobbes, Thank you for your up-lifting post. Using really good binoculars to look at birds or other views as if you have moved 8x closer, almost not being aware that you are looking through something, is indeed a joy.
Regards, John

Last edited:
Hobbes,
Right on bro. Of course it is nature, not the instrument, that is supposed to be "the thing". But whoever said "This view is just too good, I simply must get a worse binocular!"?
Ron

Good post Hobbes.

In the same vein, I never really got why some have 27 different pair of mediocre binoculars. Give me just one pair of really good bins that I'll always have with me, thanks.

Nice post Hobbes and congratulations on your new bins. I've not personally tried those but they sound like the perfect ones for you.o:)

+

Hobbes2,
So often we get consumed by things that really don't matter,
and all it takes is a simple post like yours to put things in absolute perspective.
Truly appreciating the little things in life without missing the big picture.

Well done Hobbes2 & keep up the good work!

Brian

My sentiments exactly, Hobbes! I have the same binocular and usually have it with me wherever I go.

And best wishes to you and for your continued progress!

Bob

Last edited:
How wonderful it is that you are up and about enjoying nature's 'greatest show on earth'. I keep the little Victory's with me constantly and am amazed at how much others have missed by going too fast to see the earth's wonders.

I love those little 8x 20's they are truly mindblowers.

Funny you mention HD. I handed my Zeiss 10x42 to a freind next to me at a Met game and he had no idea about good binoculars and his first words were, "Wow now that's HD!"

But those little 8x20's, they're practicallly science fiction they're pulling so much image out of so little glass.

+1
I hate to put a slight dampener on things, but if you haven't already done so, get a cheap (£1?) UV pen. Then security mark the bin in invisible- (except to a UV-scanner) ink with your phone number - probably better than writing your postcode, a potential thief might have a UV scanner and decide to burgle you for more of the same. Apologies for introducing a less than pleasant note.

Last edited:
Thanks to you all for your kind and enthusiastic responses. Really made me smile reading each of your messages. That's definitely half the fun - sharing these experiences with others who 'know where you're coming from'.
Here's to many more moments of joy combining great optics and nature's feasts.
Thank you!
Hobbes

Congrats on the progress with your health, Hobbes2, and enjoy your binos! I recently came into a pair of Zeiss 8x20 too, and love them.

I love those little 8x 20's they are truly mindblowers.

But those little 8x20's, they're practicallly science fiction they're pulling so much image out of so little glass.

My thoughts exactly. I love my Zeiss Victory 8x20's. I have them in my pocket almost always........

Good post Hobbes.

In the same vein, I never really got why some have 27 different pair of mediocre binoculars. Give me just one pair of really good bins that I'll always have with me, thanks.

No, actually, you always need two pairs. Then you can also do optics reseach when there are no birds around. ;)

In the hope that I'll find people who can relate to the joy of birding with great optics, I thought I'd share my recent experience...

....I'm in the process of going through lengthy physical rehabilitation after 8+ years of being pretty incapacitated. This month marked the completion of 1 year of doing a weekly hydrotherapy regime which has been both hard going and rewarding. Anyways....

.....as a kind of mark of the achievement, I'd saved up and finally treated myself to a superb pair of compact binoculars, the Ziess Victory 8x20. And, I'm so pleased I did. I'd never before appreciated how thoroughly enjoyable really good optics are. They are a pleasure to use. Some people say it's like looking at HD TV when you look through them, and I can see where they are coming from. The view is crisp, contrasty, bright and substantial/3D.

I'm also extremely pleased I decided to invest in a binocular that I can put in my coat pocket. They're always with me whenever I'm out on a walk however short that is. I live in a socially deprived area and walking about with a pair of binoculars round your neck is likely to get you into trouble so having a pair that I can safely stick in my pocket is spot on. Over the past few weeks I have seen some glorious sights which, had I not had my compacts, would have otherwise gone unwitnessed. In particular there was one morning I stepped out onto the footpath along some local fields and a small bird flew up from the earth to the bushes some way up along the path. I grabbed my binoculars, set them on the bird and discovered a beautiful Yellowhammer, shining in the sunlight, perched so that only I could see him. Then there was the late afternoon when I walked through some local woodland and up ahead spotted a red-breasted bird come to rest on some fencing. First thoughts were that it was a Robin but looking through binoculars, I was thrilled to find the most handsome male Bullfinch feeding on blackberries. He was the first and only Bullfinch I've seen in those woods in 10 years of enjoying them!

Anyway, there we go. An 'hurrah' for great optics. They have enhanced my experience of observing birds and nature and have already given me some cherished memories. I'm chuffed to bits I bought them! Anyone else really thrilled with their purchases...?

Hobbes

Great binoculars dont make great birds,...but they dont half help :-O

In the hope that I'll find people who can relate to the joy of birding with great optics, I thought I'd share my recent experience.............. An 'hurrah' for great optics. They have enhanced my experience of observing birds and nature and have already given me some cherished memories. I'm chuffed to bits I bought them! Anyone else really thrilled with their purchases...?

Hobbes

Something else occurs to me, Hobbes...apart from the perspective you´ve given in sharing your experiences and positive attitude to the fairly gruelling regime you´ve had for the last 8 years, you´ve helped dispel my personal stupid guilt-trip at over-indulging in great optics over the years. Currently I´m trying to thin out my optics cupboard, my aim is to get it down to 2 pairs of compacts, one standard 8x bino, and a 15x "super-mag" (plus of course a big scope and a travelscope....;)). But hell, life is short! So anyway, as regards your question "anyone else thrilled", yes, my new Swarovision 8.5x42 really knock my socks off, and I´ve traded (with a gentelman BF member) a pair of Nikon EII 10x35 for....a Minox 15x58! Can´t wait to get that, and will report on the Minox thread.

Hobbes

I love my little Zeiss 8x20's and my Nikon 10x25's. It's just so nice to be able to carry a binocular in your pocket. You know they really don't give up much to their bigger brothers.

Hobbes, 1st, congrats on your perserverance and continuing recovery. Second, there is a satisfaction in using hi grade optics, especially if you've moved up from a so-so bino or scope. Steve Ingraham referred to this several yrs ago in BVD, when first testing, IIRC, the 10x42SE. After the raves, in conclusion, he said (in effect), ".....there is something truly addictive in seeing clearly. I want to see all the bird there is to see, and that's what the SE shows, all the bird there is to see...."

I think all of us here know exactly what he meant. As you acquire better gear, your tolerance for mediocrity wanes.....and you're always wantin' to try something else, even if you have great stuff already. Tero's observation about impromptu comparisons also rings true.....face it, we're hooked....

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back