• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro 8x32EL or Zeiss FL 8x32? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Recently tried and compared both models above, kinda liked the optics of the Swaro more but the Zeiss has better close focus and wider field of view...however the diopter on the model I tried seemed to jam as soon as the focus wheel was flipped up, not exactly inspiring considering some comments on here about Zeiss's long winded customer service compared to Swarovski's?

Oh I just don't know?

Just aswell I can't afford either of them at present!!!

What would others go for?

Matt

Though choice!
I have a soft spot for Zeiss but I personally like their optics better, so easier for me.

I tried all three (Leica HD, Swaro EL and Zeiss FL) at a bird show, side by side, and I found that focusing and ergonomics were the main factors in making my choice. I did not really see major differences in the optical performance, unless I would put them on a tripod and look at a resolution chart maybe. I could see full field of view with glasses on, and close focus was best with Zeiss>Swaro>Leica.
Leica was slow and less ergonomic, Swaro focus was harder and 'dry' compared to the fluid, fast focus of the Zeiss, but the Swaro has excellent ergonomics.

The representative from Zeiss was very helpfull, but all representatives, from Leica and Swaro were as much. The Zeiss rep. assured me they are working very hard to improve customer satisfaction through better service. I brought my Zeiss with me, he inspected them and concluded I could need a new strap, new rubber eyecups (I had the old 'hard' version), and new lens caps, all for free! I was impressed. I showed him the rubber letting loose on one place were I put my thumbs, and he looked at it like it was the first example with loose rubber he ever saw. He said I should bring them back to the shop immediately, because this would be repaired for free as part of the warranty. I said I couldn't miss them, and he immediately proposed I could always ask for a spare Zeiss bin.

So from the the talk with the (Dutch) representative, my reservations I had about Zeiss and warranty totally vanished. I guess this kind of service is standard and to be expected with Swarovski, but it was nice to know that Zeiss was (trying) to do the same. He also aknowledged the service from Swaro is top notch, and they were using them as example how to do it right.
The other representatives were also very friendly, has to be said, but at Leica, they couldn't say much more than it would cost a lot to service the focus of my girlfriends Trinovid (which was a little dry), and they said it would take a long time to get the job done.

From the side-by-side comparison, I prefer the Victory FL, and Zeiss seems to be (finally) working hard to get the service right.
Swarovski has been improving fast on the optical quality, but the current EL without HD glass will be outdated if the Swarovision EL 8x32 comes out in 1-2 years. If you like the view better than the FL, I guess you won't see the difference with the Swarovision, either.
Leica seemed to me like a small handicraft/family factory compared to the 'professional' approach of Zeiss and Swaro. They make very good (not the best) binoculars, but they seem to be very slow and expensive with customer service. I don't see them survive as they will loose market share without good policy on customer satisfaction and without any innovation in their binoculars coming.

Recently tried and compared both models above, kinda liked the optics of the Swaro more but the Zeiss has better close focus and wider field of view...however the diopter on the model I tried seemed to jam as soon as the focus wheel was flipped up, not exactly inspiring considering some comments on here about Zeiss's long winded customer service compared to Swarovski's?

Oh I just don't know?

Matt

You don't see CA so go with whatever one you can get the best price on. Try looking at a black object on a sunny day with both of them and see if you see a purple fring around the object through the Swarovski's. That's CA and that's one reason they came out with the new Swarovsion's. I personally would not pay an alpha price for a non ED binocular like the Swarovski but if you like the view better go with what you like.

Oh I just don't know?

Matt

Hi Matt, how are you.........haven't 'spoken' with you in ages.

The Zeiss FL 8x32 are my dream bins.......everything about them is perfect, except the price so I went for Nikon HGL 8x32. They are over £300 less and to me are optically just as good, not quite as ergonomic in my small hands though and they weigh a little more but I'm still very pleased with them.

Hi Matt, how are you.........haven't 'spoken' with you in ages.

The Zeiss FL 8x32 are my dream bins.......everything about them is perfect, except the price so I went for Nikon HGL 8x32. They are over £300 less and to me are optically just as good, not quite as ergonomic in my small hands though and they weigh a little more but I'm still very pleased with them.

They can be picked for about $500.00(US) too. But again they have alot of CA but he doesn't see it so it shouldn't be a problem and the Nikon's have a wonderful smooth focus.

I did alot of testing before I bought my FL 8x32. I owned 4-5 bins previous to the FL but all of them had issues that I could not live with. Ergonomics or optical issues. I tested the FL, EL, Kowa Genesis etc. against each other. All had strong points but the FL had, for me, the best ergonomics, the most natural view without any yellow or blue colour cast and amazing centre sharpness. Also since I am a focus wheel perfectionist the FL was the best, and it does not get stiff during cold weather, and for me that is a very important feature.

Oh I just don't know?

Matt

Hi Matt,

This is easy... Meopta meostar 8x32. Many here have compared to EL 32's and took these based on view. Also, price is about half if it matters.

Cheers

My decision was made for me when Cameraland sold me a pair of 8x32FL demos that looked brand spanking new for $769. You have to be nuts to turn that one down.

I'd get whichever one you can find cheaper since I can't tell the difference between my el's and my friends fl's. As far as ergos go, I got used to both after a couple minutes. I would also consider the nikons, if my bins bite it that will be my replacement. I must confess though, that I do have a soft spot for Nikon that has been formed from previous positive experiences with their optics!

Cheers,

Russ

I preferred the Swaro over the FL's. To me the Swaro was just as sharp and had a more relaxed, wider view.
At $769 for the 8x32's it would have been tough......

I sold my 8x32 and 8.5x42 EL's when I bought the ProMaster ELX ED.

Dave

I preferred the Swaro over the FL's. To me the Swaro was just as sharp and had a more relaxed, wider view.
At $769 for the 8x32's it would have been tough......

I sold my 8x32 and 8.5x42 EL's when I bought the ProMaster ELX ED.

Dave

DHB and Russ you don't see CA if you prefer the older model Swarovski EL. People that are bothered by CA be forewarned the Swarovskis' have more than the FL's. Curious why you bought the ProMaster ELX ED binocular when CA doesn't bother you.

I gave the PM a good comparison against the Swaro and at low light, daylight and any other time I could not see a difference in brightness, contrast or color. They are that good.

CameralandNY has ProMaster.

Dave

what do you expect comparing a promaster with ED glass and a Swaro EL without? Compare the promaster with a DECENT binocular and we'll see who wins :king:
(but the difference will indeed be small!) ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back