• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

9x63, 8x21 (1 Viewer)

CharleyBird

England
I was helping my wife with her shopping, entertaining the kids, being frugal. Then an hour from closing we came across...the unexpected binocular stall at the Ideal Home Exhibition.

Resistance crumbled, wife got bored and went off to collect previous purchases, leaving me to the exhibition deals.

Wife got a pair of these
http://www.binocs.co.uk/catalog/dcf-pocket-compact-binocular-p-146.html
Youngest daughter got a pair of these
http://www.binocs.co.uk/catalog/farsighted-fdc-model-dcf-pocket-compact-binocular-p-145.html

And then (shoot me now) the whopping, bargain priced, discontinued Inpro 9x63
http://www.binocs.co.uk/catalog/inpro-nightfall-low-light-binocular-p-344.html
Anyone else got 9x63's? Use them for astronomy or owl birding at night?

All three for 170 pounds.
Tried a few others out, quite liked the PR DCF 8/10x42 and 12x50.

You made out, actually the whole family made out, pretty darn good. You will have to let us know how those 9x63 are in low light performance. They look very interesting.

Charley,
I was about to laugh at the 9x63's description, "super prisms", when it hit me. The long barrels, straight on the inside and bulging out on the outside, are just like the 42mm and up Zeiss FLs, which have rather unusual Abbe-Koenig prisms, dictating that shape. All the reflections being total internal, not requiring any kind of coating whatever, would make this a bright binocular for the price.

Does anybody else think this is likely? Even if I am wrong, hey at least you have "super prisms" which ought to be good enough for anybody, or super man, at least.
Ron

Thinking about it, suppose they cost me about 130 if you take the pocket pairs off the total.

They reminded me of a dialyt 8x56 in shape/size.
They produce little shake for me, though admittedly the weight would prohibit prolonged viewing and for carrying they'd have to be slung like a satchel rather than a binocular. The strap they come with is an inadequate inch wide ballistic nylon, but their soft case is OK.
The ocular caps are individual and experience tells me I will lose one or both eventually, but the large caps are nicely attached to the body

One thing I noticed immediately, I suppose my eyes are relatively close together as they can only just fit my sockets - maybe an eight of an inch or so to spare, so when the large caps are put on I have to open them out...
The centre focus seems heavy/slow but solid (room for two fingers), yet focus seems quick at the same time. I estimate close focus at under 20 feet and they weigh 1460g.

Optically I was happy with them inside Olympia yesterday, bright, comfortable and clear; when the rain stops I'll give them a test run against my Steiners, and see how the do tonight. They feel easy to use, presumably the 7mm exit helps, but don't fit my sockets as nicely.

Interestingly, I found shake on the 8x21 (and 10x25 which we tried) really annoying and the ocular fit to my eye sockets uncomfortable. Maybe you get used to the type?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back