• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars for all? (1 Viewer)

birdazzLED

What's the deal with this place? One would think comments from "Adam Smith", "Joe Smith", "Samantha Jacobs" would read like perfect English but it seems like it's all "Babblefish-gibberish" translation.

I think the Smith boys are non english speakers relying too much on the translate function of Google.

Either that or stay away from Barska Lucid view binoculars if that is what happens to your lucidity after a session with one.

But you are right that is...well sort of wierd ;).

What's the deal with this place?
I'm guessing you watch a lot of Seinfeld. :)

One would think comments from "Adam Smith", "Joe Smith", "Samantha Jacobs" would read like perfect English but it seems like it's all "Babblefish-gibberish" translation.

From what I understand, since China embraced capitalism, "Adam Smith" has become a very popular baby name.

You get even more gibberish if you copy those comments into Babelfish and translate them back into Mandarin:

Here are some excerpts:

"Darmok, and Jalad... at Tanagra!"

"Dathon and Picard... at El-Adrel!"

"Shaka, when the walls fell."

Last edited:
Fresh from his "The Wealth of Nations", Adam Smith penned "It is the sky, with different face shapes". More allegorical, don't you think? (It's a lingo, Jim, but not as we know it).

Faniscating. If u cilck "Buy it now" for any porduct it will tronasprt you to an eaBy auicton. Relaly it will!

They forgot one of the Smith Brothers,

Bubba Smith,

Whatchyer chineese binoculers doin layin round ma trailer house? Ain't cha heerd bout madein germony? Ha nowes them der chineese binos hain't made neeer as gud as dem der germony ones dat pawpaw brot home frum da big WWII. Take dem chineesey things outta dis hous rite away, cha heer me?

Git-r-done.........

Faniscating. If u cilck "Buy it now" for any porduct it will tronasprt you to an eaBy auicton. Relaly it will!

What's really scary is that I correctly read your post until I got to the, um, word "tronasprt." That is, I unconsciously re-translated "Faniscating," "cilck," and "porduct" into the correct Englitch spellink without a second thought.

I was recently trained to become a volunteer literacy tutor, and one of the class exercises was to read jibberish. Maybe that's what kicked in for me.

Howard

What's really scary is that I correctly read your post until I got to the, um, word "tronasprt." That is, I unconsciously re-translated "Faniscating," "cilck," and "porduct" into the correct Englitch spellink without a second thought.

I was recently trained to become a volunteer literacy tutor, and one of the class exercises was to read jibberish. Maybe that's what kicked in for me.

Howard

I read somewhere that our brains are able to read correctly as long as the first and last letters are correct order.

Here:

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
source: http://joi.ito.com/weblog/2003/09/14/ordering-of-let.html

Here's Birdforum's message through the Gibberish generator:

You are most welcome to BirdForum, post welcome to wild birding, and birds and birding community, dedicated to BirdForum, post you to wild birding, and absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to take part in the for an account, which allows you to take part in lively FREE! You are most your pictures in the forum, post you to take part in the net's largest birding community, dedicated to take part in the net's largest birding community, dedicated to take part in the forum, post you to register forum, po

Here:

Quote:
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

source: http://joi.ito.com/weblog/2003/09/14...ng-of-let.html

Since the srtoke, that's how I write untill I run spell check several times and read it over several times:-O:-O:-O

Howard

Hi Howard,

When reading the strange binocular website I was reminded of this curious information encoding mechanism we humans have.

What is the objective of a class exercise reading jibberish?

Regards,
Ed

It's down.

It's probably a "mechanically made" (grabbing text from bits of the web and gluing them together) link farm to game the search engines for high placement.

This sort of thing is the current bane of the search engine system.

It's down.

It's probably a "mechanically made" (grabbing text from bits of the web and gluing them together) link farm to game the search engines for high placement.

This sort of thing is the current bane of the search engine system.

+1

I also think those are "optimized" for search engine to read so whatever links they provide will get higher ranks.

They need to look like relevant human text but as you can see we get (or don't get) the meaning of the text but the search engines never do.

They're pretty much always promoting something dubious ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back