• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Points Game Version 3.0-British Garden Birds!!! (1 Viewer)

devilbirder

Hello everyone,
If you can't be bothered reading all this readthe summary at the bottom! ;)
Seeing the success of my two bird points games and birderbf's ABA version I have decided to create a version that even backyard birdwatchers can take part in. It is simpler and easier to count up your scores with scores being from one to ten instead of 10 to 100. I hope this game will be popular.

The points are based on how rare the 70 most common British garden birds are as a whole in British gardens. For example, 1 points means a bird which, generally is very common in British gardens, eg a Woodpigeon and 10 would be a bird that is virtually never seen in an average British garden, eg a Lesser-spotted Woodpecker.

OK, so now you know how the points work, you need to know how to count them. Next to every bird there is a number between 1 and ten. For every bird that you have seen in your garden, add the points next to them to your score.

The aim of this game is to see the value of your garden bird-wise. I could post it all in one installment but then it wouldn't be so fun and competitive etc so there will be seven installments of ten.

YOU CAN COUNT FLYOVERS AND IF HAVE SEEN ANY ADDITIONAL SPECIES, YOU WILL GET 10 POINTS BUT TELL ME FIRST.
EUROPEANS CAN PLAY IN CATEGORY B (BRITISH CATEGORY A) BUT SORRY I DON'T THINK IT WILL WORK FOR AMERICANS.

Here is the key:

1 Very Common
2 Common
3 Quite Common
4 Regular
5 Occasional Visitor
6 Rare but does visit fairly regularly
7 Seen in an average garden very rarely
8 Seen in an average garden only a few times ever
9 Seen in an average garden only two or three times ever
10 Seen only once over or never in an average garden

Any questions ask me. (summary- for every bird you have seen in your garden add up the points next to them to give you the total of that installment, wait till the next installment to add more birds to your total. Points are for how rare the 70 commonest garden birds are as a whole in Britain)

Last edited:
Here is the first section
Grey Heron 6
Mallard 9
Sparrowhawk 5
Buzzard 10
Kestrel 7
Red-legged Partridge 10
Pheasant 8
Moorhen 8
Black-headed Gull 4
Common Gull 6
My score for that section is 28.

Last edited:
Thankyou,
Here are the current scores 9full stop means score is up to date), hopefully more people will join in:
GOLD Teamsaint with 47
Silver The Devil Bird 33
Bronze On-firecrest with 32
4th Claire78 18

Come on everyone we need more players, feel free to join in!

Last edited:
Here is the second round for garden birds.
Stock Dove 7
Woodpigeon 1
Collared Dove 2
Feral Pigeon 2
Turtle Dove 10
Cuckoo 10
Barn Owl 10
Little Owl 10
Tawny Owl 6
Kingfisher 10
That was a hard round giving me just 5 points.

Well done Tom, an extra ten points for you.
GOLD Teamsaint with 68
Silver On-firecrest with 41.
Bronze The Devil Bird 33 .
4th Claire78 29 .

Last edited:
Score updated, see post 10.

Come on everyone we need more players!!! Not many garden fans use the Quizzes section I suppose.
Please feel free to join in.

Last edited:
I would post the next round right now but I cannot find my precious book of bird points that I made. When I find it, hopefully soon I will post the next part.

Ok, I found my book, here it is, part 3
Green Woodpecker 7
Great-spotted Woodpecker 3
Lesser-spotted Woodpecker 10
Swift 1
Swallow 7
House Martin 6
Grey Wagtail 9
Pied Wagtail 6
Waxwing 9
Wren 2
My score for this one is 32. I know what my final score will be, I worked it out!
GOLD Teamsaint with 68
Silver The Devil Bird 65
Bronze On-firecrest with 41
4th Claire78 29

Last edited:
Sorry for butting in but I've juuust come acroos this now.

First round I got 15 points
Second, 12 points
Third I got 31

That brings me up to a grand total of 58 points, if that's ok?

Thank you guys for joining in we are a bit short of players for this one.
GOLD Jane Turner 157
Silver Teamsaint 68
Bronze The Devil Bird 65
4th Mabel 58
5th On-firecrest with 41
6th Claire78 29
Jane if you tell me the species you have had that are not on there you can have 10 points for each of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back