Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 10th April 2012, 14:39   #1
nhoj

Post Looking To Put A New Tree In to draw birds

I would like to know what would be the top rated tree to put in your backyard to have birds come?

I live in Northwest Ohio near Toledo.

I would like this tree to give shade, but a light shade. A tree that would get 30 to 40 foot tall. This tree would be near my patio.

I would like to see Ceder Waxwings and wrens along with other birds in my backyard.

Do you have any ideals?
Old Sunday 22nd April 2012, 17:04   #2
C_Villwock
Modern Adventurer

Great question! I am also looking for a tree that almost exactly matches your request! I will grab some popcorn and watch this thread for any suggestions.

I live in Northeastern Ohio and would also like a tree that grows fast, lol.
Old Sunday 22nd April 2012, 20:53   #3
Bird_Bill

Little bit west of there. One suggestion might be serviceberry tree. Native to most of eastern north america. Goes by other names like juneberry, and shadbush too. Robust and low maintenence. Flowers early, reminisent of white dogwood. Produces tasty berries that drives variety of birds to distraction. Had some growing wild on family farm, cedar waxwings were crazy for them. Looks nice in fall as colors change.

Downside might be multi-trunk, they grow and cover low. Could deprive grass directly below required sunlight.
Probably only work needed might be pruning periodically for above situation.

BF Supporter 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 5th May 2012, 15:49   #4
Marys1000

We used to have some sort of wild cherry tree that Robins liked. I can't remember the details. I was a young self-involved teenager at the time. It did have a large pit and made a bit of a mess of the yard. However it got very tall and if I remember right it didn't limb out too low.

Not sure your going to come up with anything that tall and berries which is what Waxwings would like. Wrens like bushy stuff.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: