• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Powershot G9X - my super-battery pack (1 Viewer)

Forcreeks

If you want to see something new in nature!
United States
All, I'm one of the old and old-fashioned compact camera digiscopers, still placed 4th in last year's Swarovski DOY contest in Portraits with Canon S-100, but am afraid it's dying. The choice seemed to be get a backup one cheap on eBay (could get a lemon), or try for upgrade to G9X with its 1" sensor and upgrade from 12MP's to 20MP's. I went for it. Did enough test scoping in Best Buy's 15 day return period to decided to keep it; even if only as backup. I don't yet believe it's as sharp optically as my S-100 but the features are sure greatly advanced. Anyway it has a rubber plug for an AC adapter, and I took advantage of that to make my own "super-battery," maybe commonly called a battery pack (having never owned one)?? Maybe camera review at future date, but you can see the battery pack and how its on the scope in my new thread in the Accessories Forum. This may help someone else who'd like to do it, down the line. Purchase links and details there. Guess I might as well attach the same gear photo here. Best to all of you. Steve B.
p.s. if I ever need to jump a motor scooter battery out on a shoot, I'll be ready!

Attachments

• Canon G9X with Arteck power IMG_0456.jpg
    Canon G9X with Arteck power IMG_0456.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 582
I have a photo now to show the GX9's performance. Mounted to Kowa TSN-824 on Kowa DA-1 adapter, with my Arteck 8000mAh battery.

Anna's Hummingbird shot at 1/500 sec. at ISO-125 (the lowest ISO), and Kowa 21X-wide EP. Camera was zoomed several clicks to fill frame. The shot is reduced to 50% of original size which was 5472 x 3648 pixels; and is sharpened one standard time, Photoshop. Looks good enough at full size for a poster-print.

For those not familiar with the GX9, it has mostly touch-screen control including all shot settings, erase, and screen-touch shutter release. Good fast burst rate. Comes with Wi-fi and is phone app compatible; is smaller and lighter than other 1" CMOS compacts.. about the same as my Powershot S-100.

Attachments

• Anna's Hummingbird 10-12-16 IMG_9895-BFnet.jpg
    Anna's Hummingbird 10-12-16 IMG_9895-BFnet.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 440
G9X photo, newer

Been loving my super battery pack made from lightweight cycle and boat jumpstarter / electronics charger. Working great, have not had to recharge it yet after abt. 2 weeks, but the weather's been pretty bad. Anyway, here's a recent shot with my Kowa TSN-824 and 32X e.p. and the G9X. I'm liking the possibilities of having 20 MP's instead of the 12 I had with my S100, as you can crop close for lots of detail.. you've got the resolution even if the lens is no better. I'm finding there's detail in there worth blowing up.

Attachments

• Anna's Hummingbird 10-21-16 IMG_0099web.jpg
    Anna's Hummingbird 10-21-16 IMG_0099web.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 392
Been loving my super battery pack made from lightweight cycle and boat jumpstarter / electronics charger. Working great, have not had to recharge it yet after abt. 2 weeks, but the weather's been pretty bad. Anyway, here's a recent shot with my Kowa TSN-824 and 32X e.p. and the G9X. I'm liking the possibilities of having 20 MP's instead of the 12 I had with my S100, as you can crop close for lots of detail.. you've got the resolution even if the lens is no better. I'm finding there's detail in there worth blowing up.

Looks like a good choice for digiscoping. How much is the unvignetted range of the lens?
Love the battery pack solution.
Neil.

Good question Neil. I checked it out with my two eyepieces, 21x wide and 32x.
The G9X zoom range is 10.2 to 30.6mm.
There are nine pulls of it's zoom lever to reach the 30.6mm.
Both eyepieces require only two pulls to eliminate vignette.
I was surprised how good it was but had good hopes from the start knowing this is that rare 3X zoom camera. For a complete answer I hope to find in the digital user guide what each of nine steps amounts to, and maybe the 35mm camera equivalents. Paper manuals seem to be rare or extinct these days.
I've read reviews of this camera that say there is unacceptable shake in video record-mode. So beware buyers who'd need the video.

Good assembly Forcreeks!
I just lost my Sony RX100MII (terrible blow ...) and I'm thinking of acquiring another compact camera. I remember the quality of Canon S100 and therefore I wonder if this G9x or even the G7x are candidates for use in digiscoping. I have a Kowa 884 with the eyepiece 25-60, 25LER and 30x.

Do you have experience with the G7X for digiscoping ??
Thanks a lot

Sorry, bo experience with G7x, but I dis look at the specs.
It’s bulky by comparison. and with a 265 shot battery, you’d want to rig a big battery with USB output like I did. See if it accommodates an a/c adapter with cord running out sideways above the bottom plate.
I’ve gotten away ftom the heavy Artek to some power banks Costco sells and I mount right to tripod head.
I now use Kowa 884 also.. my old armor turned sticky.
Best bet is always take your scope and tripod to camera store and check for mounting distance from eyepiece and how much zoom to eliminate vignette.
Good luck!

Sorry, bo experience with G7x, but I dis look at the specs.
It’s bulky by comparison. and with a 265 shot battery, you’d want to rig a big battery with USB output like I did. See if it accommodates an a/c adapter with cord running out sideways above the bottom plate.
I’ve gotten away ftom the heavy Artek to some power banks Costco sells and I mount right to tripod head.
I now use Kowa 884 also.. my old armor turned sticky.
Best bet is always take your scope and tripod to camera store and check for mounting distance from eyepiece and how much zoom to eliminate vignette.
Good luck!

Thanks. I'm thinking make this

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back