• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trittiford mill pond and the dingles bird sightings (1 Viewer)

Had two patch ticks today in the form of a spotted flycatcher in The Dingles (couldn't relocate it on return walk but it was about 100 metres downstream of Trittiford keeping the river on your left) and a handsome adult yellow-legged gull at Trittiford standing on a rock with around 80 BH Gulls and a couple of LBBs. Other sightings included a buzzard, great crested grebe, little egret, grey heron (3), greylag goose (3), a couple of swifts were still around but didn't see any hirundines, some large mixed tit flocks, mostly LT and blue, nuthatch (3 poss 4), jay and a kingfisher (just upstream of the Stratford Road Bridge) Great! (as zomerset might say)

Hi Throstle good you found a KF that far along! I checked the Dingles mid day and the Kingfisher was on the Chinn Brook. It made the twin call a few times. Also a Heron and Little Egrets. Even better was very small fish, tiddlers by the footbridge over the brook. Great!

Later start than anticipated for the Saturday all-dayer - well 3 hours - forgot I was going to the Moseley Folk Festival on the Friday so slightly hungover on Sat morning.

Anyways I got 31 species; as follows;

great crested grebe
little egret
grey heron
mute swan
canada goose
mallard
moorhen
coot
black headed gull
herring gull
lesser black backed gull
yellow-legged gull
feral pigeon
stock dove
woodpigeon
great spotted woodpecker
wren
dunnock
robin
blackbird
chiffchaff
willow warbler
long tailed tit
blue tit
great tit
nuthatch
jay
magpie
crow
starling
house sparrow
greenfinch

notable absentees were kingfisher, blackcap, greylag goose, any wagtails, thrushes (apart from blackbird) finches (apart from greenfinch), hirundines and raptors.
But the yellow-legged gull was a bonus.

Hi all

Took a walk to Trittiford Mill and back this morning, highlights were;

Pair of buzzards using the thermals above the Dingles on the way there
Great crested grebe surfaced under juvenile gull, caused quite a fuss
Flying cormorant
Little egret flew over my head on the way back through the Dingles
Male bullfinch with excellent plumage

Really great walk!

Hi all

Took a walk to Trittiford Mill and back this morning, highlights were;

Pair of buzzards using the thermals above the Dingles on the way there

I wonder if they were the same Buzzards we could see over to the east from Kings Norton Park around 12.30.

Could be - it was about 10.30am when I saw them. We also get some over the allotment in Kings Heath :)

I got my 92nd patch tick today and a quite unexpected one - great white egret! Walking upstream through Scribers Lane patch when a grey heron and the GWE both flew up from the river (on a stretch where the bank is too overgrown to actually see the river from the path). they flew alongside each other and both landed in the same tree just upstream of the top (disused) ford. The heron didn't hang about but the egret stayed for a couple of minutes before dropping back down into the river - there are plenty of fish in that stretch - gudgeon, roach, perch, chub and trout so it could feed well and be mostly out of sight. It might be worth having a look for it at the little egret roost just down the road from there...I might have a look tonight.
Also at Scribers had great views of a kingfisher catching minnows( by where the kids have put a swing over the river), 3 little egret sitting in a bush with another grey heron. Elsewhere 2 nuthatch (Trittiford and Sarehole), cormorant, 10 tufties( but no pochard) at Trittiford, coal tit Sarehole. Sadly missing out on the hawfinch fest but the GWE has got me walking on air for the rest of today.

I got my 92nd patch tick today and a quite unexpected one - great white egret! Walking upstream through Scribers Lane patch when a grey heron and the GWE both flew up from the river (on a stretch where the bank is too overgrown to actually see the river from the path). they flew alongside each other and both landed in the same tree just upstream of the top (disused) ford. The heron didn't hang about but the egret stayed for a couple of minutes before dropping back down into the river - there are plenty of fish in that stretch - gudgeon, roach, perch, chub and trout so it could feed well and be mostly out of sight. It might be worth having a look for it at the little egret roost just down the road from there...I might have a look tonight.
Also at Scribers had great views of a kingfisher catching minnows( by where the kids have put a swing over the river), 3 little egret sitting in a bush with another grey heron. Elsewhere 2 nuthatch (Trittiford and Sarehole), cormorant, 10 tufties( but no pochard) at Trittiford, coal tit Sarehole. Sadly missing out on the hawfinch fest but the GWE has got me walking on air for the rest of today.
Wow GWE! Great! Nice one!

Thanks Zomerset, sadly couldn't get to the little egret roost tonight but will try over the next few nights. GWE wasn't really on my hit list so really buzzing to see it. Just think, reports of GWE and little egret 25 years ago would have the place swarming with twitchers, how times change.

The probable hybrid Caspian/Yellow Legged Gull from last winter is back at Swanshurst Pool as a 2W bird.

Des.

Thanks Zomerset, sadly couldn't get to the little egret roost tonight but will try over the next few nights. GWE wasn't really on my hit list so really buzzing to see it. Just think, reports of GWE and little egret 25 years ago would have the place swarming with twitchers, how times change.

Hi Throstle, I saw the Great White Egret, it was in a hidden, overgrown part of the River Cole by Scribers Lane! It was big! Lol! Flew up to a tree, so I got to see it's wingspan! It was great! Lol. Really impressive! Great spot!

Oh that's brilliant Zomerset, so glad you connected. I went to Scribers this morning but didn't see it - so much of the river bank there is overgrown and the river hidden from view. Didn't get Kingfisher either today but had sparrowhawk, 2 buzzards, 6 or 7 goldcrests with a mixed tit flock, 1 little egret, 2 cormorants at Trittiford, nuthatch, GS woodie.

Apparently there has been a Hawfinch in a Moseley back garden. Better keep my eyes open. Ears might not be of any use though!

Des.

Great White Egret further along River Cole. An observer saw at Highfield Road bridge which is north of Scribers Lane and I saw it in flight going further north in Hall Green.

Des.

Glad you saw it Des, A small party of us watched the little egrets come in tonight on the off chance the GWE might join them; it was a good theory but sadly it didn't happen. Anyway 18 little egrets in the roost which is a pretty good number for an urban site, also had shoveler at Trittiford which is a long overdue patch tick for me, 93 now. I'm looking for teal, wigeon, sand martin, peregrine, red kite, common sand and tawny owl (all of which have been reliably recorded) to get me over the 100 mark.

Walk this morning

Hi All

Lovely walk to the pond and back today - with the exception of being hailed on! Highlights were:

Nuthatch in the trees by the main entrance to the Mill pond
Flock of mixed finches, I think gold and green (pic below)
Little egret in flight over the bus stops by the Dingles entrance
Great spotted woodpecker on the way back
Heard a kingfisher but no sighting.
And a finch which turned out to be female bull not Haw :-O
Great walk :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 34
After last week I thought I'd check if there was a Kingfisher again on Trittiford. There wasn't this time.
So I went and had a look at the River Cole and then headed to Scribers Lane.
Much to my surprise I saw a Kingfisher fly down the back in flow channel to Trittiford that's full of aquatic plants.
I never expected to see a Kingfisher there though there must be fish as a couple Heron were present.
I didn't see the GWE but as I was walking back what was on the in flow channel again, yes a Kingfisher.
Even more of a surprise it flew to a tree in front of me and didn't seem too bothered by me.
Great!

Male Shoveler still present yesterday afternoon.

2 Siskins flew over calling in flight and good numbers of Redwings around too.

A quick scan of the Gulls but nothing out of the ordinary unfortunately.

Male Shoveler still present yesterday afternoon.

Yes Phil, the Shoveler is still there today. Nice to see.
The Kingfisher was on Trittiford Mill pool again, that's the third week running, same day Friday and the same time. It flew off calling and as I walked back it was back, it stopped right next to me. Great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back