• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

in need of Birding community help (1 Viewer)

Kp83

First I’d like to say thank you. I’ve read this forum for a long time and relied upon the birding communities wisdom to choose optics. It is fairly obvious that you all are a very educated bunch and the standard for optics doesn’t get higher than birding.

I am looking for a good 8x32, or 8x30, or 8x28 (midsize) bino that i can use while viewing deer in timber (sightlines are typically 100yrds or less) that will give me good light gathering at dusk. I can’t afford swaro, Leica, or Zeiss. I’m really trying to stay $500 or under. My current hunting binos are vortex viper HD 8x42.... great binos, but I’m really wanting smaller profile glass that i can also go turkey spotting with, but will give me good light gathering at dusk to spot deer. I have a pair of maven b3 10x30 and vortex viper 8x32 on loan to try out, but want to see if you kind folks have any other suggestions for me to look at.
Thank you in advance for the help.

Last edited:
I am looking for a good 8x32, or 8x30, or 8x28 (midsize) bino that i can use while hunting timber (sightlines are typically 100yrds or less) that will give me good light gathering at dusk.

Given your need for "light gathering at dusk", I really think you should just stick with the 8x42 you already have, as IMO it would be a better choice for your stated need compared to an 8x32.

Of course, just sticking with what you already have isn't very fun, so to answer your question -- the best 8x32 in your price range is IMO the Nikon 8x30 Monarch 7, which commonly runs around $399. It is bright, wide, and sharp in view, while being one of the smaller binos in it's class. You could also consider the much less expensive Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x32, but I certainly would not pick it over the M7 if your budget is available.

In between the two above in both price and performance is the Leupold Mojave 8x32 and it's clone sold by Cabela's. Or used to, anyway. I would still much prefer the M7 over this one too.

Consider adding the Opticron Traveller BGA ED 8X32 that came out last spring to your list.

It looks to be similar to the now discountinued Leupold Mojave BK3 and Cabiela's Guide 8X32, but with upgraded ED glass and coatings. I have the Guide and it does very well so I expect this also do at least as well. I did see one at a show a few months ago and liked what I saw, but it was only a brief look.

The strong points are the small size, light weight, ED glass and di-electric prism coatings, wide FOV of 429 ft and from a solid company.

http://www.opticronusa.com/Pages/traveller_bga_ed.html

Here is a thread on it .........

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=340808

Optics Planet currently has a $20 off discount code of RAD20D but they will most likely have a Black Friday Cyber Monday promotion which I guess will be anywhere between 10% to 15% off.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/opticron-traveller-bga-ed-8x32-black-8x32-30648.html

Another one that catches my interest is the GPO ED 8X32. It came out this summer. I have not seen it but have its big brother in the 8X42. The little GPO has a 410 FOV which is not bad for this class.

http://gpo-usa.com/products/experiences/hunting/3/passion-8x32ed?c=44

Here is a post on it .........

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=350227

Optics Planet currently has 10% off ..........

https://www.opticsplanet.com/german-precision-optics-passion-trade-ed-8x32-hunting-binocular.html

Note: If you get the VIGLINK web page, scroll part way down and look for the blue rectangle box, then click on the continue message to get to a seller web site.

Just thought I should point out that the Maven B3, Nikon M7, Opticron Traveller ED and Kite Lynx are essentially the same design. The Maven and Kite are made in Japan, the Nikon by the same company in China and the Opticron has a part of the manufacturing process in each country I believe. I've not seen the Maven but the view characteristics of the other three are very similar with the pricier 8x30 Kite having a small advantage to my eyes. However, both the Nikon and Kite have spurious reflections near the exit pupil which can cause glare problems as your pupils dilate in low light. The Opticron's design seems to have been tweaked a little as these reflections are now further away from the EP and should be less troublesome, but I haven't really put that to the test. The Opticron also claims 19mm eye relief as against the ~15mm of the others, which should be better for glasses, but I can't say I noticed the difference on the two occasions I've used them.

David

Last edited:
Hi,

first of all, welcome to BF!

Some ok options have been mentioned, but it has to be reiterated that no 8x30 pair will come close to your 8x42 at dusk. So if you will not use these in good light most of the time, keep your 8x42 and maybe invest in a better strap or harness.

Joachim

First I’d like to say thank you. I’ve read this forum for a long time and relied upon the birding communities wisdom to choose optics. It is fairly obvious that you all are a very educated bunch and the standard for optics doesn’t get higher than birding.

I am looking for a good 8x32, or 8x30, or 8x28 (midsize) bino that i can use while hunting timber (sightlines are typically 100yrds or less) that will give me good light gathering at dusk. I can’t afford swaro, Leica, or Zeiss. I’m really trying to stay $500 or under. My current hunting binos are vortex viper HD 8x42.... great binos, but I’m really wanting smaller profile glass that i can also go turkey hunting with, but will give me good light gathering at dusk to spot deer. I have a pair of maven b3 10x30 and vortex viper 8x32 on loan to try out, but want to see if you kind folks have any other suggestions for me to look at.
Thank you in advance for the help.

Hi!

The Vortex Viper HD 8X42 IS a nice binocular....you probably can't do a lot better if any for an 8X42 for the money....

So you are looking for a smaller profile glass....I can understand that.. ..I'd drop the idea of a 10X30 though.....I just don't think it will be bright enough for your uses. I also think an 8X30/32 WILL probably be bright enough for you to do most things you are wanting to do and in most low-light situations. If not, you still have the 8X42. I think it will be interesting for you to compare between the two..

Here's the ones I'd consider(no certain order):

1. Maven B.3 8X30 OR 6X30
I had the B.3 8X30 for a short time. For the money, I thought it was really a great binocular. I wear glasses and the eye-relief wasn't quite enough. Otherwise, I would have kept it. I feel pretty good about recommending it even in the short time I had it. Everyone that has the 30mm B.3 seems to really like it. You might even consider the 6X model for your uses....more FOV and a little more light....

2. Nikon Monarch 7 8X30.... I haven't used this one much...I saw a deal on it so I bought it. Really nice binocular as well. I wish I would have had the Maven 8X30 and the M7 8X30 at the same time. What time I have had with this binocular it comes across as a nice one for the money...(BTW...look on BF classified ;0 )

3. Vortex Viper HD 8X32.... I've had this binocular for quite a while. It's not flashy or a very "sexy" choice but quite honestly...it's a really good binocular for the money. I will say the one I have is the "Made in Japan" model which NOW they are made in China....so the Japan model is the one I'd feel comfortable recommending....

OTHERS....
Opticron BGA Classic 7X36....
gcole has one of these for sale on the BF classified. I don't know a thing about it personally but I'm betting it would be great for your needs. Gwen has never said anything but good about it. You might send gcole a PM with any questions... It's all I can do to not purchase it myself...

Vortex Viper HD 6X32....
Gilmore Girl has THIS one for sale on the BF classified. She's giving it away practically.

Sidenote:
Do you ever take a birding ID guide with you while hunting? IF not, I think you SHOULD! ;) I'd like to recommend Kenn Kaufman's "Field Guide to Birds of North America." It's cheap, small, and has about everything you need. Learn all the birds around you while you are out in the field. Impress your buds! :t:

Thank you for the reply’s so far guys.
I would agree with everyone’s sentiment that 42 is better for light gathering. I’ve looked at enough of the exact same model of binos at dusk to easily verify that. I have a great bino harness that makes weight a non issue for my purposes, and i certainly don’t plan on getting rid of my 42s, i just want more binos.... really it’s just the dimensions I’d like to shrink down. I know at the smaller size that I’m sacrifisimg light gathering and I’m ready to accept that trade off.... really just trying to find the best glass in that general size, with good light gathering, at under $500.
I will be able to get my hands on the M7s for sure this weekend... the others I’ll need to do some digging, but i plan to try and put my eyes in as many as possible. So again, thanks a million guys.

Last edited:
Chuck, I do like both the maven b3 and the viper in the smaller size - when playing with them both and my 8x42 last night it was (to my eyes) a win for the 8x42 viper, then the b3, then the 8x32 viper (b3 and small viper were pretty dang close tho). Maven also makes a 7x28 bino which looks interesting, but may prove too small...... a guy i know says it’s comparable to his terra ed 8x32.
That’s actually a great idea on the birding book. I see way more birds in the stand than anything else!

I’ve not ever seen opticron, but it’s been mentioned multiple times now, so i will need to track down a pair.

For smaller size, lighter weight, retain the 42 mm for light, and less than $400 plus a current 15% off holiday offer off deal, you won't beat the new Maven C1. If budget is a real factor, it will be hard to recommend the B1 over the C1. Note the C1/B1 comment applies to the 42 mm GPO Passion ED to Passion HD as well given the ED is a bit higher priced than the C1, and no holiday deal yet. It is smaller than the C1, heavier than the C1, built like a tank and a wider fov. Image quality goes to the C1.

However, for a real profile decrease I'd go the Maven B3 8x30. I have a Traveller BHD ED 8x 32 inbound for review so it may well,as Bruce mentioned, may be worth considering. Not many flies on the Monarch 7 or the Leupold Mojave either.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back