• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Informations wanted: Glory Katsuma binos (1 Viewer)

Elmer Fudd,
Some models (eg 7x50) look exactly similar to 6x42 porro's sold in the past to the Dutch military. At that time they were labelled Leica Ednar.
Gijs van Ginkel

Elmer Fudd,
Some models (eg 7x50) look exactly similar to 6x42 porro's sold in the past to the Dutch military. At that time they were labelled Leica Ednar.
Gijs van Ginkel

Yes, I've got three of them; a roof and two Porro's.
The story goes that the Dutch army wanted new bins to replace the Nedinsco (read: Zeiss) line and politics decided it had to be European made optics because of the shorter repair/supplie lines. Leica got the order, they contacted the OEM Katsuma who made them under the brand name EDNAR.
The roofs never made it (got the only demostration sample) and the Porro's earned the reputation to break down on the weak hinges.
I will put some pictures coming wednesday.

Jan

Katsuma made bins.
Several EDNAR's (ex army) are offered regulary on the Dutch Fleebay and go around €300,00.
The thousends Nedinsco's were bought by Army dumpstores and were sold for €10,00. Nowadays these go for 25 times higher in poor condition:eek!:

Jan

Attachments

• L1020405.jpg
    L1020405.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 236
  • L1020406.jpg
    L1020406.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 213
  • L1020407.jpg
    L1020407.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 212
  • L1020408.jpg
    L1020408.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 216
  • L1020409.jpg
    L1020409.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 271
Hi Jan,

So, the roof you have must be very rare?
Interesting about current selling, I have an EDNAR 6X30 IF military type, green rubber armour, it,s mint condition, binocular, rain guards, straps and case all unused boxed, but I did not pay much for it as I remember, around £40 I think. Optically I think its very good.

Ben

Attachments

• EDNAR-6X30 BIF.JPG
    EDNAR-6X30 BIF.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Hi Jan,

So, the roof you have must be very rare?
Interesting about current selling, I have an EDNAR 6X30 IF military type, green rubber armour, it,s mint condition, binocular, rain guards, straps and case all unused boxed, but I did not pay much for it as I remember, around £40 I think. Optically I think its very good.

Ben

Hi Ben,

According to the salesprice on your box, you got a bargain for that price.
I don't know the RRP of Katsuma bins, but they are indeed not bad.

I got the roof model via a medical guy who bought Leica microscopes for hospitals and "arranged" a Leica for himself. They gave him this one (we are talking now in the nineties) and he traded it for a Ultravid in 2016.

I knew that this bin was offered but had never seen one. AFAIK the Dutch army never ordered them. Donn't ask me why not.

Jan

Hi Jan,
I'm not sure I trust the sales sticker on the box fully, but yes, probably still a bargain. It is not far behind my Fuji 6x30 optically.

I'm surprised they didnt pursue the roof Ednar, it looks a well built binocular.

Ben

Well, don't know about the built quality but with a close focus of 10 meters and a poor edge sharpness from 60% of the center makes me wonder about the rest.
It's nice to have all the samples in the collection but to use this model in real life.......nehhh.

The Dutch Navy just ordered a serie 7x50 classics from Zeiss.
Talking about quality???
Now we're talking.

Jan

Hi Ben,

According to the salesprice on your box, you got a bargain for that price.
I don't know the RRP of Katsuma bins, but they are indeed not bad.

Jan

According to the Katsuma website the 6x30 IF rubber without reticle is 21,000 yen (160 euro) ex. tax

The 7x50 without rubber is only 170 euro

Attachments

• image18.jpg
    image18.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 144
  • image26.jpg
    image26.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 107
  • image9.jpg
    image9.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Katsuma made bins.
Several EDNAR's (ex army) are offered regulary on the Dutch Fleebay and go around €300,00.
The thousends Nedinsco's were bought by Army dumpstores and were sold for €10,00. Nowadays these go for 25 times higher in poor condition:eek!:

Jan

Sounds like Leica managed to swindle the Dutch Government !

Their Twitter account is an interesting read (use the translate function under each post).

In September they sold 300 military binos to Saudi Arabia.

https://twitter.com/katsuma_optical

Multi coated optics (green) single coated (blue)

Attachments

• DKiSxRmUIAIG5Xz.jpg large.jpg
    DKiSxRmUIAIG5Xz.jpg large.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 428
  • DPIQEWrVQAAnY4h.jpg large.jpg
    DPIQEWrVQAAnY4h.jpg large.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 159
According to the Katsuma website the 6x30 IF rubber without reticle is 21,000 yen (160 euro) ex. tax

The 7x50 without rubber is only 170 euro

Looks fair to me, considering buying direct from the source.
But with keeping a sales organisation in Europe, keeping a stocking wharehouse, a dealer network per country, handling guarantee issues etc. the price won't stay that way.

A bit like the Bushnell Legend M series, $161,00 in the US and 600,00 euro down here.

OEM's putting their prices on the internet will improve the demand for direct sales, but will they go into the "trouble" to sell single pieces.

Jan

Binoculars are small beer to the military, compared to say a Eurofighter or a tank.

One could buy a thousand binoculars for the cost of one high end military lens.

Ex WD auctions here can be interesting. Sometimes items are sold at about 1% the original cost.
But sometimes they have problems. Sometimes not.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back