• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to get to Bass rock? (1 Viewer)

medaacek

We plan a trip to Scotland for 3 weeks in June and Im looking for some great birding/photo spots in there. I was advised to visit Bass rock but as I searched on net Iv found there are only two companies offering landing at Bass rock but these are almost sold out and the price is also incredibly high (not mentioning these "workshops" are not exactly what I would like to be part of)! is there any "normal", cheap and affordable way how to get to Bass rock? I thought there would be some regular cruises to the Bass rock with a possibility of landing if the weather allows so but I have not found any of such a services on the internet.
Your advice will be more than appreciate!!

Some info about good Farne Island trips would also be great!

Thanks a lot in advance

Jiri

Doubt that this this will go to the Bass rock but strikes me as much better value than the North Berwick trips

RSPB Firth of Forth Seabird Cruises

The RSPB are delighted to be able to offer a great opportunity to cruise the inner islands of the Forth and experience close-up views of seabirds including gannets, fulmars, eiders, kittiwakes, terns and the ever-popular puffins ! There's always a good chance of seeing perergrine, manx shearwaters and the odd skua and we've seen roseate tern on a number of cruises in the past.Seals are usually spotted basking on the rocks, and there's even a chance that dolphins might be around. RSPB staff will be on hand to point out all of the wildlife, and you can even relax with a drink on board once you've had your fill of the stunning wildlife.

EARLY BOOKING IS ESSENTIAL

Dates of Cruises:
Sunday 17 May, Sunday 31 May, Wednesday 3 June, Sunday 14 June, Sunday 21 June, Wednesday 24 June, Wednesday 1 July, Sunday 5 July and Sunday 12 July

Time:
Sunday morning cruises depart at 9am.

Wednesday evening cruises depart at 6.30pm.

Duration of Cruises: 3 hours

Location: All cruises depart from the Hawes Pier, South Queensferry , Edinburgh EH30 9TB

Price: Adults £12, Children £6. Family Ticket (2 adults + 2 children) £30

For more information or to make a booking: please contact Angela Newton, Seabird Cruise Coordinator: Tel: 0131 311 6577 (office hours 9am - 5.15pm) or email: angela.newton@ rspb.org. uk

Website: http://www.rspb. org.uk/datewithn ature/sites/ firthofforth/ index.asp

Angela Newton
Seabird Cruise Coordinator
RSPB Scotland
Dunedin House
25 Ravelston Terrace
Edinburgh EH4 3TP

Tel: 0131 311 6577
Fax: 0131 311 6569
www.rspb.org. uk

There is a boat that runs from North Berwick harbour that goes on a cruise around Bass Rock. It does not land on the island but goes very close and you get excellent views of the seabird colonies.

Its a couple of years since I have been so don't have up to date information but I highly recommend it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back