• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 40D with Kowa 883 (1 Viewer)

John Hague

aka The Drunkbirder
Evening all,

Just starting to get going with my Canon 40D attached by a T2 mount to my Kowa 883. Can anyone advise me how to set the camera up? I have 'live view' on and remote release. I would normally shoot in Av mode.

I'm after what modes to use and suggested shutter speeds as the aperture shows 0.0. A few tests this evening and everything was black unless I shot into a bright sky then everything looked awful.

Best wishes

More info on how you connect the scope and camera would help fine tune the advise. Generally, set the camera in Manual Mode. Exposure can only be controlled by ISO and Shutter speed.

Set ISO800 to start. Set shutter speed to 1/800sec to start. If the pic is still black go slower, 1/400sec. Wash, rinse, repeat until you get correct exposure as seen in a histogram.

More info on how you connect the scope and camera would help fine tune the advise. Generally, set the camera in Manual Mode. Exposure can only be controlled by ISO and Shutter speed.

Set ISO800 to start. Set shutter speed to 1/800sec to start. If the pic is still black go slower, 1/400sec. Wash, rinse, repeat until you get correct exposure as seen in a histogram.

Sorry, I'm using a digiscoping sleeve and T2 mount similar to the one here http://www.srb-griturn.com/ekmps/shops/srbgriturn/resources/image/sleeve-6.jpg

Ok, well that clears that up. Did you try Manual mode?

As been mention before in this forum, your connection method offers the worst IQ among all digiscoping solutions. The best solution for a dslr is to use the Kowa PZ adapter in place of the eyepiece. Failing that, next best to use is a 28-70mm prime/zoom camera lens with either the 25x LER or VA3.

Ok, well that clears that up. Did you try Manual mode?

As been mention before in this forum, your connection method offers the worst IQ among all digiscoping solutions. The best solution for a dslr is to use the Kowa PZ adapter in place of the eyepiece. Failing that, next best to use is a 28-70mm prime/zoom camera lens with either the 25x LER or VA3.

Oh bugger!

I have a 40D and I also have the Kowa 883. I do a lot of videoing but would like to do more stills for displays on the reserve. Would it be worth getting the PZ adapter or buying a digital camera and mount for the equivalent price? Is it easy/quick to transfer the PZ and camera onto the scope if using for biridng as well as photography? Is the IQ better on one or the other? Are these mounts the same as lenses where the prime generally has better IQ than the zoom?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back