• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Fieldfares - solo V flock? (1 Viewer)

HippyChippy

Supporter
Hi Folks,
and thanks for reading my 1st post on BF.

For the past three winters a neighbour's apple tree has been occupied by a Fieldfare that seems quite happy on its own, though occasionally it disappears for a day or two before returning.

I mentioned this to a work colleague who said he also has a 'solo' Fieldfare in his apple tree over winter, so I'm wondering if this 'lone bird' behaviour is more common than I'd thought?

Although Fieldfares are quite partial to windfall apples I've always thought of them as flocking birds, so I'm wondering if other forum members have a 'resident' solo Fieldfare over the winter months?

Could it be a case of guaranteed food supply V hanging out with the flock?

Regards, HippyChippy.

Welcome to Birdforum!

I've seen similar lone Fieldfares like this on occasion too, and suspect protecting a food source is a large part of it. Another possibility is that some Fieldfares are more tolerant of people than others - most of the birds in a flock might not be willing to hang around in a garden close to people, but odd ones will.

Welcome to Birdforum!

I've seen similar lone Fieldfares like this on occasion too, and suspect protecting a food source is a large part of it. Another possibility is that some Fieldfares are more tolerant of people than others - most of the birds in a flock might not be willing to hang around in a garden close to people, but odd ones will.

Fielfares can be pretty aggressive when it comes to defending a food source or their nest. We had a nest, visible from out balcony this year in Russia and if a Woodpecker came to the feeder which is within 20m, they would suffer a relentless, pretty violent assault by both birds.

Blackbirds will often occupy a bush as a group but even then, birds will be squabbling amongst themselves and chasing each other around the bush.

Pic is of our bird, taken from the living room, I don't think this will breach the nest rule on here, I'll remove if it does.

A

Attachments

• DSC_9111.jpg
    DSC_9111.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Thanks for the extra info' and yes, this one's just as intolerant of other birds. Maybe the advantage of the food source outweighs the safety provided by the flock. I'm hoping it comes back this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back