• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cognacq's Scaly-breasted Partridge (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Continuously cleaning up my desk, sorting my all-to-many notes and posting whatever might be worth it (however small or large) here on BirdForum, in most cases hopefully adding something to James's Key ... so here´s a possible addition on ...

cognacqi as in:
• the subspecies Arborophila chloropus cognacqi DELACOUR & JABOUILLE 1924 (here) as "Tropicoperdix cognacqi":
Named in honour of Dr. M. Cognacq, Governor of Cochin-China.
= most likely Dr (Physician) Maurice Cognacq (18701849?), Inspecteur général de l'instruction publique en Indochine 1919/1920, Gouverneur de Cochinchine 1921-1926 (here), Directeur de l'Ecole de Médecine de Hanoï, Commandeur de la Legion Légion d'honneur*... etc. etc.

Born 2 May 1870, in French Guyana, South America, Son of the Customs officer Étienne Gustave Cognacq (1825–1879) and Joséphine Marie Pauline Désirée Fouré (b.1849), ... and apparently he died at the age of 79 (in 1849?).

Either way; enjoy!

Björn

Laurent? You´re clever at finding your way around there ... ;)

Laurent? You´re clever at finding your way around there ... ;)
He doesn't seem to be in the Léonore database. (File lost? This does happen.)
He is Maurice Charles Cognacq on his marriage certificate (22 Sep 1908, Paris, 9e arrondissement; [here], image 12/31).

I would say it´s fair to assume he did die in 1949, as he nowadays is resting in Le cimetière de Saint-Ouen, and according to their info (here):
Maurice COGNACQ (1870-1949), gouverneur de la Cochinchine de 1921 à 1926, il fut vivement attaqué par André Malraux pour ses méthodes autoritaires. Il repose avec le compositeur Léo Pouget dans la 3ème division.

He's also included on the "Tourist map" of the Cemetery (here): Plan du Cimetière Parisien de Saint-Ouen. And I guess they have both a record and a Grave that confirms it!

However still no date of death found (nor place).

Björn

PS. The Claim of Maurice (Charles) Cognacq being a Commandeur de la Legion Légion d'honneur, originated from here (See Notes), but it might be erroneous (if those certain documents haven't been lost), but simply, possibly, somehow a mixup with Théodore Ernest Cognacq (here) ... !? If so I'm sorry for stating it.
--

Last edited:
PS. The Claim of Maurice (Charles) Cognacq being a Commandeur de la Legion Légion d'honneur, originated from here (See Notes), but it might be erroneous (if those certain documents haven't been lost), but simply, possibly, somehow a mixup with Théodore Ernest Cognacq (here) ... !? If so I'm sorry for stating it.
I've not seen evidence that he became Commandeur, but he is said to be Chevalier on his marriage certificate, which I would assume to be correct; so he should have been on Léonore, unless his file has been lost.
On the [database homepage], it is said that this can happen.

...he should have been on Léonore, unless his file has been lost.
Or, perhaps (admittedly just a guess on my part), he might have been excluded as a consequence of the scandals he was involved in, which led to him being forced into retirement in 1926...?
(Cf. "Les devoirs du décoré" [here].)

(Chevalier ...) Cognacq's Scaly-breasted Partridge

Sorry to re-open this old thread, but I simply had to, as yet another piece was found (as a pure sidetrack!) when searching for Delacour's and Jabouille's Emma, in thread emmae in Leptocoma sperata emmae (here).

And it's regarding the question of Monsieur Cognacq and his ("lost") records, as of him (ever) being a member/officer/Chevalier/Commander of the Légion d'honneur.

See: Pluie Rouge: Titulaire civils de la Légion d'Honneur en Indochine (... sont absent de la base Léonore, qui se limite aux dossiers versés aux Archives nationales), here (p.46 of 215);"Mise en ligne : 25 juin 2014/Dernière modification : 31 janvier 2020":
LÉGION D'HONNEUR
Officiers
Cognacq (Maurice-Charles), directeur de l'ecole de médecine de l'Indo-Chine. Chevalier du 17 juillet 1903.
There he was/is!

Björn

PS. This paper could include even more of "our guys", who knows? I haven't read it all ...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back