• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NORTH BASH - Bempton Cliffs / Flamborough South Landing (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Sunday 18th May brought us BF’s first North Bash.

At 10.00am the massed ranks of Mr. & Mrs. digi-birder, Mr. & Mrs. IanF, ron, Grousemore and myself assembled outside the RSPB Reception Centre at Bempton Cliffs Reserve.

First bird of the day in the car park, for ron and myself, was a Dunnock, followed shortly by a Yellowhammer.

We made our way to the cliffs, with some of the usual suspects showing on the way, but mostly too briefly to get a decent look.

The action was already underway at the cliffs, with quite a few birds in the air, plenty on the water, and even more on the cliff ledges.

Many of Bempton’s specialities made an early appearance, with Gannet and Kittiwake circling, and Razorbill and Guillemot darting to and from the cliffs. Setting up some of the viewing equipment at the first lookout point, a scan of the Guillemot quickly revealed one or two “Bridled” birds.

Those of you who know Bempton will know that it is numbers of birds rather than species that is it’s main appeal, and as the intrepid group headed along the cliff-tops in the direction of Hoddy Cows Lane, there were plenty of opportunities to watch the colony’s residents.

Closer inspection of the cliffs revealed a couple of Fulmar, some Herring Gull and groups of Doves. Rock (or Feral!) and Stock intermingled.

Scanning the sea and the birds in flight it was possible to track down a few Puffin, and a single Great Black Backed Gull (fortunately standing!) was on one of the rocks 400 or so feet below.

There was plenty of activity on the cliff tops also, mostly Tree Sparrows and “Pipits”. Perhaps two kinds of Pipit, Meadow was ided while the jury was out on the Rock Pipit. Not enough skill to form a consensus, unfortunately.

So as lunchtime approached, the “gang” made its way back to the car park and sandwiches – reflecting on the wind and the occasional whiff of sea-bird colony that violated the nostrils.

Lunch taken, and small logistical misunderstanding resolved (during which time some of us saw a Roe Deer and a Hare), it was time for the group photo.

Deciding that twice does not constitute a tradition, the radical decision was taken to take the photo next the picnic table, rather than the toilet block!

A photograph, I am sure will appear later, if it hasn’t already so done.

As we were leaving, Grousemore, who had missed the sighting by ron and myself commented on how scarce Yellowhammers had become in his neck of the woods, and how he would quite like to see one.

With the weather blowy, but fine, the afternoon was scheduled for a trip to the South Landing, and a walk out around the headland.

The convoy arrived safely at the South Landing, and after barely a minute Grousemore had his Yellowhammer, perched nicely atop a shrub.

Then we made our way down to the Lifeboat Station, with Grousemore saying how much he would like to see an Eider.

The waterfront looked uninteresting at first sight, then independently, the couples and Grousemore spotted a wader, and ron a duck. I merely stood in blissful ignorance!

The duck was quickly ided as a female Eider(!), the wader took a bit more debate. Ultimately it was determined to be a B-tailed Godwit (and I’m sorry folks, but I’ve forgotten which we said!!!). Gulls and Oystercatchers were also frequenting the foreshore.

Time now for the walk up the stepped path to the cliff top path (not too many athletes!) and wider views of the water’s edge. Swallows, a Skylark or two, and a Swift made there presence known, as did the thunder and lightning.

We confidently predicted that we would miss the worst of any shower, which was good news to me, as I had taken the maverick decision to leave my coat and waterproof in the car – wouldn’t need them, you see!

Anyway, for about five minutes we got absolutely soaked. My only consolation being that I wouldn’t have been any drier with all the gear on.

The shower was so heavy, we decided to cut our losses, and make our way back to the arty-farty footpath around the small wood.

As the sun returned, we stopped for the occasional look on and around the rockpools, when ron and I noticed a wader flying low and landing among the rocks. Extremely well camouflaged, we lost sight of it almost immediately, but had both noted the downcurved bill, and having discounted Curlew, tentatively suggested Whimbrel. Unfortunately, our more skilled associates were now 100 yards further on and round the corner – buy the concrete donkeys. We managed to catch up and mention our sighting, and we all returned to the scene to try to refind the bird. It wasn’t easy, but eventually we spotted it again, and with the help of some conveniently placed Herring Gulls and Oystercatchers for scale, Whimbrel was confirmed!

Back towards the wood now, and with lots of birdsong, we hoped to see a few birds, but weren’t expecting too much.

I’m happy to say that, for me certainly, things exceeded expectations considerably. Shortly after passing an apparently abandoned nest, we came across the first Blackcap of the day. This wasn’t seen by all, but that was more than made up for later.

Just before crossing the “Whalebone” bridge, we got excellent views of a Whitethroat, and then making our back to the car, we came to a “feeder station” which proved rather profitable. Although not particularly using the feeders, there were a number of good birds in the vicinity.

Everyone got a chance of another Blackcap, excellent views of more Yellowhammer, a really strikingly marked Treecreeper, a Willow Warbler, and the highlight for me (a personal lifer) a Spotted Flycatcher. A photo of this may follow also, with luck.

All in all, the day was a good one, in spite of the brief North Splash. We didn’t all see all of the birds, but I think we all saw all of the “good” ones. I hope I have done it justice.

The Bash closed with IanF and Mrs. heading back to the Far North, Grousemore heading home South, the digi-birders heading for a Fish ‘n’ Chip Supper, and me and ron back to Sunny Donny.

For the sake of completeness, the list of 50 ided birds in no particular order other than alphabetical, follows.

Blackbird
Blackcap
Blue Tit
B-Tailed Godwit
Carrion Crow
Chaffinch
Cormorant
Dunnock
Eider
Fulmar
Gannet
Goldfinch
Great Black-backed Gull
Great Tit
Greenfinch
Guillemot
Herring Gull
House Martin
Jackdaw
Kestrel
Kittiwake
Lapwing
Linnet
Magpie
Mallard
Meadow Pipit
Moorhen
Oystercatcher
Pied Wagtail
Puffin
Razorbill
Robin
Rock / Feral Pigeon
Skylark
Song Thrush
Sparrowhawk
Spotted Flycatcher
Starling
Stock Dove
Swallow
Swift
Tree Sparrow
Treecreeper
Whimbrel
White Wagtail
Whitethroat
Willow Warbler
Woodpigeon
Wren
Yellowhammer

Last edited:
Thanks very much indeed Birdman for that official report of the first North BF Bash. And what a great trip it sounds! You all seem to have a great time, and that is a marvellous list for a day's birding, especially given your soaking!

As I said to Diane in another thread, I wish I could have been with you just to see the Puffins. On the other hand, you are a very long way oop North!

Sound like a good day there.

The seabirds sound interesting, I've seen them on tv but never in the real - quite a hive of activity I'd imagine

Thanks for the kind words, peter.

We'll save some Puffins for you for when you can make it oop here!

Carlos,

It's quite a sight, but particularly the Gannets.

If you get a chance to go there, or any other Gannetry in season, it's well worth it... Fantastic Birds.

A quick thank-you to all involved in organising this trip, although
I did not get any lifers, it was a very enjoyable day out.
A special thanks to Birdman for the lift and everyone else for making it a great day out.

No problem, ron, and let me echo your thanks to the other members of the troupe.

Nice to put faces to names as well - hope to see you all again some time!

Sounds like a cracking day out Grommit!

I enjoyed the read and there would have been five lifers there for me namely, the Puffin, Razorbill, Tree Sparrow, White Wagtail and Eider. Thank you for writing about it.

We decided on Bar-tailed Godwit, Dave.

Great write-up. Thanks for compiling the list for us. And thanks to everyone for your company - it was a fantastic day.

I put the photo of the abandoned nest on the Members Meetings Post Mortems forum. Andrew reckons we were 'stringing'.

Peter, it took Grousemore only four hours drive from London, so it's not too bad. You've got to try it sometime - the sight is well worth the trip.

Equipment's all dried out now!

I echo your sentiments entirely,Diane,I had a great day and it was well worth the long drive,even though the M1 turned the 4 hours up into 5 hours back!

The new birds I saw (Puffin in particular)were obviously fantastic,but the interesting and friendly company really made it enjoyable.
As Birdman alluded to in his excellent report,everytime I asked about a particular bird,someone seemed to find it for me!

As I was saying goodbye, I speculated that we may have seen 50 different species-we did,Birdman,you missed Chaffinch from the count!!

Thanks again to all concerned for organising a great day out.

Great report Dave, I thoroughly enjoyed the trip too. I'm putting a few of the photos in a separate thread - including the Spotted Flycatcher, it's the only shot I got of it. There's one of the Curlew/Whimbrel ? too !

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back