• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EO Vortex Impact (1 Viewer)

rlosborn

EO Denali/Raven vs Vortex Impact

I am considering getting a scope and wondered if anyone had experience with the Vortex Impact 25-75 x70 scope. I like the size and lightness but wondered about the quality. How would it be for digiscoping? How does it compare with the EO Denali or Raven?
Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Have not seen Denali, the Raven is the lowest quality scope I would use. See if you can get to try actual scopes in stores, the eye piece and its usefulness is mainly what varies. At high zoom, you get a pretty narrow, dim picture. I have some doubts about the Vortex at 75x, but should work OK up to 45-50x if it is similar to Raven. Digiscoping...no experience.

Did you end up getting the Vortex Impact?

rlosborn said:
I am considering getting a scope and wondered if anyone had experience with the Vortex Impact 25-75 x70 scope. I like the size and lightness but wondered about the quality. How would it be for digiscoping? How does it compare with the EO Denali or Raven?
Thanks for any help.

I was looking at that scope, (the size really appeals to me) but can't really find any comments on it.

I don't own that scope, but looking at its general size and zoom range makes me think it is not a refractor, but rather a catadioptric like the C90 Mak. A couple searches on the C90 or C90 Mak on this site will get you more info on pros and cons That being said the Impact may make up for some of the oft-mentioned drawbacks to the C90 Mak (less that great in the areas of the focuser, the prism and the eyepiece). Then again its less than $200. :)

A bit more hunting just turned this up:
http://www.hawkeoptics.com/spottingscopes/naturemaksutov.htm

Looks eerily similar to the Vortex. ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back