• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawks and Kestrels (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
hi there

My OH has a regular influx of all types of birds to his local golf course (bird boxes included - bless them) and they vary in many ways as a bird paradise.

My OH told me that he was concerned that a Sparrowhawk may have eaten a 'half' devoured Kestrel on the golf course ..he was witnesses to all what happened. Is this feasible in the BoP department....

Would a Sparrowhawk attack a Kestrel at all? o:)

I know that Sparrowhawks eat birds, and Kestrels eat rodents mainly - I find it interesting that one BoP would take another BoP in this manner.

Love to know ones thoughts here about this subject?

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
The reason one prey animal catches another is often to do with eliminating the competition,thereby having more chance of capturing food for yourself.Hence lions will kill leopards and cheetahs if they can and in the case of BOP they of course eat what they catch.Just my thoughts on the subject.....Eddy.

It's possible, Kathy; a female Sparrowhawk will even take a male Sparrowhawk if it's in the wrong place at the wrong time. But Sparrowhawks will also eat carrion, so it's also possible that the Kestrel was already dead.

It's all about risk vs reward; and taking on another similar-sized bird with weapons to match is a big risk. Although taking the prey from behind would mitigate some of the risk, as will the Sparrowhawks long legs that keep the prey from reaching up to the Sparrowhawk's underside.

So if the Sparrowhawk was hungry enough (or young and inexperienced), and/or the Kestrel was weak/ill/old it could try for a Kestrel; whether the Sparrowhawk would get a meal or not is another matter.

All guessing though, as nobody really knows ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back