• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What a lovely day! (1 Viewer)

digi-birder

Not quite a full day birding - just a walk through the local park on the way to the station to catch the train to work.

For a few weeks now we've seen a flock of about 20-30 Redwings on some mornings. They haven't been around for a few days, but this morning they were flying above us from tree to tree. In the sunshine (why is it always sunny when it's a work day?) the red really stood out.

Also, a very, very occasional occurrence is seeing a Nuthatch or a Treecreeper, but never at the same time. This morning, just a little way along from the Redwings, a Treecreeper appeared on the trunk of one of the old trees. Then we saw another, and another - altogether about 4 or 5, we think, on different trees. Not only that, but there were also 2 Nuthatches on the same tree!

It really cheered me up for the day. Pity I didn't have the camera and we were rushing for the train. I think I'll have to do some wandering around with the camera at the weekend.

I wonder if this is some sort of gathering for Treecreepers to pair up as I was amazed to see a minimum of six in trees within a small field next to the local river.

We have plenty of Nuthatches, Treecreeper and even Goldcrest, but Redwing are lacking this year. There were plenty before Christmas but I only ever see the odd one now. Most years the large flocks are still around Feb.

Whilst trying to build up my somewhat pathetic year list I found myself at Belvide reservoir for a few ' certs '.
Just off the car park through the style and all on ONE tree were , 1 Willow Tit , 2 Treecreeper , 2 Nuthatch and 3 Great Spotted Woodpecker . Quite a sight and at the time 3 year tick's .... yeah man , why cant birding always be so easy ? .... 'cos it'd be boring Jada me owd mate ! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back