• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

18th Feb Combes Reservoir, UK (1 Viewer)

ROBL250

Whilst out in Chapel-en-le-Frith looking for a Great Grey Shrike (A rarity around these parts, and I found out I missed it by half-a mile lol) I decided to head to Combes reservoir, as on the way to Chapel I saw some Canada Geese make a pit-stop.
I started off near the Boat-house where I saw some Mallard ducks, both male and female, some Terns were also flying around.
With no sign of the geese I made my way around the other side, via a muddy path, where the Geese came into view, as did 4 Beswick swans in the same patch of water.
Walking round to where I started 1 hour earlier I saw 2 mistle thrushes playing around in the trees, they didnt mind me being there, and they were flying around half a meter above my head (Luckily I had my camera at the time, and got some great shots.)
Tomorrow im off to Morecambe bay...

Hi Rob,

Welcome to Birdforum.

I reckon your 'terns' were (B-h) Gulls and the Mistle Thrushes may have been trying to warn you away from their nest!

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Rob, So you heard that the GGS was in the area did you? I have never done Coombes Reservoir although it is quite near for me. I live about four miles from Whalley Bridge on the Macclesfield Road. Mainly I go up the Goyt Valley, Macclesfield Forest, Redesmere, Kerridge Ridge and along the river valley. Good luck in your search.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back