• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory SF Delays (1 Viewer)

Zeiss encountered a problem and delayed the launch. Every future customer should be happy they were not burdened with known deficiencies, returns, repairs, etc. Unlike software, a hardware patch isn't so easy. Bravo, Zeiss, you did the right thing!

Kammerdiner,
Every binocular/telescope producer is sometimes confronted with unforeseen problems. Swarovski had that with the introduction of the 42 mm SV's if I remember well. Everything seemed to go well, the new binoculars were announced with revolutionary lightweight metal housing, but unfortunately when the production run was about to start the new light weight metal housing was more difficult to make than foreseen so it could not fulfill Swarovski's demands. As a consequence the introduction had to be postponed, but Swarovski solved that in a very elegant way by suppllying customers who wanted the new SV with the existing EL and upon introduction of the SV it coud be exchanged without extra costs for the new SV.
No producer is happy when such events occur, but I understood from a leading Zeiss official that it took three years to develop the SV and that it had been quite a challenge to make a very lighweight housing that would accomodate the new optical construction. So I am not so surprised that Zeiss wants everything to be perfect before bringing the SF on the market.
Gijs

Thanks, Gijs! I never knew the details of that situation.

Mark

They announced the CL Pocket and "whoomp there it is." No glitches either.

Well one glitch anyhow. The image is as good as the center 360 feet of my Victory 8x32's, they're that good. Only problem is one month later and the barrels are sagging under their own weight, and I'm not near the only one. They either made the hinges too loose or designed them the same as for plastic barrels. And it looks very difficult to get the hinge cover off without cosmetic damage.

Well one glitch anyhow. The image is as good as the center 360 feet of my Victory 8x32's, they're that good. Only problem is one month later and the barrels are sagging under their own weight, and I'm not near the only one. They either made the hinges too loose or designed them the same as for plastic barrels. And it looks very difficult to get the hinge cover off without cosmetic damage.

"Zeiss never sags!"

best non-sagging birding binoculars in the world!

o:D

Well, yes there's that. Mine don't sag but I wouldn't mind having them a little tighter. Swaro can fix you up. There's also DIY instructions on one of the Pocket threads. Personally I'd probably let Swaro do it.

In part it's also relative. Having used the Swaro a while the hinges on my Leica 8x20, which I never gave a thought to before, seem too tight.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back