• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holme (1 Viewer)

MikeDale

I'm finding very little in the way of reports from Holme. Has it been turned into a Butlitz or something? It used to be one of my favourite reserves especially in the Autumn. Seen some great birds there over the years. Has it fallen out of favour for any reason?

Holme seems to be one of those places that's fallen out of favour, at least relatively speaking. In the 80s I used to go there regularly and it seemed to be regarded at the time as being one of the 'essential' places to visit during a day or weekend in Norfolk. I still vividly remember seeing my first Brent Geese, Short-eared Owl and Glaucous Gull there.

Nothing wrong with Holme! Still good in the Spring or Autumn! I suppose the only drawback is paying two sets of admission unless you're a member of both groups!

I was under the impression that if you wanted to just visit the HBO you could tell the NNT people at the entrance that you were not going on their reserve and as such they should let you in.

There always seemed to be an underlying animosity beteen the NNT and the NOA that went back to the very early days. Is it still the same today?

I'll never forget one particulary Autumn afternoon. As frequent visitors and therefore NOA members Peter Clark the Warden at the time came up to us and gave us a brief glimpse of a bird in his hand, asked us if we could identify it. Then he showed us the wing, then the head and basically gave us an ID quiz. It was an Arctic Warbler, then he let it go as he had just ringed it. Cool!

Edit! Having 2nd thoughts here, it may have been a Greenish.Senility is setting in. Well it was 30 years ago. Doh!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back