• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feisol tripods? (1 Viewer)

HokkaidoStu

occasional moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Anyone know anything about tripods made by Feisol? They seem pretty interesting.

www.feisol.com

I've been putting off buying a decent tripod for the last 6 months and have decided now is the time to put my hand in my pocket.

Actually what are peoples' experiences of carbon-fibre tripods in general? Worth the extra cash? I can get the Manfrotto 190DB/RROB fairly cheaply in Japan.

I'll be using a Pentax PF65ED scope and doing the occasional bit of digiscoping with the Baader adaptor and a cheap Nikon compact. All told just under 2Kg.

Hi Stu, just noticed your post about Feisol. I ordered a CT-3402 direct from them about 6 months ago. Took a bit of a gamble with it as I'd read some favourable reviews on the internet before buying. What I would say is that I would probably go for the CT-3401(4 section but slightly longer sections, therefore taller) or CT-3301(3 section) if you want it for most of your general birding, or even go for one of their bigger models.

I think carbon is worth the extra, but it depends on how much you want to lug it around. I bought my Feisol for occasional use with a travel scope, and wanted to be able to pack it in a rucksack, but unless this is vital to you, a 3 section pod would make more sense because of the extra stiffness.

My main pod is a Manfrotto 055 MFV which is definitely more sturdy, but isn't that much lighter than equivalent aluminium models. This seems to be the main drawback of Manfrotto carbon tripods. Other makes such as Gitzo, Velbon & Feisol produce pods with similar specs that are considerably lighter.

The small Feisol is generally well built, the legs are nice and stiff and don't flop about (as my Manfrotto does-causes pinched fingers!), but the main difference is that they flex more because they are thinner per section than the 055-as you would expect. It works best if you can sit down to use it, and is even better with the head screwed directly onto the (supplied) top plate, instead of the centre column. Obviously this dramatically affects its height. If you place both hands near the top of the legs when fully extended, it will 'rotate' just a little in both directions, again because of the extra flex in the legs compared with my 055.

I suppose the ultimate question is how do different makes compare in the long term? Mine is still new so I can't answer this. What I do know is that if something drops off my Manfrotto, or it breaks, I will be able able to get replacement parts for it quite easily. I have read several reports from customers who've bought Feisol, that have had spares sent out free of charge from the factory, no questions asked. Seems they are a newish company who are keen to make a reputation for themselves, and are going the right way about it.

Their main problem is that they only seem to be available from Taiwan, so it's difficult to test before you buy.

If you are thinking of ordering, beware that, at least in the UK, there is a hefty import charge of about £30 to pay on top of the actual price of the tripod. Cost me about £170 in total, whereas a Velbon 630 carbon would have been cheaper and sturdier for less money. Don't Know if they are available at similar discount prices in your part of the world, but the Velbons seem to be constantly available over here for around half to two-thirds the cost of my 055.

SteveClifton said:
Hi Stu, just noticed your post about Feisol. I ordered a CT-3402 direct from them about 6 months ago. Took a bit of a gamble with it as I'd read some favourable reviews on the internet before buying. What I would say is that I would probably go for the CT-3401(4 section but slightly longer sections, therefore taller) or CT-3301(3 section) if you want it for most of your general birding, or even go for one of their bigger models.

Hi Steve. I bought one last year-the 3401. It works fine with my 65mm Scope and is ok for digiscoping with a 701RC2 head.

I slightly damaged one of the legs trying to force it closed when I was in a hurry one time and had forgotten to loosen something but it hasn't affected the stability (and it was my own fault not the tripod's!).

I didn't have to pay any Duty/Taxes when I imported it here to Japan (don't get me started about rip-off Britain) so it was cheaper than Velbon, Slik etc at the time. I think it was about 20% cheaper than the equivalent Velbon and quite a bit cheaper than the equivalent Manfrotto.

Why not e-mail the company about the damage. You never know, they might send out replacement parts-even a whole new leg if that's the problem. They ought to be able to stand up to a bit of rough use, even if you were in a rush.

The cost of the actual tripod was what decided it for me too. It was only the extra £30 on top that, had I anticipated it, would have made me opt for a Velbon instead.

How do you think the little Pentax compares to, say a Kowa 603 or Nikon Ed50(which I use with my Feisol)? Pentax are currently only available at just a few dealers in the UK, so trying them out is a problem here. Heard good reports from customers who've bought them in the states, even compared it favourably with the Swarovski 65HD. I presume eyepiece choice is critical to getting the best performance?

SteveClifton said:
How do you think the little Pentax compares to, say a Kowa 603 or Nikon Ed50(which I use with my Feisol)? Pentax are currently only available at just a few dealers in the UK, so trying them out is a problem here. Heard good reports from customers who've bought them in the states, even compared it favourably with the Swarovski 65HD. I presume eyepiece choice is critical to getting the best performance?

When I got it it was less than 2/3 of the price of the Kowa 603/Nikon FS3 ED. This plus the huge choice of eyepieces swung it. There aren't many waterproof eyepieces around though (except for the Pentax XWs which are pretty expensive).

I've only looked thru the Kowa 663 and the aforementioned Nikon at a couple of reserves in Japan and the Pentax is superior. Mind you those Scopes I looked through had rather ancient eyepieces and I don't know how well the Scopes had been looked after either (they looked a bit battered and beaten). I don't have top of the range eyepieces for my Pentax-a cheap zoom off e-bay and one of the mid range Pentax ones. They are enough for my needs (and budget).

Dunno if I need to get any fresh parts for the tripod. I can straighten the one slightly dodgy leg quite easily without any loss of stability. If I tried to take it apart I'd probably do even more damage.............

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back