• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (8 Viewers)

Upton year list up to a couple of weeks ago. Add your new totals and anyone else who wishes to participate add yours and we will send it to Brian stretch

http://www.uptonwarrenbirding.co.uk/upton_warren_year_listing_45.html
Dave Walker
1. (122) Highlights - Bluethroat, Hoopoe, Spoonbill, Bittern, Mealy Redpoll, Pink-footed Goose, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Yellowhammer, Red Kite, Whooper Swan, Jack Snipe, Mediterranean Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Brambling, Waxwing. Latest: Garden Warbler.
Gert Corfield
2. (105) Highlights - Bluethroat, Hoopoe, Spoonbill, Avocet, Whooper Swan, Goosander, Bittern, Jack Snipe, Mediterranean Gull, Great Black Backed Gull, Brambling, Little Gull. Latest: Bluethroat.
Phil Andrews
3. (103) Highlights - Bluethroat, Spoonbill, Red Kite, Yellow-legged Gull, Little Gull, Hoopoe, Wheatear, Whinchat, Stonechat, House Sparrow. Latest: Bluethroat.
Dave Jackson
4. (102) Highlights - Bluethroat, Spoonbill, Avocet, Black-tailed Godwit, Bittern, Brambling, Goosander, Great Black-backed Gull (5), Pink-footed Goose, Waxwing, Yellow-legged Gull, Goldeneye, Mediterranean Gull, Little Gull, Stonechat. Latest: Bluethroat.
John Belsey
5. (99) Highlights - Bluethroat, Spoonbill, Red Kite, Tawny Owl, Jack Snipe, Stonechat, Golden Plover, Yellow Wagtail. Latest: Bluethroat.
Mike Wakeman
6. (98) Highlights - Bluethroat, Spoonbill, Whooper Swan, Bittern, Mediterranean Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Waxwing, Tawny Owl, Brambling, Yellowhammer. Latest: Bluethroat.
Andy Pitt
7. (93) Highlights - Avocet, Black-tailed Godwit, Bittern, Brambling, Goldeneye, Goosander, Little Gull, Mediterranean Gull, Pink-footed Goose, Stonechat, Waxwing. Latest: Red Kite.
Mark Peacock
8. (95) Highlights - Bluethroat, Arctic Tern, Lesser Whitethroat, Cuckoo, Whinchat, Stonechat, Avocet, Common Gull, Little Gull, Mediterranean Gull, Whooper Swan, Common Tern, Black-tailed Godwit. Latest: Bluethroat.
Gavin O'seachnasaigh
9. (90) Highlights - Bluethroat, Arctic Tern, Stonechat, Goldeneye, Common Tern, Mediterranean Gull, Barn Owl. Latest: Bluethroat.

What a cracking Day...after seeing the very obliging Spotted Sandpiper at Westwood I popped along to Upton and caught up with the two stunning Black Terns and the Bar-tailed Godwit. It was also great chatting to some of the Upton regulars that I hadnt seen for a while.

Anyway..Ive attached a couple of photos that I took at Upton earlier and here is a link to the video footage of Spotted Sand if anyone is interested:

http://youtu.be/JWzC1edI_Z8

Cheers Jase

Attachments

• Lapwing Chick - Upton Warren 03.05.11 re-size.jpg
    Lapwing Chick - Upton Warren 03.05.11 re-size.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Bar-tailed Godwit - Upton Warren 03.05.11 re-size.jpg
    Bar-tailed Godwit - Upton Warren 03.05.11 re-size.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 59
Finally 100 up.

Was a long day at work (yes us students do work too 8-P) waiting for the final whistle so I could get over to UW.

Well worth the wait, when I arrived there they were just sat straight in front of me, what awesome birds, thanks to Dave Jackson for the use of the scope, top man :t:

Finally 100 up.

Was a long day at work (yes us students do work too 8-P) waiting for the final whistle so I could get over to UW.

Well worth the wait, when I arrived there they were just sat straight in front of me, what awesome birds, thanks to Dave Jackson for the use of the scope, top man :t:

Nice one Gav. I assume you were aware that when you reach the ton the beers are on youB :)

I managed the Black Tern before work and what a beauty. Even twitched the Spotted Sandpiper at Lunchtime :t:

Finally 100 up.

Like Gert said Gav 100, means drinks all round, but if you ask me and Dave I think a good quality cake would suffice8-P:eat: Saturday's all dayer will hopefully see a good range as well as Bacon and mussies

What a cracking Day...after seeing the very obliging Spotted Sandpiper at Westwood I popped along to Upton and caught up with the two stunning Black Terns and the Bar-tailed Godwit. It was also great chatting to some of the Upton regulars that I hadnt seen for a while.

Anyway..Ive attached a couple of photos that I took at Upton earlier and here is a link to the video footage of Spotted Sand if anyone is interested:

Cheers Jase
great shot of lapo chick Jase my favourite bird
B :)John

4 shots of the view in front of the hen pool hide. In the light of last weeks Bluethroat we have tried to ensure that any further birds in this area will show well. I cut 3 narrow channels today.1 and 2 are before and 3 and 4 after. So when next passing nip in for a few minutes just in case lightening strikes twice.;)
B :)John

Attachments

• 1.b4 cutting.jpg
    1.b4 cutting.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 2.B4 cut.jpg
    2.B4 cut.jpg
    458.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 3.afta cut.jpg
    3.afta cut.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 71
  • hen pool after cutting.jpg
    hen pool after cutting.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 62
With the wader fest of the last few days I thought it would be worth looking at the habitat . The 1st pic shows the channels and mud to the left of the hide the 2nd shot shows the 'core' breeding area and the 3rd is the 'delta' area a chick rearing zone .

Attachments

• 1st Fl and channels WL .4 3rd May11.jpg
    1st Fl and channels WL .4 3rd May11.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 58
  • best core area WL 0.4 3rd May 11.jpg
    best core area WL 0.4 3rd May 11.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 54
  • delta WL 04 3rd May 11.jpg
    delta WL 04 3rd May 11.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 55

Cheers Jase

Hi Gert

Never been to westwood Pool but quite fancy a twitch. Is it open access or payable? And where about do you go?

Mike

Finally 100 up.

work??????????

nah only joking, you do get a lot to do! hope it's going well and see thee tomorrow in Biodiv.

Mike

Hi Gert

Never been to westwood Pool but quite fancy a twitch. Is it open access or payable? And where about do you go?

Mike

Hi Mike
It's a private pool and only open to those with permits which are very few and to get one you'll have a long wait! Shame as it's a lovely place. Today the owners allowed full public access for the Spotted Sand but only for a day.. I wouldn't worry though as it will be at Upton soon and that's a far nicer place.:t:

Hi Gert

Mike

Unfortunately unrestricted access was only until 6:30pm today; thereafter it will be for permit holders only (of which there are only a limited number).

Here is the updated Prediction list those in red have paid their £1
Whiskered Tern: Tim Jones
Green-winged Teal: Trevor Jones
Red-necked Grebe: Mike Wakeman
Glossy Ibis: Andy Gibb
Ring-billed Gull: Stuart Croft
Wryneck: Craig Reed
Cattle Egret: Dave Walker
Common Rosefinch: Des Jennings
Night-heron: Phil Andrews
Long-billed Dowitcher: Gert Corfield
Lesser Yellowlegs: John Belsey
Cirl Bunting: Simon Vickers
Black-throated Diver: Roger P
Spotted Sandpiper: Andy Warr
Caspian Gull : Kay D
Aquatic Warbler, Phil Quiney
Bean Goose: Graham LaB
Purple Sandpiper: Terry Hinett
Red Footed Falcon:Andy Pitt
Marsh Sandpiper :Mark Peacock,

I am sure I saw Mr Warr stuffing something into a bag at Westwwod Pool this afternoon ...

Nothing better than 1st day back at the grind finding out 2 smashing new arrivals around the patch, and the usually off lmits Westwood actually being open :eek!:

And so a new phenomenon, the after work blast to Upton has evolved. Dave was able to confirm the Terns were present, and desperate not to let Gavo get one back :-O, I elected to go for the Black Tern ahead of the Mega, risking the adverse flow of traffic :smoke: Thankfully the birding gods were kind and both were bagged ( would like to have lingered a little longer with the Terns but did not have my scope anyway)

Wayne and another of the Upton regulars were most obliging with their scopes and I had a cracking view of the Spotted Sand :t:

was still home in time for an hour on my patch..NiceB :)

Hi Mike
It's a private pool and only open to those with permits which are very few and to get one you'll have a long wait! Shame as it's a lovely place. Today the owners allowed full public access for the Spotted Sand but only for a day.. I wouldn't worry though as it will be at Upton soon and that's a far nicer place.:t:

Ah, nuts! that's a shame. have to keep looking on here then until it arrives at the Warren. Might try to sneak down and see the terns (if they're still around) on Thursday. Unfortunately work and home life keeps me away till then. If not I'll be down on Saturday hopefully. For those who don't know me (i.e. everyone except Gav) I'm the longish haired scruffy looking bloke usually trailing a 12 year old equally longish haired and scruffy looking son with me.

Mike

Tuesday 3rd May

A summary of today's sightings is as follows:

Flashes
Bar-tailed Godwit, Ringed Plover (apparently not present this afternoon), 1 Snipe, 9+ Lapwing, 8 LRP, 3 Common Sand, Gadwall, 3 Shoveler (mmf), 1 Shelduck, 16 Tufted Duck, 12 Coot, Cuckoo, White Wagtail, 7 Greylag Geese over.

Moors Pool
12 GC Grebe, 3 Little Grebe, Gadwall, Shelduck, 2 LRP, 2 Oyk, 2 Black Tern, 4 Common Tern (a substantial reduction compared to yesterday), 3 Lapwing, 19Tufted Duck, 23 Coot, Yellow Wagtail over.

Two items of belated news:
Harrier sp over the Moors Pool yesterday at 4:50pm
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker along the River Salwarpe last Thursday 28th April.

Looking forward to the early morning text tomorrow from Dave telling me the Spotted Sand is on the Sailing Pool or Flashes.

Dave, here is that image you wanted to see from today along the river.

Des.

Attachments

• Red eyed Damselfly.jpg
    Red eyed Damselfly.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 60
Nice to see the Black Tern early this morning, thanks for the txt Dave.

I know its not Upton but its close enough for me............... big thanks to Wayne Dutton for organsing the Spotted Sand viewing, I know he took the day off work to keep the owners happy and get people in to 'Fort Knox'. Nearly as rare than the Sandpiper though was Ian Ricketts on a twitch - heard a rumour John used his passport and ventured off piste today too. Quite a day.

Buy a round? I'm a poor student I'm afraid it will have to be a round of cakes ;)

Saw a really funny sight at the flashes this evening, Carl and myself were watching a fox take a stroll across the field to the left of the third flash, when all of a sudden a cow took umbrage to the interloper and started chasing it across the field. We thought the chase was over when the fox reached the hedge of small trees at the back of the field, but no! the cow continued the chase forcing it's bulk through the trees. The fox finally bolted for safety when another cow joined in the chase. Was the funniest thing we have both seen in years, and definately in my top three wildlife moments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back