• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (2 Viewers)

Smashing - not much to add to this Ed. Bet you're tempted to pop a pecsand in among them.

This reminds me so much of a scene at Heislerville WMA in New Jersey a year or two ago. I remember seeing the birds land putting my binoculars on them and finding nothing but mud, in this case a bit more yellow. Only with a lot of effort did those birds finally show up. This shows that exceedingly well.

hello all- thank-you for comments

waders progressed- a little toning up and toning down to be done here and there where one or two of them have got a bit too conspicuous: the 2 broad-billed sandpipers are meant to be prominent to act as the hook to lead the eye to the spoonie, but I have overdone them slightly so may have bit more of look during the week

but I have resolved to be ruthless about not tidying up the detail witout good reason

Attachments

• q9 600 yubu spoonie DSC_2443 copy.jpg
    q9 600 yubu spoonie DSC_2443 copy.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 64
hello all- thank-you for comments

waders progressed- a little toning up and toning down to be done here and there where one or two of them have got a bit too conspicuous: the 2 broad-billed sandpipers are meant to be prominent to act as the hook to lead the eye to the spoonie, but I have overdone them slightly so may have bit more of look during the week

but I have resolved to be ruthless about not tidying up the detail witout good reason

Oh to be in Korea in springtime! It's that time of year again when wader-watchers in these parts start craving cutlery! Beautifully rendered. Are all the stints that bright? They might well be - which makes me even keener to go!

Dave

fantastic Ed.....amazing work, perhaps it may need that upper left dark mass a bit subdued or broken up so it does not pull our eye out of the work...but it may be the photo overdid it there...so astonishing that our eye can move freely over the surface to find the birds there, brilliant

I really love this piece, Ed - it is a visual feast for the eyes! It just works on a number of levels. Well done!

had a break from the waders to reflect on what needs toning down

disastrous birding effort in a couple of free hours as I eschewed the Short-toed Treecreeper at L'guard to head to Minsmere where bitterns were booming and killing toads in full view- to find it raining and Bitterns gone to ground

so instead I had a shot at painting the marshharrier sketch from previous weekend, with a temporary self-imposed ban on use of purple and pink

Attachments

• q9 550 marsh harrier DSC_2470 copy.jpg
    q9 550 marsh harrier DSC_2470 copy.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 64
  • m harrier q9%20550%20DSC_2390%20copy%202.jpg
    m harrier q9%20550%20DSC_2390%20copy%202.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I always love seeing initial field sketches and then the painting that comes from them. Looks very good and at least in my experience a bit of a color change. New colors or not it looks very good.

Very nice work on the harrier! You captured a challenging angle, and also the 'raptor stare' that must be in every mouse or vole's nightmares.

a slightly more successful weekend than last- dropped in to enjoy a Great Grey Shrike, so close to being my favourite bird

this beast

did all the shrikey angles (especially when a guy with tattooed ears tried to stalk it for photo)

had fluffed flank feathers which covered almost all of its back and stuck up like mandarin's sails

had to lean forward to balance in the wind

and caught a lizard

back home some good news too: Barn Owls are back in the garden, with route to nest taking one adult on a swerve between the house and my son's football goal

Attachments

• q9 550 DSC_2499 copy.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_2499 copy.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 55
  • q9 550 DSC_2507.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_2507.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 56
gone for a quick kill on the shrikey painting - all done in less than an hour for better or worse

onward!

Attachments

• q9 550 DSC_2510 copy.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_2510 copy.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 53
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back