• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Friends of Red Kites - in the North East of England (2 Viewers)

If anybody has an opportunity to visit the roost they shouldn't miss it as the numbers of Red Kites using it is still going up. You have every chance of seeing 50+ Red Kites and it really is a spectacle, not just to see but to also hear.

Red Kite Ramble

The National Trust

RED KITE RAMBLE

24th February 2013

Friends of Red Kites will be helping

National Trust, Gibside

with a Red Kite Ramble.

Assemble at the Visitor Centre
at 2.30p.m.
and discover the secrets of Gateshead’s favourite bird of prey.

Normal admission prices apply.

National Trust members are free.

Attachments

• Red Kite - Ian Curran.jpg
    Red Kite - Ian Curran.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Flight of the Red Kite Exhibition about to be launched

Our project Flight of the Red Kite has reached its launch date - Monday 11th March 2013 at Gateshead Civic Centre.

Attached is the announcement and the programme of Exhibition dates throughout the region.

Friends of Red Kites hope that you will find a Community Venue near you. Go along and enjoy the suite of photographs which make up the exhibition.

For more details: http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page16.htm

Note: South Shields Museum & Art Gallery Commences 8th June, not 4th as in schedule.-

Attachments

• Exhibitions leaflet (A5).docx
    247.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Launch Event _ws.JPG
    Launch Event _ws.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Flight of the Red Kite Exhibition launched

Leader of Gateshead Council, Councillor Mick Henry formally declared the Exhibition open as he unveiled, with the assistance of Allan Withrington the Angel of the North.

A Presentation was given by Judy Summerson and the story of the mosaic was told by Harold Dobson.

The guests had enjoyed a buffet lunch before the meeting and afterwards they took time to appreciate the images, taken by Kaleel Zibe and the volunteers, which make up the suite of photographs.

All details about community venues where the exhibition can be viewed are on the website: www.friendsofredkites.org.uk

An article by Tony Henderson is here: http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2013/03/12/newcastle-photographer-captures-majesty-of-red-kite-in-flight-61634-32968388/#sitelife-commentsWidget-bottom

Attachments

• Launch by C MH_62.jpg
    Launch by C MH_62.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 50
Red Kite Breeding survey 23rd March 2013

Red Kite Survey - 23rd March 2013

Friends of Red Kites are seeking volunteers to help out with the above survey.

It will take place on Saturday 23rd March between 09.00hrs and 12.00hrs in Northumberland and Durham.

The primary aims of the survey are:

(a) to determine how many red kites there are in the north east of England

and

(b) to determine how widely distributed the red kites are in both counties.

The best way to survey is to find good vantage points, preferably high ground, which overlooks woodland and the adjacent countryside. Kites will be on territory at this time and are more likely to be seen over or near woodland. There is no need to walk through the woodland looking for kites, the aim is just to determine numbers. Please record any breeding behaviour on the forms (click on links below and print off relevant form) e.g. displaying, carrying nesting material, interaction with other birds etc. This will be followed up to confirm whether breeding has taken place or not.

The survey area could be your local patch or a place of your choosing which has mature woodland.

If the weather is poor on Saturday then the survey can be carried out on Sunday morning, 24th March.

To register an interest or if you have any queries contact Ken Sanderson at [email protected]

Forms are available for

Red Kite Survey Form - Northumberland

Red Kite Survey Form - Durham

Pair of red kites in Northumberland

A report has come in of a pair of red kites seen in the Swarland area.

Please keep looking; it would be so encouraging to know that the kites are moving up-county. The more people know, the safer the kites are! I know that sounds rather odd, but in fact that is one of the reasons why our released kites have thrived in their core area - the community loves them and knows that they are there.

Years ago, we had a family in the Powburn area, but they disappeared - so sad!

Attachments

• Swarland kites.JPG
    Swarland kites.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 61
Red Kite sightings just reported

Reports of red kites being seen this week include one between Wark and Bellingham and in the area west of Rock in Northumberland.

Our monitoring team visited the Swarland area and intends to go there again as two kites were said to be in the Hall Wood area recently.

Please keep looking and if you see any kites, please send in a report, either to this forum or to our website, using the Sightings sheet provided.

Flight of the Red Kite Photographic Exhibitions

Our Exhibitions are currently at Gateshead Civic Centre, Whickham Library and Blackhall Mill Community Centre.
Next month they will go on tour starting at Thornley Woodlands Centre, then St. Mary's Church, Ponteland and Morpeth Library.

There should be an exhibition near you at some point during the year.:t:

More details here: http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page16.htm

Attachments

• Exhibition ExPo Morpeth.JPG
    Exhibition ExPo Morpeth.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Exhibition Ponteland.JPG
    Exhibition Ponteland.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Exhibition Thornley WC.JPG
    Exhibition Thornley WC.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 37
WT 3, a Grizedale red kite from Cumbria is here to stay

It certainly looks as if this Cumbrian kite likes being with our kites and is making itself useful.

Here is Lee Steadman's lovely capture of WT 3 in full flight, with talons clutching
nesting material.

Attachments

• Derwent R_Red Kite 2 Lee Steadman.jpg
    Derwent R_Red Kite 2 Lee Steadman.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 51

And what cracking pics they are! The kites are in really good shape aren't they? Their plumage looks good and healthy.
Notice the transmitter aerial on the nape of the kite's neck in image 2.
These transmitters tend to give up after about two years.

Have you heard of Hawkskead Photography? They run courses throughout the year, for all levels.
http://www.hawksheadphotography.com/ I'm doing a Farnes Workshop in June; really looking forward to it.

Hi everyone, I hope you don't mind a Midlands imposter coming in to visit you all.
I own a few acres of land in Worcestershire and it makes sense (for insurance and support) to be a member of the NFU. Members get a monthly magazine called Countryside.
Whilst my conservation credentials are not ultra-green I'm an awful lot greener than your average farmer!
In the may edition of Countryside, there's a letter (see attached .pdf) that has really got my blood boiling. It's my intention to fire a rebuttal across this guys bows via the letters page next month. I am already planning to mention the Red Kites aren't a "new species" and the fact that illegal poisoning, either indirect or targeting raptors and scavengers like the Kite, are repeatedly reported from almost every country in the EU including Great Britain where at least 60 of the reintroduced birds have been found dead and intoxicated by a variety of pesticides and especially rodenticides - presumably spread by irresponsible land owners.
I then intend to move on and remind the readers that the most significant predators of Lapwing chicks (apart from mowing by farmers and trampling by livestock) are Corvids (particularly Carrion Crows but also Magpies and Jackdaws) other bird species including Grey Heron and Gulls and mammals such as Red Fox, Brown Rat, Stoats and Weasels and the domestic cat.
Can anyone supply me with any more ammunition to shut this pillock and his like-minded friends up, please?
Addendum: For some strange reason I can't add the attachment, either in .pdf or .jpeg format. Let me reboot and see if that helps...

Attachments

• RK Article.pdf
    298 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Could you please send your enquiry direct to our Chairman and Kite officer then we may be able to help you.

[email protected]

I'll forewarn him of your BF enquiry.

Hi everyone, I hope you don't mind a Midlands imposter coming in to visit you all.
I own a few acres of land in Worcestershire and it makes sense (for insurance and support) to be a member of the NFU. Members get a monthly magazine called Countryside.
Whilst my conservation credentials are not ultra-green I'm an awful lot greener than your average farmer!
In the may edition of Countryside, there's a letter (see attached .pdf) that has really got my blood boiling. It's my intention to fire a rebuttal across this guys bows via the letters page next month. I am already planning to mention the Red Kites aren't a "new species" and the fact that illegal poisoning, either indirect or targeting raptors and scavengers like the Kite, are repeatedly reported from almost every country in the EU including Great Britain where at least 60 of the reintroduced birds have been found dead and intoxicated by a variety of pesticides and especially rodenticides - presumably spread by irresponsible land owners.
I then intend to move on and remind the readers that the most significant predators of Lapwing chicks (apart from mowing by farmers and trampling by livestock) are Corvids (particularly Carrion Crows but also Magpies and Jackdaws) other bird species including Grey Heron and Gulls and mammals such as Red Fox, Brown Rat, Stoats and Weasels and the domestic cat.
Can anyone supply me with any more ammunition to shut this pillock and his like-minded friends up, please?
Addendum: For some strange reason I can't add the attachment, either in .pdf or .jpeg format. Let me reboot and see if that helps...

Ian Carter listed the food eaten by Red Kites during the breeding season in his book "The Red Kite" so that's a good source of information (see attachment), the book is a brilliant read and is loaded from the first to last page. You would expect to find some evidence of them taking Lapwing chicks as they would take them back to the nest more often than not.

Nobody can say that a Red Kite has never eaten a Lapwing chick, they probably have. Whether they would kill a Lapwing chick is debatable but again, they probably have at some point. The fact that they are not listed suggests that if they have it will be a very small number.

The food in the table is listed as high, medium and low. This is ranked in order of importance to the diet of the Red Kite in those areas.

Attachments

• Food Type.pdf
    178.2 KB · Views: 76
Flight of the Red Kite Photographic Exhibition now at Thornley Woodlands Centre

After a successful run at Gateshead Civic Centre, Whickham Library and Blackhall Mill Community Centre, the exhibition has moved to Thornley Woodlands Centre for two periods in May.
Here two visitors are looking at the display panels, made up of professional photographs and also those taken by several of the Volunteers of Friends of Red Kites.

Attachments

• TWC EX_50_website.jpg
    TWC EX_50_website.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 38
Flight of the Red Kite Photographic Exhibition now in Ponteland and Morpeth

The major Exhibition is now in St. Mary's Church, Ponteland - open all day every day - and the minor display is in Morpeth Library.

Attachments

• PontExpo_112_JA web.jpg
    PontExpo_112_JA web.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 32
  • PontExpo_87_JA web.jpg
    PontExpo_87_JA web.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Morpeth FoTRK EXpo_85 copy.jpg
    Morpeth FoTRK EXpo_85 copy.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 42
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back