• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Friends of Red Kites - in the North East of England (2 Viewers)

I have Just one point to make about your posts Cinereous, yours use of ??? does come over as a bit aggressive, maybe if you use just one you would not sound so angry.

Your right.... I haven't go my 24hr head on.. I like your signature by the way..
That's been my philosophy for many years.. I'd never heard it was attributed to Socrates...

Blueshortwing.. I agree I'm blunt and have very strong opinions.... not aggressive...

Last edited:
Hello Birds of Prey experts! I am new to your forum and would love some crazy advice. See, I'm not a birder, my 10 year old son is and showed me your site. He spends all of his allowance on bird guides while I keep busy running my non-profit dog rescue in Los Angeles. My dog rescue specializes in small breeds- the kind birds would love to take back to their nests! Would anyone like to help me out with advice by messaging me? Thanks for your time everyone!

Welcome Dogbird

Good to hear from you. You are obviously very keen to encourage your ten-year old son to develop his interest in birds, which is great. I hope he finds our website www.friendsofredkites.org.uk full of information and interest. Sometime soon, I shall be uploading an article specially written for us by Helen Baines, who is active on the Osprey threads here on BF and is also OPUS Editor - she is going to send news and photos/maps about the Mississippi kites! Look on our News & Features page.

One very important point. Red kites are carrion eaters, and love earthworms and beetles, and tiny mammals such as mice and voles, but they would not take small dogs, puppies or cats.

Encourage your boy to explore all Birds of Prey. I've just spent four days in Scotland, visiting Loch of the Lowes, seeing Lady and her single chick and Loch Garten, where EJ and Odin have two thriving chicks. In the Lake District there are two chicks being raised at Bassenthwaite. You never know, you may be raising a future expert ornithologist!

June Atkinson
Press & Publicity
Friends of Red Kites

Hello Birds of Prey experts! I am new to your forum and would love some crazy advice. See, I'm not a birder, my 10 year old son is and showed me your site. He spends all of his allowance on bird guides while I keep busy running my non-profit dog rescue in Los Angeles. My dog rescue specializes in small breeds- the kind birds would love to take back to their nests! Would anyone like to help me out with advice by messaging me? Thanks for your time everyone!

Thank you June, I am sure he knows about the site but will mention it. The photos on some of these sites are gorgeous!
I hope to hear from more experts out there because I have heard many stories about birds and domestic pets out there and wish to learn more.
Everybody needs to eat, right?

Red Kite Gateways for Rowlands Gill

Our red kites have inspired many things from glass kites created by Rena Holford to a Ruby ale created by Wylam Brewery!

The latest news is of new signage for Rowlands Gill. Go to our website for all the details. The model and information can be seen at Thornley Woodlands Centre and the Public Library.

These new signs will be an attractive addition to our Home of the Red Kites in the Derwent Valley. The signs have been made by Craig Knowles, an artist blacksmith based in Sunderland.
http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page2.htm

Attachments

• Rough Artwork ws.jpg
    Rough Artwork ws.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 24
Mississippi kites

Helen Baines, who is the Editor of BirdForum's Opus encyclopedia and moderator of the Bassenthwaite thread, has agreed to write an article for Friends of Red Kites about her American kites.
It is fascinating and very informative, with lovely photographs accompanying Helen's text.
Go to http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/

Helen and John, her husband, are coming to the UK next month and will be taken on a Kite Safari to see our red kites.

Hi june
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but myself and a friend found a dead Red Kite, just outside barnard castle last year, they were however breeding in the same area the year before, i wanted to take the bird and hand it in to the R.S.P.B, but my friend advised me against it. Just in case the bird had been poisoned.
I know they bred in 2010/2011 but we have not seen the birds in that area since last year, maybe this is the same pair what were poisoned in the teesdale area has stated by the gentleman above (Mickr).
Any sightings i have or any confirmed breeding in the teesdale area i will inform yourself and the B.T.O.

Thanks Damian.

Reporting a dead kite

You're right in thinking that Teesdale is a dangerous place for our kites. We have lost several in the past.
If you ever find anything of importance or interest, please get in touch, either with me here or through our Webmail on the website. There is a Sighting Sheet which you can use to send in any info, too.
http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page6.htm

Our Chairman, Ken Sanderson lives in Barnard Castle and is always keen to receive any information about kites in the area.

Thanks for posting this. I have forwarded it to Ken and he will add this dead kite to our database.

Hi june
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but myself and a friend found a dead Red Kite, just outside barnard castle last year, they were however breeding in the same area the year before, i wanted to take the bird and hand it in to the R.S.P.B, but my friend advised me against it. Just in case the bird had been poisoned.
I know they bred in 2010/2011 but we have not seen the birds in that area since last year, maybe this is the same pair what were poisoned in the teesdale area has stated by the gentleman above (Mickr).
Any sightings i have or any confirmed breeding in the teesdale area i will inform yourself and the B.T.O.

Thanks Damian.

Dead kite

Hello again, Damian,
I sent a copy of your message to our Chairman, Ken Sanderson, who lives in Barnard Castle.
He would appreciate it if you could give us either the map reference or the location name. Often, dead pheasants are taken for dead kites, but Ken would still like to have the details if you can remember where you found it.

Many thanks,
June

Hi june

Thanks Damian.

Helen Baines, who is the Editor of BirdForum's Opus encyclopedia and moderator of the Bassenthwaite thread, has agreed to write an article for Friends of Red Kites about her American kites.
It is fascinating and very informative, with lovely photographs accompanying Helen's text.
Go to http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/

Helen and John, her husband, are coming to the UK next month and will be taken on a Kite Safari to see our red kites.

We're now back from our trip to the UK and would like to thank June and Harold (another member of the Friends of Red Kites) for organizing the Kite Safari for us. We had a great day and saw several kites at pretty close range.

A correction about my work on BirdForum, June! I am one of several editors who work on building and editing the bird and location pages in the Opus encyclopedia, not "the" Editor!! I think it's time there was an Opus Location page featuring the Red Kite Trial in the Derwent Valley, so that will be on my agenda over the next few weeks.

Finally, here's a Red Kite we saw at the end of the Kite Safari. It is interesting to note the shape of the tail, due to the moult condition.

Attachments

• Red Kite-tail moult.JPG
    Red Kite-tail moult.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 78
An interesting view of a kite's tail!

Glad to know that you are now back home and that your travels went well.
Apologies about the "editorship" error - but the job is still important :)

This photo is the first I've seen showing a kite's tail in a moulting phase.
May I add it to our website, on the Red Kite page, with an acknowledgement of course? It's such a clear image and rather unusual.

We're now back from our trip to the UK and would like to thank June and Harold (another member of the Friends of Red Kites) for organizing the Kite Safari for us. We had a great day and saw several kites at pretty close range.

A correction about my work on BirdForum, June! I am one of several editors who work on building and editing the bird and location pages in the Opus encyclopedia, not "the" Editor!! I think it's time there was an Opus Location page featuring the Red Kite Trial in the Derwent Valley, so that will be on my agenda over the next few weeks.

Finally, here's a Red Kite we saw at the end of the Kite Safari. It is interesting to note the shape of the tail, due to the moult condition.

Glad to know that you are now back home and that your travels went well.
Apologies about the "editorship" error - but the job is still important :)

This photo is the first I've seen showing a kite's tail in a moulting phase.
May I add it to our website, on the Red Kite page, with an acknowledgement of course? It's such a clear image and rather unusual.

Yes, please use the photo on your website. If you need a larger image, let me know and I'll email it to you. That one is 800x533 pixels. If we have any more good photos I'll send them over, too.

Red Kite seen at Prestwick Carr near Ponteland

Nutcracker kindly sent a message to me saying that a kite had been spotted at Prestwick Carr.
Birdguides also announced it.

This is a very interesting reserve and certainly worth of a visit at almost any time of the year.

Attachments

• Prestwick Carr.JPG
    Prestwick Carr.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 68
A Double Anniversary for Friends of Red Kites

2014 will mark the 10th Anniversary of the release of the first Red Kite chick in Gateshead's Derwent Valley and the 5th Anniversary of Friends of Red Kites.

We have plans to celebrate. One is a Photographic competition, which is open to Members, non-Members and Young Persons.

Details are on our website at: http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page14.htm

We hope Bird Forum members will take up the challenge. The judges are two prominent professional photographers and the Awards will be given at The Sage Gateshead next July.

Argaty red kite visits our kites in the Derwent Valley

Keen-eyed Paul Ratcliffe spotted something unusual about a red kite near his home in Rowlands Gill. The kite flying was sporting red tags, which alerted Paul to the possibility that it was not one of our local birds of prey, but a visitor. He took several photos, which he sent to me.

Paul and I gathered info from the Argaty (mid-Stirlingshire) Red Kites Project, working out that it was most probably a 2012 bird. The tags were still a good colour, a letter Z was visible, the bird was in good condition and flying strongly. I contacted Michael McDonnell, the Head Ranger in Doune. He replied saying it was definitely one of their kites, and could we get the rest of the tag info.

We are keeping an eye out; I did see it flying the following day over Spen Lane, but it was too high to photograph any detail.

If you live in that area, please keep a look out; our visitor is out there somewhere!

Attachments

• Argaty kite_629_PRatcliffe.jpg
    Argaty kite_629_PRatcliffe.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
From Ducks to Dopplers

Monday 9th December 6 - 7 pm at The Sage Gateshead. Ticket £3

This lecture, by Dr Simon Elliott, forms part of the Medical Ultrasound Conference, 9 - 11 December 2013.

Our Flight of the Red Kite Exhibition will also be there, by invitation.

Attachments

• Sage_Med Conf_JA.jpg
    Sage_Med Conf_JA.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 61
  • BMus Live Event.JPG
    BMus Live Event.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 45
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back